E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #21
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
Y not just take it to your local bmw collision center & ask them how much to get those chips/dents/scratch out? .... a Estimate?

your car probably look good for next 3/5 years..... with $600 investment "Don't do mods for 6 months lol ??? which is a lot better then looking at new car paint & yours. Be like: Damm my car paint sux.... well true, 10 years ....

which is exactly what im going to do soon, after so many uncomfortable spots on my doors / hood when looking at it.
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #22
Pete_repete

My Ride: 98 Civic, 02 M3
I work at a body shop and most of the time touch up paint looks like doo doo. If it's only the hood and bumper that are all chipped get those 2 fully repainted. On my e46 m3 the fenders and the qtrs both have a million chips as well as the hood, I just painted the front bumper because the previous owner kept hitting parking blocks in the parking space. But for me I have a scratch on each door and acid from prev owner on 1 qtr. I am just going to repaint the whole car. If u just want to get rid of the rust color just put touch up paint over it until u have enough time/ money to repaint it. Painting just the hood will make the fenders look slot older. You can have the car detailed after it's painted but that new paint look won't last more than a couple months. My advice is just wait till u have enough money and repaint the whole car.
Pete_repete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #23
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
I LOL with the syringes they sell to replace chips and all that. It takes like 1 hour to fix 3 chips that will come back the next day. Just repaint it, and add some filler in the front for reinforcement
Dr. Color Chip works better than the factory stuff- I have both. And adding filler to your car is something to be avoided unless it is absolutely necessary. Add it for reinforcement?! What in the hell?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I tried drcolorchip. Meh.

There are threads on it here...sorry...it's not quite so good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Peyton, I tried it, followed directions, and got horrible results.

If I left it on too short a time it wiped off. Too long a time, it wouldn't come off easily from where I didn't want it.

Please, if you recall...how did you apply it? I've still got mine sitting around from 5 years ago...I'd give it a shot again based on your endorsement!
You didn't do it right. Try again. It does take some elbow grease to do it right. For road rash and small chips wipe it off sooner- bigger chips wipe it off later. Do not apply much pressure with the Sealact solution or it'll pull the paint out of the chip. If you're having a hard time use more solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsteg View Post
People on this site have a very strong conviction about "doing things right the first time" and not "cutting corners" when it comes to the upkeep and maintenance of their cars.

It shocks me that this many people are willing to take a cheap way out when it comes to their paint job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsteg View Post
Touch up paint is fine if there isn't already rust forming like in the OP's picture. You can touch that up all you want but the fact is the rust will spread.

And to paint the hood will not cost $1500.
If the rusty chips are just on the surface and have not started to travel under the paint (aka no bubbles) then the method I mentioned will work. $1500 would get you a decent front end respray. Less? More than likely not so good.

Last edited by Grande D; 08-22-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #24
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Yes, something like trucks have. That stone coat. Take it to the shop and tell them to stone coat the front of the hood and then paint over it. WIN.
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #25
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
Based on getting my hood repainted twice for the same reason, $200 to$400 sounds right for a excellent job. Perfect match.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #26
lsteg

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb328i View Post
Based on getting my hood repainted twice for the same reason, $200 to$400 sounds right for a excellent job. Perfect match.
Yeah I still don't agree with $1500 as an average cost for front end re-spray.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #27
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
Yes, something like trucks have. That stone coat. Take it to the shop and tell them to stone coat the front of the hood and then paint over it. WIN.
He should just take it to Maaco for an ice cream paint job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb328i View Post
Well if you had it re-painted twice for rusty chips it probably wasn't such a great job. Paint quality is not just how the paint matches but also how it holds up. Or is there something I don't know?
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #28
lsteg

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Well if you had it re-painted twice for rusty chips it probably wasn't such a great job. Paint quality is not just how the paint matches but also how it holds up. Or is there something I don't know?
I'd be interested to see how far apart those paint jobs were.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #29
Sweetness

Seriously...just take it to get resprayed if yours was as bad as mine was
Old 08-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #30
Sweetness

Quote:
He should just take it to Maaco for an ice cream paint job.
Stop trolling you god damn ZHP Fiend
Old 08-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #31
Hoebama

My Ride: e46
Quote:
If the rusty chips are just on the surface and have not started to travel under the paint (aka no bubbles) then the method I mentioned will work. $1500 would get you a decent front end respray. Less? More than likely not so good.
That is just like saying your paint is rusted. Fix it before it gets to the metal. Wrong man
Old 08-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #32
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867
You didn't do it right. Try again. It does take some elbow grease to do it right. For road rash and small chips wipe it off sooner- bigger chips wipe it off later. Do not apply much pressure with the Sealact solution or it'll pull the paint out of the chip. If you're having a hard time use more solution.
Did the DrColorchip thing on my car this spring. Looked VERY good.
Then we went on a road trip. Stayed fine for 2 days, but, after a week, it looked pretty much as it did before the "repair".

Maybe, if the Drcolorchip repair was done, then the clear bra applied...
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote