E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #41
Crestwood1001

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedly View Post
steptronic is like M1-M4 If I'm correct?
1-5 you have use of all the gears
Crestwood1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #42
PrecisionX

My Ride: 2002 330CI
This is confusing me
Old 09-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #43
Wickedly

My Ride: BMW 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 View Post
1-5 you have use of all the gears
Yep you are right
Wickedly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #44
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
D is regular driving mode. S is a sport mode where it revs higher before it shifts. Both D and S, the car shifts for you. In M mode (M1, M2, M3, M4, M5), you push the lever to indicate when you want to shift, so in theory it gives you more control.

My issue is that when in M, it doesn't shift as quickly as you want it to so you have to actually "shift" earlier than you would and then the car responds. Also, eventually, if you don't shift in M mode, the car will shift for you to not over-rev the engine.

I'd be a much bigger fan of STEP if the shifts in M mode were more crisp. One thing it does give you is the downshift when wanting extra oomph to pass, for instance. But, that's a whole different topic and I don't want to detract from the original post.

EDIT: Oh, and to answer the question, I mostly drive in S mode, except for those few times I'm downshifting (which automatically makes it M mode) for passing power. I eventually go back to S mode.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete

Last edited by johnrando; 09-05-2012 at 05:40 PM.
johnrando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #45
PrecisionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
D is regular driving mode. S is a sport mode where it revs higher before it shifts. Both D and S, the car shifts for you. In M mode (M1, M2, M3, M4, M5), you push the lever to indicate when you want to shift, so in theory it gives you more control.

My issue is that when in M, it doesn't shift as quickly as you want it to so you have to actually "shift" earlier than you would and then the car responds. Also, eventually, if you don't shift in M mode, the car will shift for you to not over-rev the engine.

I'd be a much bigger fan of STEP if the shifts in M mode were more crisp. One thing it does give you is the downshift when wanting extra oomph to pass, for instance. But, that's a whole different topic and I don't want to detract from the original post.

EDIT: Oh, and to answer the question, I mostly drive in S mode, except for those few times I'm downshifting (which automatically makes it M mode) for passing power. I eventually go back to S mode.
How do I get into S mode?
Old 09-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #46
deliroast

My Ride: '02 M3 vert
Send a message via Skype™ to deliroast
shift from drive over and dont move it up or down
deliroast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #47
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionX View Post
How do I get into S mode?
you move the selector to the left once you're already in D and on your dash you will see S D.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #48
PrecisionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
you move the selector to the left once you're already in D and on your dash you will see S D.
I was used to being in D or switching it over for M, rookie move but in other news S mode is way better than D and I'm not crazy about M now that I know either
Old 09-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #49
Nick_M3

My Ride: 2005 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbuilder View Post
Bought my 2000 Touring new. If I had wanted a manual transmission, I could have saved myself about 1700 bucks. I happened not to want the cheap way out. Mine has 74K on the clock. Oh, no mods, now or ever. Why? I doubt if either you are I are as good as the factory designers or engineers. They didn't create the Ultimate Driving Machine by accident. Why would you want to fuk up what they did?
The easy way out? Nobody buys a stick to save money. Last time I checked an auto was easier to drive than manual.
Nick_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #50
PrecisionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_M3 View Post
The easy way out? Nobody buys a stick to save money. Last time I checked an auto was easier to drive than manual.
I don't buy in to the ultimate driving machine crap but I do believe that autos are cheaper than manuals in the enthusiast secondary market segment, I would have had 30,000 miles more on a manual car identical to mine than my auto for the same price due to fanboi manual following, I bet that most of the manual nazis would get smoked by a good driver in a step.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #51
Nick_M3

My Ride: 2005 325ci
Quote:
I don't buy in to the ultimate driving machine crap but I do believe that autos are cheaper than manuals in the enthusiast secondary market segment, I would have had 30,000 miles more on a manual car identical to mine than my auto for the same price due to fanboi manual following, I bet that most of the manual nazis would get smoked by a good driver in a step.
I completely understand what your saying but the guy bought his car brand new. And was making the argument that from the factory manuals are cheaper. He didn't buy used so the mileage would be irrelevant. Plus I would think that with a short shifter and aftermarket clutch/flywheel combined with the lag of a step that a manual would still be quicker. But even if not its the control and driving experience that come with a stick. BMWs aren't about practicality they are machines designed for the driving enthusiast. Ok I'm done don't wanna hijack the tread anymore than I already have. My apologies op.

