E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Barbaros

My Ride: 02 TIAG M5
She won't let in! Need help to convince her!

Hey guys! I recently picked my car up from the bodyshop and now I just realized that my central lock does not work. I have to lock all the doors manually and use the key to lock/unlock the driver side door. I also have to use the key to lock/unlock the trunk. The worst part is that I really need to gas my car but I can't do that too since the gas cap is left locked!!! I tried using the green plastic emergency wire that is located in the trunk to pop it open but it broke. I really need some help guys!! Thanks in advance!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
For the gas...remove the panel on the right side of trunk behind battery tray...you should be able to figure out how to release gas cap directly without that cord. I haven't done it, but know you'll be able to figure it out.

On the rest...take back to body shop and ask them what they might have done that caused this. Could be, I suppose, battery is dead from not being in the car for a while...you have another key?

You might try removing switch to see if it got unplugged...but based on exterior painting, not sure why that would be.

Looks like the car came out nice...hope you like it!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
Barbaros

Didn't even get to actually see how that cord works to release the cap. I have no idea what it does to it an how it works. Now I have to improvise without breaking things. Also I would rather try and fix the central lock myself. All the door panels were removed as well I believe something was left unplugged there, but I am not sure what that is.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Computer bus connection can be tricky on these cars. When I had bodywork done on the driver's side and they messed with the mirror, that messed up the passenger side mirror remote operation.
Had to go to the dealer to get a software update for the mirrors!

Get some gas now!
Stinger9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
dmax

For the gas cap, you'll probably find where the end of the cord extends over to the gas door mechanism.

Somewhere around the gas door...on the 'lock side' not hinge side, you'll find a 'thingy' that you should be able to pull/push/ etc and at least get you gas until you figure the rest out.

Wish I could help you with central locking, but I bet the shop would have an idea of what they did/didn't do...bet it's simple.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 09-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Could be, I suppose, battery is dead from not being in the car for a while...you have another key?
This was my first thought as well.

How long was the car with the shop?
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
Barbaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
For the gas cap, you'll probably find where the end of the cord extends over to the gas door mechanism.

Somewhere around the gas door...on the 'lock side' not hinge side, you'll find a 'thingy' that you should be able to pull/push/ etc and at least get you gas until you figure the rest out.

Wish I could help you with central locking, but I bet the shop would have an idea of what they did/didn't do...bet it's simple.
I finally figured how to pop it open from inside the trunk. It was exactly as you said. Thank you. I got gas right away lol. 4 miles before it was drained!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound View Post
This was my first thought as well.

How long was the car with the shop?
I have the older type of key which has battery in it. I believe the diamond shaped key does not have a battery located in it, it gets charged when in ignition(?).
Old 09-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
dmax

Ah, then a new battery might solve your problem...go to radio shack tomorrow...and have some small phillips head screwdriver...very easy to replace the battery...and you need it for the fob buttons to work. Though, you say that the central lock doesn't work, so I don't think it's the battery so much anymore...though I'm not sure how this system works.

Glad you got gas!

Oh, also for grins, maybe you or someone locked your glovebox so that the trunk button and central locking won't work (I think).

Try turning the key in glovebox the other direction it's in...I think vertical is unlocked...horizontal is locked. Might be something stupid like that.

A recent set

Last edited by dmax; 09-01-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #9
fiveightandten

My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
Does the central locking button on the center console work?
Old 09-02-2012, 12:13 AM   #10
Barbaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
Does the central locking button on the center console work?
No it does not work.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #11
fiveightandten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaros View Post
No it does not work.
Did they do any welding on the car? Did they take any interior components out (door cards, center console)?

Check the switch that senses the hood is closed (in front of the open box area in the engine bay) to make sure the hood is actuating that. Take note of if the interior lights are turning on when you open up the driver's door, passenger side door, and trunk (and the indicators are illuminating on the dash)

If that stuff looks normal, disconnect the battery, turn the headlight switch to the parking light position, wait a few minutes, turn it back off, reconnect the battery. See if that resets it.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #12
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
fix the button and replace the battery in the key. these are pretty common issues.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #13
fiveightandten

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbimmer View Post
fix the button and replace the battery in the key. these are pretty common issues.
This is true. But what are the chances of the button and the key battery both working fine before he brought it to the body shop, then both failing simultaneously while it was there?