E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > New England

New England
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
MA ME NH RI VT

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
BMWuberwagon

My Ride: '01 LSB M3
Send a message via AIM to BMWuberwagon
Moving to Cambridge/Boston!! Need Advice!!

Hi guys,

I live in DC right now but will be taking a job in Cambridge, Mass. I was wondering if anyone here could give me some advice on places to live. I'm looking for places that are fun and have good nightlife for a single guy in his late 20s. After rent, utilities, and parking, etc., I'm budgeting 2300-2500 a month.

Also, I will be coming with my M3 so my plan was to just rent a parking spot in a garage just outside the city and use public transportation for going to work and getting around. I figure I will only be able to drive the car a few months in the year anyway.

I'm originally form Los Angeles and have been living in DC for the past year, so this will be a real transition weather wise since last year's winter was soft.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

MODS:
Bilstein PSS9-ACS Replica Front Strut Bar-LED (Taillights, Sidemarkers, Front Indicators)-Matte Black Grills-CF CSL Front Bumper-Chromium Predators-Matte Black V710 19X8/8.5-LED Interior Bulbs-UUC Evo3 SSK w/DSSR-///M Stitched Shift Boot and E-Brake Boot-Black Floor Mats-Black Suede Roofliner-Stoptech Stage 2 Brake Upgrade-BORLA Muffler-AP Section 1&2
BMWuberwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
Arustik1

My Ride: E46 M3
Laguna! Nice to see another E46 M3 coming to Boston area. I do real estate in the area and can help you find a rental. For $2500 you should be able to get something nice in Cambridge/Boston. Sending you a PM
Old 09-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
iceberq

My Ride: 02 LSB M3
Whalecum another LSB!

Kendall Square in Cambridge is amazing if you can afford it. I lived there in 2011 when rent was $2600 for a 2-bedroom in Archstone Kendall Square. Now it has risen to ~$3500 so I moved out. Here is Archstone Kendall Square: http://www.archstoneapartments.com/A...endall_Square/

I recommend checking out Brookline, Massachusetts as it's a pleasant area and within the general boston area. Thus, you can take a taxi back home without spending a million bucks.

Also, look into the following locations:

Back Bay
South End (along Massachusetts Avenue)

Last edited by iceberq; 09-03-2012 at 06:10 PM.
iceberq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
Robbski

My Ride: 2005 ZHP
Somerville, Davis Square. Central Square Cambridge. South Boston.
Robbski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Somerville is a great time and you are 20-30 min out of the city.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
sna77
OEM ///Member

You couldn't pay me to live in Somerville--although if you dig wearing ball-hugging skinny jeans, you make like it. If you want to actually experience Boston, you go Back Bay, Beacon Hill, South End, North End.

A garage spot will cost you circa $200. But be careful--you may be on bus routes (not the subway) going from Boston to Cambridge so may want to keep your car closer. What part of Cambridge will you be in?

BTW, you can fully expect whatever place you rent to be a dump at that price point. Boston is fully of overpriced crummy apartments because of all the students. My suggestion is not to worry about it too much--find somewhere you can walk t--spend time in your neighborhood, not your apartment...
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
You couldn't pay me to live in Somerville--although if you dig wearing ball-hugging skinny jeans, you make like it. If you want to actually experience Boston, you go Back Bay, Beacon Hill, South End, North End.

A garage spot will cost you circa $200. But be careful--you may be on bus routes (not the subway) going from Boston to Cambridge so may want to keep your car closer. What part of Cambridge will you be in?

BTW, you can fully expect whatever place you rent to be a dump at that price point. Boston is fully of overpriced crummy apartments because of all the students. My suggestion is not to worry about it too much--find somewhere you can walk t--spend time in your neighborhood, not your apartment...
Hilarious! I used to live in Somerville with my sister awhile back when I was in between apartments. Near Davis Square is nice, or further out, but there are some crummy parts.

