E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #81
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
FYI they wont admit it but if your married the magic computer in the sky will reject you for some jobs.
They really DONT want married guys in EOD, Air control, and some other black craft jobs.

Dave
dwtaylorpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:38 PM   #82
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_POWER View Post
I would say 75% of aviators earn a degree not related to aviation. My buddy got his degree in advertising, and another in theater LOL.....

I would say the spread for slots are 50% academy, and the other 50% split between OCS and ROTC.
I was at the UCLA commissioning last Thursday. Let me count to you how many are headed to Pensacola and who are with useless majors.

13 comissioned

Ensign Wendy: Poli Sci - Swo
Ensign John: Poli Sci - Aviation
Ensign Kevin: Physics - Aviation
Ensign Jordan: Poli Sci - Aviation
Ensign Ian: Poli Sci - Aviation
Ensign Chelsey: Classical Civilizations - Swo
Ensign Melissa: Anthropology - Aviation
2nd Lieutenant Chris: Accounting and Film/Television/Digital media - basic school
2nd Lieutenant Sarah(asian girl): Asian Humanities(made me lol) - basic school
Ensign Arielle: Global Studies - Aviation
Ensign Stacey: Psychobiology - Aviation
Ensign Daniella: Chicano Studies - Swo
2nd Lieutenant Miguel: Poli Sci - basic school

I'm sure most schools end up being like this.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:45 PM   #83
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx View Post
FYI they wont admit it but if your married the magic computer in the sky will reject you for some jobs.
They really DONT want married guys in EOD, Air control, and some other black craft jobs.

Dave
not so sure if thats the case with EOD, i know several married guys that are EOD and a few that cross trained into it already married.
id say most SOC jobs they dont want married people getting into it, but i dont think they'lll straight reject you, just maybe advise you to look elsewhere or something.
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:48 PM   #84
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish View Post
Oh man, she's going to be at Lackland (Sept 11 thru Oct 30). Im going to Goodfellow tomorrow ... Only for a week tho
damn... oh well. i'll catch up with you at some point again soon.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #85
Swish

My Ride: 2004 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
damn... oh well. i'll catch up with you at some point again soon.
No doubt... when do you come back? Maybe you can make it to my retirement on 30 August.

"If you want to move past racism, you have to STOP LABELING EVERYTHING BY RACE / 2000_328CI"
Swish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #86
Snik
OEM ///Member

End of the month. Pretty much just enough time to pick up my car drive to vb. rent a uhaul truck and trailer and drive to Eglin. Iirc my check in date is the 31st.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #87
prowlerflyer

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
My wife has been with me from before my commissioning. Things about marriage and the military:

- Talk to her about about it, it can't be just for you, it has to be for the both of you. Explain career progression, deployments, pros and cons of military life.

- To have a marriage that survives military service, you have to have a strong independent wife. Emotional needy or not a self-starter will become a burden, and most likely lead to divorce.

- When you deploy, she needs to be prepared to do EVERYTHING. There is never a guarantee that you will have connectivity or free time to allow you to take care of home business. You need to be able to focus on work, its your butt in harms way.

- Although it varies with service and community, the military does take care of family if you know what is offered. Also, small, tight units like Naval Aviation squadrons and SEAL teams really bond together and familys have a high degree of support.

That all being said, my wife has been doing the military bit with me for 18yrs and we enjoy our life. Its not without its ups and downs, but what isn't. Go into it with eyes wide open, educate yourself on opportunities and services and you'll get the most out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
prowlerflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #88
prowlerflyer

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I don't have any specific questions as far as this goes, but I'm simply trying to compare different atmospheres of the services apart from the hard facts and job titles. Just curious about what the lifestyle is like.
The smaller, more specialized, and rigorously selected jobs will usually have the best job satisfaction and family support. Naval Aviation, Naval Special Warfare, Army SF, etc. are some communities that are tight knit.

Its hard to describe what its like, but my cousin, a very wealthy broker, envies my work and our community friends/support. Of course he is a retired multi-millionaire at under 50, and that's not likely to happen to me any time soon.... I can also say I am proud of the work I do daily, and what I have experienced.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
prowlerflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:02 AM   #89
wontonjon

My Ride: grocerymobile
Late to the party an didnt read all 5 pages but I sum up some salient points made by others...

- if you can commission as an officer, it'd be hard to pass that and go enlisted. I have the utmost respect for my fellow NCOs, but as someone mentioned, it's hard to pay the bills as an e1-4. I've also worked with many an enlisted with a degree - they sometimes have a hard time connecting/meshing with their younger counterparts in training. Think 17-18year old straight out of HS or with GED vs you with a degree. Sometimes it just doesn't jive well.

