E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
TimV10

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i
Question Can anyone help any?

Hey everyone!

I bought myself a 1999 323i about a month ago. I have a question to anyone who knows quite a bit about these cars mechanically. Hopefully you guys can give me some answers on what it may be!

The problem I am having is that when I back out of my driveway or a parking spot, once I back out and I have the wheel turned to the left or to the right.. I hear sort of like this clicking sound.. Its not a repeating clicking sound, it just clicks once or twice. It only does it when I am sitting still and turning the wheel, or moving barely at all and turning the wheel(like pulling in or out of a parking spot or driveway kind of speeds). It sounds like its coming from the front driver side tire, its hard to say where for certain the noise is coming from while inside the car, but I also looked up under the front of the car at the driver side tire, and what I "Believe" is to be the Tie Rod.. The Boot on it is actually tore in 2 spots. I had the tires balanced and an alignment done on it once I bought it.. and the alignment is already out again now. (About 1,000 miles later, give or take 100 miles). I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is the tie rod or if its something else. I know its hard to diagnose something without seeing it or hearing it, but any info you can lend will greatly be appreciated. I dont know much about these cars, but really would like to learn. If you can guys, help me out some! Please & thank you!!

Oh... Plus my girlfriend has a 99 323i, and there is like a humming noise coming from her rear end it sounds like...? Its honestly sounds like the brakes may be locked up in the back, but they arent? Any idea what that could be? I appreciate everything and if it would help, I can try to post some pictures of the tie rod and it's boot to show its condition! Thanks guys and Im happy to be a part of E46's Fanatics!!! Below is my 323i, I'll get a list up soon of all the extra's and upgrades on it and will post more pictures of it on my profile once I get the chance! Thanks again everyone!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	467168  

Last edited by TimV10; 09-01-2012 at 12:39 AM.
TimV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
For a 99 e46, almost certain:
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:28 AM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
OP, on your clicking, check the PS level when cold and level...should be to the second mark on the 'cap dipstick.' It's the reservoir that says "ATF only" That's the power steering reservoir.

Also bleed the system by turning the wheels to full lock, left and right, about 3 times each. I roll slowly in my driveway and just do "S's."

Look under your gf's car for anything funny looking...paying attention to the rear subframe (around the rear, rear axle carrier bushings).

Could be diff whine too...could be tires...could be tire pressure--make sure they match the door jamb pressure.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
I am not sure about the humming noise coming from your girl friend's rear end, but this E46 Board is not the correct Forum to address this. You may want to pay allot of attention to that. In regard to your car, I had that noise due to failing lower control arms---easy to check.
Let us know how you make out with your girl friend.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
TimV10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
For a 99 e46, almost certain:
Hey MercForHire,

I took it to my buddy Matt, he works at Fields BMW in the Service Center and he told me it was my Tie Rod. He has ordered me the parts and is going to have them replaced and do the alignment to it once he gets the parts! I appreciate the help though. What was the pic of though? Was that in ref. to my tie rod noise or was that in ref. to my Girlfriends 323i? Hers didnt do this when she got it back in 2011, Feb. It started making the roaring/humming noise like maybe a few weeks ago. I keep telling her she shouldnt drive it like that but you know women when it comes to vehicles! If it starts, goes into drive, and runs still... they dont care!

I appreciate the info tho.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
TimV10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb328i View Post
I am not sure about the humming noise coming from your girl friend's rear end, but this E46 Board is not the correct Forum to address this. You may want to pay allot of attention to that. In regard to your car, I had that noise due to failing lower control arms---easy to check.
Let us know how you make out with your girl friend.
Hey jayb328i,

Yeah sorry about that, I am new to the site and am still learning! Im just trying to get some answers on this thing before she kills this damn car, because its a Beautiful car and the Motor and tranny are in great condition, plus I am still trying to get a hang of the site and learn everything about it. I will have them checked out then asap! I appreciate the help on it and will keep you updated! I appreciate ya not being an asshole like some people I have already encountered on here! I was wondering too, could you possibly tell me the CORRECT answer on this.. My Girlfriend is being told that when she changes her brakes, she needs to replace the rotors too. Not just now, "EVERY TIME" she does a brake change.. I really dont know too much about these cars, I LOVE them, and want to learn more about these cars.. But as of right now I have no idea if shes being told stories or not? I appreciate it everything and Thank you!
Old 09-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
TimV10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
OP, on your clicking, check the PS level when cold and level...should be to the second mark on the 'cap dipstick.' It's the reservoir that says "ATF only" That's the power steering reservoir.

Also bleed the system by turning the wheels to full lock, left and right, about 3 times each. I roll slowly in my driveway and just do "S's."

Look under your gf's car for anything funny looking...paying attention to the rear subframe (around the rear, rear axle carrier bushings).

Could be diff whine too...could be tires...could be tire pressure--make sure they match the door jamb pressure.
Hey dmax,

I just want to say Thank you for the info! I am actually going to go look up under her car now! I'll keep everyone posted on what it is once I get this thing figured out! I know the tire pressure is good though, I keep up with that because she dont so I try to stay on top of it lol! I appreciate everything though!