E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
325CiMaN

My Ride: 01 BMW 325ci 3.0L
Crank but no start

Its a 01 325ci with 3.0l swap. I just got computer back from AA. Went out plugged in computer, cycled key to get fuel pressure, started it ran for about 30 seconds and then died..., now will crank but won't start. I am going to check the crank position sensor cause i don't sere rpms while cranking. What Else? Help please? If anyone is in the Napa area with a scan tool that would help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
325CiMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
325CiMaN

Anyone!?

Old 08-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
325CiMaN

Buller buller...

Old 08-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Kalim Fuse, fuel pump fuse, FP relay, listen for FP...maybe Fuel pump.

Maybe a computer mess which is why no one is suggesting much beyond what's in about 100 threads on 'crank, no start' Use advanced/title search for that.

Try cycling key on for 10 secs. off for 10 secs a couple of times...then try to start.

...and then it could probably be a whole host of connections not connected too.

Sorry, OP...not much new for you, but hth...and a bump.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
325CiMaN

Thanks just jumped the fuel pump relay and still no start... Hmmm

Old 08-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
dmax

There are many reasons for a crank, no start. Did you check the Kalim Fuse...the 20 amp fuse in the e-box fuse pack that feeds, among other things, the FP relay. If kalim fuse blows, you crank, and don't start.

You said you jumped the relay...was it not getting power? Also, fyi, the fp and horn relay are the same and can be swapped. That said, almost every time the fp fuse and relay seem fine, it's the fp. Have you heard it priming...you have the 50 psi you need at the rail.

...and nothing personal...you know you have fuel? Fuel gauge is often wrong when it reads 1/4 tank.

I suspect, with all you've done, that it's a connector you missed somewhere...maybe a hidden vac line or the like. Also, according to my odd theories, it'd be something you forgot near the end of one of your last hardest days working on the car...when you see the light at the end of the tunnel...and thus aren't paying attention to the road going through it! Happened to me many times!

You obviously know more than me, so the best I can do is ask about the simple stupid stuff! I don't know how you'd test your computer, per se, but you seemed to be wondering about it...so if it was reprogrammed to work in your car with a different engine, I wonder if something there is involved...but guess you want to eliminate everything you can before concluding computer is at fault. I'm sure you can test it, but I wouldn't know where to begin other than wander around wds.spaghettidecoder.org (something like that).

GL!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 08-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
325CiMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
There are many reasons for a crank, no start. Did you check the Kalim Fuse...the 20 amp fuse in the e-box fuse pack that feeds, among other things, the FP relay. If kalim fuse blows, you crank, and don't start.

You said you jumped the relay...was it not getting power? Also, fyi, the fp and horn relay are the same and can be swapped. That said, almost every time the fp fuse and relay seem fine, it's the fp. Have you heard it priming...you have the 50 psi you need at the rail.

...and nothing personal...you know you have fuel? Fuel gauge is often wrong when it reads 1/4 tank.

I suspect, with all you've done, that it's a connector you missed somewhere...maybe a hidden vac line or the like. Also, according to my odd theories, it'd be something you forgot near the end of one of your last hardest days working on the car...when you see the light at the end of the tunnel...and thus aren't paying attention to the road going through it! Happened to me many times!

You obviously know more than me, so the best I can do is ask about the simple stupid stuff! I don't know how you'd test your computer, per se, but you seemed to be wondering about it...so if it was reprogrammed to work in your car with a different engine, I wonder if something there is involved...but guess you want to eliminate everything you can before concluding computer is at fault. I'm sure you can test it, but I wouldn't know where to begin other than wander around wds.spaghettidecoder.org (something like that).

GL!
Figured it out! Thanks its the kalim fuse... Now it runs top notch! Thanks

Old 08-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
dmax

What? No way! That random idea has only worked 3 times here...once for me (sort of).

Wow...you owe me a pic of Marisa!

A recent set

Old 08-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
What? No way! That random idea has only worked 3 times here...once for me (sort of).

Wow...you owe me a pic of Marisa!
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
dmax

BTW, that fuse controls 9 things...I've posted the list here before...also in Bentley.

In my case, it blew because of an internal short in the intake cam wire (I'd kinked it doing ccv probably). Anyway, just in case this happens again, start unplugging things and see what's causing it to blow. That said, I've read of accounts where that was it...the fuse...and all was good.

Go figure!

A recent set

Old 08-31-2012, 02:53 PM   #11
325CiMaN

Thanks man! I wonder why that fuse blows... I don't have a sorry anywhere i just checked. Hmmm strange.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:21 PM   #12
dmax

You don't have a sorry?

That's fine...just the pic of Marisa (Tomei) will do...if she's wearing a sari, all the better.

My Kalim fuse blew because of the intake cps wire having a kink in it. There are many things hooked up to it...and one of them might still have a kink/bare spot that's hitting ground. As I said, there was a case where it was fuse and that's all...hope that's true for you too...but if not, you have your issue narrowed down to 9 things...pretty easy(ish)

A recent set

Old 09-01-2012, 02:47 AM   #13
325CiMaN

Quote:
You don't have a sorry?

That's fine...just the pic of Marisa (Tomei) will do...if she's wearing a sari, all the better.

My Kalim fuse blew because of the intake cps wire having a kink in it. There are many things hooked up to it...and one of them might still have a kink/bare spot that's hitting ground. As I said, there was a case where it was fuse and that's all...hope that's true for you too...but if not, you have your issue narrowed down to 9 things...pretty easy(ish)
I don't have short anywhere.. That's what i meant

Old 09-01-2012, 05:08 AM   #14
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325CiMaN View Post
I don't have short anywhere.. That's what i meant

Then smooth sailing and good luck!

A recent set