E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
fastsoup

My Ride: currently seeking
Strange Humming **vids included**

Howdy folks,

So I wanted to adjust my headlight beam last night, turned the ignition to on, went under the hood only to hear this very strange humming coming from a black box that looks to be mounted right by the oil dipstick (video below) Any idea's what this is?

http://s778.photobucket.com/albums/y...t=20120830.mp4

I also have a squeal which is constant no matter what temperature the vehicle is at. Recently changed the rad hoses and pulleys; belt seemed in good condition so I didn't change that. Any ideas?

http://s778.photobucket.com/albums/y...0120830001.mp4

Thanks guys,

F
fastsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #2

My Ride: E39
The black box that is making noise is called a DISA flap. You should replace it. The part number is: 11-6-17-544-805. When you take it out you'll see that the flap is most likely separated.

The squealing is hard to isolate on the video. You replaced all pulleys? Sounds like a deflection pulley or alternator. You can use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope to isolate.

Good Luck!
94583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
sounds like DISA.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:44 AM   #4
MntnTwisties

My Ride: 04 325i
Is it making that noise with the engine off?
MntnTwisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I have a humming after I turn the car off too...never really looked to see what it is as my car runs fine, so I figured it was normal...and I still figure that.

Squeal? Yes, as mentioned, if you didn't replace all three pulleys (2 tensioner and 1 idler) then that might be your squeal source.

Pulleys can be installed at a slight angle...if idler's pin doesn't fit in the notch, it'll be off. Any of the other pulleys might be bad too...doublecheck them when the belt is off (PS, ALT, and WP). Use a hose as stethoscope to isolate squeal if you can...as you want to make sure it's not stuff you really need...like alt and wp. Usually the pulleys on these are fine, but in particular with the wp, if it goes, you'll be stranded or worse if you don't know what to do when the car starts to overheat.

Look well. I don't think your humming is an issue...but the squealing sounds like pulley to me. Replace your belts if you don't know they've been done in the last couple of years. Also, when you put the belt back, did you put it back in the same direction? If not, that could cause squealing right there I think.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
fastsoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MntnTwisties View Post
Is it making that noise with the engine off?
Yes...
Old 08-31-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
fastsoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I have a humming after I turn the car off too...never really looked to see what it is as my car runs fine, so I figured it was normal...and I still figure that.

Squeal? Yes, as mentioned, if you didn't replace all three pulleys (2 tensioner and 1 idler) then that might be your squeal source.

Pulleys can be installed at a slight angle...if idler's pin doesn't fit in the notch, it'll be off. Any of the other pulleys might be bad too...doublecheck them when the belt is off (PS, ALT, and WP). Use a hose as stethoscope to isolate squeal if you can...as you want to make sure it's not stuff you really need...like alt and wp. Usually the pulleys on these are fine, but in particular with the wp, if it goes, you'll be stranded or worse if you don't know what to do when the car starts to overheat.

Look well. I don't think your humming is an issue...but the squealing sounds like pulley to me. Replace your belts if you don't know they've been done in the last couple of years. Also, when you put the belt back, did you put it back in the same direction? If not, that could cause squealing right there I think.

The humming is new, unless I have always missed it until the day I decide to correct my headlight aim. The strange thing is that the humming is only there when the car is warm/hot, never cold. Now that I have done some searching, it seems that the DISA somehow regulates torque at low RPM?? Someone correct me if I am wrong. It's also something that you don't want breaking further while still on the vehicle because apparently it can cause some series damage to the block.

I am not 100% that I put the belt on correctly. I will remove and diagnose the pulleys to make sure they were installed correctly. I was just hoping someone could pinpoint the exact issue by just watching the video; wishful thinking I guess.

Last edited by fastsoup; 08-31-2012 at 11:24 AM.