- flying a desk is inevitable as an officer...especially as you're set on the AF (unless that changed through the 5 pages).

- keep the questions coming and if you have any specific ones, feel free to PM.

----and congrats on retirement Swish!!! I am finishing up my final week of terminal leave before separating. Am having a tough time with letting go oddly enough!
wontonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #90
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
Hello again everyone, I come bearing updates: (Swish I STILL am meaning to get around to calling you )

With my graduation this upcoming spring season, I've been forced to do some serious thinking about a lot of things. I will cut to the chase, I've decided I am enlisting in the Air Force

But you'll have a bachelors degree!?
True. Which is good because now I'll start at E3, with my intention on having a career in the military, I have no need to rush into becoming an officer just yet.

Why not wait until you can commission and just get a civilian job?
Another option I thought heavily about, but I'll have a degree in Psychology, which essentially requires graduate school to get a job in any reputable field. I am just simply done with school, I'm going to beast out my senior year, and thats going to be that. Some people are just done with school, others can go on to graduate and post graduate... Not this guy. I'm not bad in school either, just simply done with this part of my life.

Why do I want to enlist over commissioning into another service?
Student loans will begin to collect 6 months post graduation. I'll owe my school about $30k which isn't bad at all now a days for college debt. That said, I need to leave before this time period so that I can begin to pay off college debt promptly. The waiting list for the Air Force OTS is far past 6 months, and to be honest the only other service I would consider commissioning into would be the Army, but I'm not sure that its for me. All in all, my GPA is not impressive enough to commission right now being its a 3.0 out of 4.0 with a major in a non technical field.

Whats the dream sheet look like?
If all goes the way I plan it, which I know is rare, I will enlist in the AF. I very much want to be part of enlisted Air Crew, with most preference on becoming an aircraft loadmaster. I will put Travis AFB as my #1 base on my dream sheet where I could be stationed with my little brother, a C-17 Crew Chief. I want to be enlisted and work with my hands, travel the world, maybe get overseas for a tour or two, and then in at the end of my 4 year enlistment, my college debt will be history, I'll have benefits established, a future setup fpr myself, and then attempt to commission with prior enlistment on my record. If not, I'll evaluate if I want to enlist again. By that time, my current girlfriend will have graduated the same college I am about to, and (not jinxing this) I will ask her to marry me and move out with me. This is the one thing I am sure of at this point.

Talked to my recruiter, this coming fall break from classes is when I'll go take my ASVAB and physical and such.

A massive thank you goes out to everyone who posted in this thread with ideas and different routes. I continue you to please keep them coming because I know many many people find themselves in the same situation as me and could benefit from this thread. Thanks very much guys.

Last edited by bostonsc4; 09-04-2012 at 03:27 PM.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #91
speedcrazy1532

My Ride: is over
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
Hello again everyone, I come bearing updates: (Swish I STILL am meaning to get around to calling you )

With my graduation this upcoming spring season, I've been forced to do some serious thinking about a lot of things. I will cut to the chase, I've decided I am enlisting in the Air Force

But you'll have a bachelors degree!?
True. Which is good because now I'll start at E3, with my intention on having a career in the military, I have no need to rush into becoming an officer just yet.

Why not wait until you can commission and just get a civilian job?
Another option I thought heavily about, but I'll have a degree in Psychology, which essentially requires graduate school to get a job in any reputable field. I am just simply done with school, I'm going to beast out my senior year, and thats going to be that. Some people are just done with school, others can go on to graduate and post graduate... Not this guy. I'm not bad in school either, just simply done with this part of my life.

Why do I want to enlist over commissioning into another service?
Student loans will begin to collect 6 months post graduation. I'll owe my school about $30k which isn't bad at all now a days for college debt. That said, I need to leave before this time period so that I can begin to pay off college debt promptly. The waiting list for the Air Force OTS is far past 6 months, and to be honest the only other service I would consider commissioning into would be the Army, but I'm not sure that its for me. All in all, my GPA is not impressive enough to commission right now being its a 3.0 out of 4.0 with a major in a non technical field.

Whats the dream sheet look like?
If all goes the way I plan it, which I know is rare, I will enlist in the AF. I very much want to be part of enlisted Air Crew, with most preference on becoming an aircraft loadmaster. I will put Travis AFB as my #1 base on my dream sheet where I could be stationed with my little brother, a C-17 Crew Chief. I want to be enlisted and work with my hands, travel the world, maybe get overseas for a tour or two, and then in at the end of my 4 year enlistment, my college debt will be history, I'll have benefits established, a future setup fpr myself, and then attempt to commission with prior enlistment on my record. If not, I'll evaluate if I want to enlist again. By that time, my current girlfriend will have graduated the same college I am about to, and (not jinxing this) I will ask her to marry me and move out with me. This is the one thing I am sure of at this point.

