E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
325-Nick

My Ride: 325 ci
Coilovers, some advice?

I have a 2001 325ci with the OE sport suspension, at a little over 154k miles. Had this car for 7 years now! Also i am on stock sport 17" rims, style 44's. Been really noticing the shocks/struts are at it's end of life. so after some research I've pretty much decided to go with the KW V2. I do not track, just spiritual driving. I have drove cars with coils on them nd i like that stiff fealing it gives. I am more just afraid going for the V1's and not getting that stiff feel I am looking for. Which is why I will probably go for the V2 and get the dampening adjuster thingy!

The advice I really need is do I need to replace the rear shock mounts and get some front camber plates? I will probably go for the rear ones but camber plates are $300+ and I just don't want to pay for that. And would you guys recommend changing the control arm bushings while I am in there? Or would it be even needed?

Anything else I will need to install these V2's?

Will probably do the install myself and maybe grab a friend.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
- Rear shock mounts
- Strut pinch bolts
- Shock mounting bolts
- Front strut mounts
- Front strut reinforcement plates

The front mounts are not always needed but make you job a LOT easier (no need to compress springs or take apart old front suspension)

And as far as I know, no camber plates are needed. Not sure what made you think otherwise.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
- Rear shock mounts
- Strut pinch bolts
- Shock mounting bolts
- Front strut mounts
- Front strut reinforcement plates

The front mounts are not always needed but make you job a LOT easier (no need to compress springs or take apart old front suspension)

And as far as I know, no camber plates are needed. Not sure what made you think otherwise.
Agreed. When I did my car I just did a check of the the parts that could be replaced. New top mounts do make the job easier but in some cases you can just re-grease and using a spring compressor.

Great choice on the KW V2s. If you need a price let me know.
1-888-230-1288
kristina@thesuspensionsource.com
www.thesuspensionsource.com
Kris@TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
325-Nick

My Ride: 325 ci
Thanks for the replies, I don't know why I thought to beleive that I needed camber plates. Must have been just from all the DIY or videos I watched on Coilovers and saw most putting up camber plates. But I will be get front and rear mounts but were can I get the strut pinch bolts and shock mounting bolts, dealer?

Also forgot to mention if anyone else knows with my stock style 44 rims will I need any spacers to keep them clear?
Old 09-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325-Nick View Post
Thanks for the replies, I don't know why I thought to beleive that I needed camber plates. Must have been just from all the DIY or videos I watched on Coilovers and saw most putting up camber plates. But I will be get front and rear mounts but were can I get the strut pinch bolts and shock mounting bolts, dealer?

Also forgot to mention if anyone else knows with my stock style 44 rims will I need any spacers to keep them clear?
Footnotes for the kit: When using original tires, wheel offset spacers may be required

On my KW Street Comforts I had to use spacers with my VMR wheels. The housing/spring come pretty damn close to the wheel without spacers.
1-888-230-1288
Old 09-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

5mm is typically plenty
1-888-230-1288
Old 09-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
ModBargains II
Sponsor

My Ride: Evo 8GSR
Send a message via AIM to ModBargains II
Great choice by going with the KW V2's you are going to love them!

We do have them in stock ready to ship out same day PM coming your way.

We Specialize In: BMW Parts | BMW Tuning | Avant Garde Wheels | VMR Wheels | BMW Headlights | Alufelgen Wheels
Sales
| Gilbert@ModBargains.com | (714) 582-3330 ext. 8004
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00am-7:00pm | Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
ModBargains II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
IamMiike

My Ride: 01 330ci
I am also getting coilovers soon and was wondering where to buy new hardware? Or is it ok to use the old hardware?