Last edited by Nick_M3; 09-05-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Nick_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #52
johnrando

Quote:
I was used to being in D or switching it over for M, rookie move but in other news S mode is way better than D and I'm not crazy about M now that I know either
Yup, once you go left in to S mode, you just don't shift and it stays in S mode. If you start shifting, that makes it M. To get out of M or S mode, just shift it back right into D. If I go into M mode and I want to get back to S, I just go right to D, then quickly left to S and I'm set again. The tranny doesn't care when you move between the modes.

AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
Old 09-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #53
CSL323

My Ride: '05 330Cic
Send a message via Skype™ to CSL323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afternoongamer View Post
Bought myself out of high school and has become my project ever since.

2001 330ci 135k step

Other mods not seen in pictures:
M3 cluster
CF trim
Bimmain Autocarbon wheel
AA chipped
AA performance water pump
AA headers
UUC TSE3 full
Upgraded fan clutch
ZHP headliner
+ many other things I can't remember now.

Mods on my to do list:
Csl CF trunk painted
GTR CF hood painted
Vented front fenders ( not m3 ones )
Full suspension
Rims
Auto to 6 speed. ( in a very long time )
AA stage 2 with meth posabbly
Well that's an interesting engine bay...

Here's my step. Old photos when it was sorta dirty

2005 BMW 330Cic Individual
CSL323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #54
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Someone really created this thread...
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #55
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
So you just said that you wanted a manual but got the auto because it was cheaper, yet you think people who prefer manual are stupid? Manual is more fun than auto, it has little to do with speed. Auto's are fine if all you want is a sit in and relax car, as a sports car, I don't get it. As for mileage, who cares? I would happily buy another BMW with 250k or more miles on it... these cars run forever.

I'm really not trying to argue manual over auto, just saying that your argument doesn't make any sense...

Last edited by EverydayGetaway; 09-06-2012 at 12:42 AM.
EverydayGetaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #56
johnrando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
This will turn into an auto vs. manual thread in 3...2...1...
LOL Zell. You might have been a couple of posts to early. Hopefully it won't fully get there.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:04 AM   #57
sj408

My Ride: E46
Another steptronic right here. Just smoked corners and sidemarkers. Also a slight drop on springs. No major future mods other than maybe tints, clear taillights, and maintainance. And i usually drive in manual mode

sj408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #58
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Current mods: smoked corners and side markers, MTech 2 front and rear, Bilstein PSS and shocks, powerflex FCABs, M5 fog lights, tint.

Future mods: launch control.

Anyone want to make a launch control retrofit DIY?
Old 09-06-2012, 01:38 AM   #59
adaseb

My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
Yeah that's one reason why I don't manually shift because of the half a second delay in shifting gears.
adaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #60
PrecisionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayGetaway View Post
So you just said that you wanted a manual but got the auto because it was cheaper, yet you think people who prefer manual are stupid? Manual is more fun than auto, it has little to do with speed. Auto's are fine if all you want is a sit in and relax car, as a sports car, I don't get it. As for mileage, who cares? I would happily buy another BMW with 250k or more miles on it... these cars run forever.

I'm really not trying to argue manual over auto, just saying that your argument doesn't make any sense...
When did I say that people who pref a manual are stupid? I was talking about the guys post and people who actually buy in to the ultimate driving machine stock is the best it can be crap.

I don't care what anyone says, to get the right car for the right price you need time, if you don't want to over pay for a nice 3er you need time which not a lot of people have, just like time not a lot of people can travel a long distance to get to one, not everyone has a infinite level of cash.

I bought my car because for the mileage, condition and price it was a stand out winner over what the other stuff available was. Not everyone buys a car for one reason and 50 went through my head when picking this one but I'm happy with it. No one said people who pref manuals are stupid

Tags
autotragic, slushboxes