A massive thank you goes out to everyone who posted in this thread with ideas and different routes. I continue you to please keep them coming because I know many many people find themselves in the same situation as me and could benefit from this thread. Thanks very much guys.
Good Luck to you man and stay safe. As a word of advice on a completely different front; please consider waiting to get married. Take a look at how many relationships last at the young age we are at.

-Phil
speedcrazy1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #92
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcrazy1532 View Post
Good Luck to you man and stay safe. As a word of advice on a completely different front; please consider waiting to get married. Take a look at how many relationships last at the young age we are at.
Thank you sir. As far as marriage is concerned, that is something thats obviously going to be figured out as time goes on, just the last part of that dream sheet. If we are still together when that time comes it will have been about 4 years together, so all I can do is wait patiently and see.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #93
Pierce1

My Ride: 03 330xi
Did you ever consider getting a reserve comission? Reserve officers get their choice of what branch of the military be it Army, Airforce, Navy, Marine, they would like to be in. Granted, it would not be active duty, but you could try to go active in the field you would like later.
In my case I went Army OCS and went to the Corps of Engineers.
Pierce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #94
vilseck21

My Ride: B_Cryus's mother
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx View Post

Dave
This is further from the truth, this guy knows squat. Active duty since 1997
vilseck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #95
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Word of advice........try to get all the 'high speed ' training out of the way first..........Air Assault School, Airborne School, Ranger School, SEER school (escape and evasion school) all those schools that require time away from home and physical stamina. Do it now, while you are young and physically fit. It is also good to do it while you are single. Also, try to go to as many schools as the AF will permit you to attend. They are all helpful. I don't care if it is NBC School, Master Fitness Training, Vehicle Recovery School (towing stuck vehicles out of mud and ditches), sniper school, cake decorating school, Equal Opportunity School...........don't turn anything down.

Because when you get further along in your career, everyone is going to have the same background and anything extra you do will separate you from the crowd. Besides, it is fun to learn something new, especially if you are doing it away from the unit.

OH yeah.......they are not going to allow you to serve in the same unit as your brother.
The same post maybe, but not the same unit.

Last edited by Raymond42262; 09-04-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #96
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce1 View Post
Did you ever consider getting a reserve comission? Reserve officers get their choice of what branch of the military be it Army, Airforce, Navy, Marine, they would like to be in. Granted, it would not be active duty, but you could try to go active in the field you would like later.
In my case I went Army OCS and went to the Corps of Engineers.
This is not a bad idea if you don't care about being active duty.

I'm currently assigned as an Army National Guard OCS Instructor/Trainer. There are two routes here for 09S (officer candidate MOS): accelerated (go to basic, go to OCS for eight weeks, graduate and commission), and traditional (go to basic, two weeks of phase one, fourteen months of phase two, two weeks phase three, graduation and commissioning).

Any way you chose to go, though, keep in mind that all the branches are tightening their respective belts. Smaller budgets are coming our way fast, and the windows are getting smaller and smaller.

As far as girlfriend goes, remember that the military sees her as persona non grata until she's your wife. As junior enlisted you'll most likely be living on post in barracks, and regardless of whether she moves to live near you or not, that's where you'll be living. Don't jump into marriage because it's convenient.

Finally, if you want to become an officer, do it for the right reasons (pay is near the top of the list for wrong reasons).

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #97
drew09

My Ride: 2002 325ci
USAF LT here..I'm currently at Vance when I was here for pilot training. I decided it wasn't for me and reclassed as an Aircraft Maintenance Officer. Let me know if you have any questions.
drew09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #98
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew09 View Post
USAF LT here..I'm currently at Vance when I was here for pilot training. I decided it wasn't for me and reclassed as an Aircraft Maintenance Officer. Let me know if you have any questions.
What made you realize that being a pilot wasn't for you?
Old 09-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #99
drew09

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
What made you realize that being a pilot wasn't for you?
I realized I enjoyed flying more as a hobby rather than a job. I'm happy I still get to work with planes though.
drew09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #100
Pierce1

My Ride: 03 330xi
[QUOTE=NOVAbimmer;14705269]This is not a bad idea if you don't care about being active duty.

I'm currently assigned as an Army National Guard OCS Instructor/Trainer. There are two routes here for 09S (officer candidate MOS): accelerated (go to basic, go to OCS for eight weeks, graduate and commission), and traditional (go to basic, two weeks of phase one, fourteen months of phase two, two weeks phase three, graduation and commissioning).

Sounds like the Army has shortened OCS. When I went it 8 weeks Basic and 14 weeks OCS.
Pierce1 is offline   Reply With Quote