What Sna77 meant to say was "If you want to spend every single penny in your wallet, be apartment broke and not even be able to afford a 40oz of Haffenreffer, you go Back Bay, Beacon Hill, South End, North End."
Old 09-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
azw131

My Ride: 325Xi
I don't know if you've looked at it, but Allston might be a good area for you. My brother used to have an apartment there that was right in your price range. Theres lots of bars and restaurants, not to mention the BMW dealership is right there on Comm Ave
azw131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #9
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
Hilarious! I used to live in Somerville with my sister awhile back when I was in between apartments. Near Davis Square is nice, or further out, but there are some crummy parts.

What Sna77 meant to say was "If you want to spend every single penny in your wallet, be apartment broke and not even be able to afford a 40oz of Haffenreffer, you go Back Bay, Beacon Hill, South End, North End."
My response to that of course, would be to get a better job. Plus then the women you meet aren't from Somerville (Trizzuth's sister excluded of course).
Old 09-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
JJR4884

Quote:

spoken like the true old fart that you are

nothing wrong with somerville, there are some decent spots that are half the price of back bay, especially right near davis.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Haha...Davis is actually not bad. The apartments around there are better than most of Somerville. It's tough to commute from the North End to Cambridge though. You couldn't pay me to live in the South End! Or Southie for that matter. Brookline isn't bad if you like boring chicks with cats. Late 20's is too old for Alston. Coming from DC, he might feel at home with all the d-bags in Beacon Hill.

OP- where exactly is your new office in Cambridge?
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #12
sna77
OEM ///Member

This convo is brilliant.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Newbury st!

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
adamdifilippo

My Ride: The M
I actually heard my M3 (on KW V2) cry this morning driving into government center. Don't know where you're working but good call not bringing yours into the city. Although there was zero parking spots at the t station this morning that's why I had to drive in. Then paid $35 for 2 hours parking. So get to the t stations early or if you're parking in the garage make sure there's always a spot for monthly pass holders!!

As far as nightlife. I haven't actually gone out here (been away for 5 years) but I heard Marina Bay in Quincy is really nice, although very classy and expensive. I also heard Club Guilt is good.

I love this city and I always said MA is awesome. But in reality it sucks balls. The state has too much control they limit freedom. Vehicle laws are stupid. Gun laws are painful! And everyone says mass state PD is such a respected and well trained and prepared organization, eh not so much after seeing them work. Hope you like it here!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
adamdifilippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #15
ShootyzGruve

My Ride: 2003 325i
Davis sq is a cool neighborhood. Plenty to do at night, easy red line trip to Harvard, Central and Porter.

Certain neighborhoods in Brighton are good for late 20 yo's. Oak Square is quieter than allston and has easy bus access to Cambridge (rt64), Kenmote sq (rt57), Copley (503) and financial (501). It's also close to the pike and soldiers field rd/storrow drive for easy commuting around and out of the city.
ShootyzGruve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #16
iceberq

My Ride: 02 LSB M3
1) I hear Marina Bay is trashy for nightlife.
2) Government center isn't too bad. I work right by there in the Financial District and have driven in occasionally.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #17
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberq View Post
1) I hear Marina Bay is trashy for nightlife.
2) Government center isn't too bad. I work right by there in the Financial District and have driven in occasionally.
Eeeks. Hard to have an intelligent conversation when someone lists Marina Bay nightlife as good. Eeeks. Waterworks (or whatever it is called now) is a breeding ground for trashy girls.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #18
Arustik1

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Eeeks. Hard to have an intelligent conversation when someone lists Marina Bay nightlife as good. Eeeks. Waterworks (or whatever it is called now) is a breeding ground for trashy girls.
Haven't been there for a year or 2, but have heard the exact same thing.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #19
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamdifilippo View Post
I heard Marina Bay in Quincy is really nice, although very classy and expensive.
I've never been but I can confirm this is not the case.

Let's just make sure Quincy is on the bottom of OP's list...
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #20
JJR4884

lol Marina Bay is a molly fest... so ya, not classy in the least bit lol