E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 11:32 PM   #21
Brinkley

My Ride: 99 328i, 07 z4 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCaptain View Post
That is very rare to have a mechanical fan in addition to the aux fan for a manual transmission 328i.
Tour aux fan is in front of your radiator?
Not really I have the same setup, so do many others, early production 323/8s have the clutch/aux combo until they switched to electric fan only for manuals. We basically have the same as autos.
Brinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #22
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Part of the problem is that you didn't replace the entire cooling system.

The following should be checked:

there's a blockage in your radiator

thermostat stuck closed or partially closed

there's air in the system

aux. fan switch is not functioning

pusher fan is not functioning

mechanical fan is not functioning

All this is remedied by replacing the entire cooling system and performing a proper bleed.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:08 AM   #23
REKLESS ROB

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Head gasket?
REKLESS ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #24
Elvin123

My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Part of the problem is that you didn't replace the entire cooling system.

The following should be checked:

there's a blockage in your radiator

thermostat stuck closed or partially closed

there's air in the system

aux. fan switch is not functioning

pusher fan is not functioning

mechanical fan is not functioning

All this is remedied by replacing the entire cooling system and performing a proper bleed.
The only thing haven't replaced is the radiator. I will be switching the clutch fan to the electric fan today, hopefully that will fix the problem
Old 08-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #25
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin123 View Post
The only thing haven't replaced is the radiator. I will be switching the clutch fan to the electric fan today, hopefully that will fix the problem
How many mile are on your car? I think word is that ther radiators should be replaced at 150k.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #26
Elvin123

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander271 View Post
How many mile are on your car? I think word is that ther radiators should be replaced at 150k.
I just recently passed 90k
Old 08-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #27
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon

I am going to go out ona limb and say that your aux fan may not be working correctly. You mention your ac is not as cold.

When you have a cooling system failure like the expansion tank, you need to find the reason for the overheating. If your aux fan is not coming on properly, then your temp can increase especially with the ac on.

Here is a way to check it:

Turn your car on, ac off. Ck aux fan, should not be running.

Next turn your ac on, Aux fan should come on.

Next disconnect temp sensor in lower radiator hose. Aux fan should speed up to full speed.

If it works correctly, then it may not be your fan. But you have replaced most everything else in the cooling system.

Bleed, burp, bleed the system.

Do you have any oil in your coolant? Check your oil too. This would indicate a bad head gasket. You say you are not loosing coolant, so it is unlikely a bad head gasket.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #28
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinkley View Post
Not really I have the same setup, so do many others, early production 323/8s have the clutch/aux combo until they switched to electric fan only for manuals. We basically have the same as autos.
I don't think it is as common on manual 3 series as you think. I have an early 323i manual and mine does not have the mechanical fan. I think you misinterpreted my statement. I said it was rare, I did not say it does not exist. Let say it was a few months where they had it. That makes it rare because a vast majority of them do not have the mechanical fan.

They also don't mention that setup in the bentley manual.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #29
Elvin123

Turns out that after I replaced almost every component of the cooling system and the car still overheated. The only part that I didn't replace- the radiator, doesn't seem to be circulating well because as the upper radiator hose heats up the bottom hose and the radiator are still cold. I bought a new Behr radiator and my car will be all good by tomorrow. Hopefully
Old 12-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #30
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
on one note, I programmed a 1998 528 manual and it had a mechanical fan on it. It tripped me out. Anyways, Ive done my coolant bleeding with the car off, position 2, temp on 90, speed lowest, all vent options open, and the dial in the middle of center vents on all the way red and never had an issue. I'm also using prestone 50/50, after doing research through numerous forums and came to the conclusion that while BMWs coolant may be somewhat better, this stuff works and has been working for over 10,000 miles. No issues here.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #31
Brinkley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCaptain View Post
I don't think it is as common on manual 3 series as you think. I have an early 323i manual and mine does not have the mechanical fan. I think you misinterpreted my statement. I said it was rare, I did not say it does not exist. Let say it was a few months where they had it. That makes it rare because a vast majority of them do not have the mechanical fan.

They also don't mention that setup in the bentley manual.
lol just saw this, you basically said what I said, if your car was produced before the switch, you got a clutch fan, after, an electric fan. Nothing rare or mysterious about it. Perhaps the bentley just assumes that if you have a bentley you can tell the difference between clutch/electric fans and just look at the auto for instruction.

Last edited by Brinkley; 12-14-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #32
BMWCaptain

Quote:
lol just saw this, you basically said what I said, if your car was produced before the switch, you got a clutch fan, after, an electric fan. Nothing rare or mysterious about it. Perhaps the bentley just assumes that if you have a bentley you can tell the difference between clutch/electric fans and just look at the auto for instruction.
maybe you should read what I said!

I am not saying what you said!

You don't understand that the manual transmissions come with only an electric fan. If you have a mechanical clutch fan as well, then that is not typical. I do not have a mecganical clutch.

Please clarify this for all of us, So tell us what date ranges have the mecanical fan in addition to the electric fan on a manual transmission car.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #33
STORMER

My Ride: AA SC 98 M3
I can confirm I had a mechanical clutch fan in my 99 323. Production date was 11/98

360+rwhp

AA Stage 2, Arp2000, Underdrive Pulley, M50 Manifold, Cat Delete, Supersprint Exhaust, M5 Clutch w/ Lightweight Flywheel, Euro Fan, FK Coilovers, AEM Boost Gauge, Zhp Knob, Stoptech Brakes, R1 Rotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
You sir, just thread jacked the sh!t out of OP.
STORMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #34
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by zander271 View Post
Think you got that backwards. Radators cost $150!
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #35
Brinkley

Look dude. Early model manuals came with clutch fans, k? I don't get why this is such a big deal.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #36
STORMER

My Ride: AA SC 98 M3
Quote:
Look dude. Early model manuals came with clutch fans, k? I don't get why this is such a big deal.
Again i can confirm my manual 323 came with one

360+rwhp

AA Stage 2, Arp2000, Underdrive Pulley, M50 Manifold, Cat Delete, Supersprint Exhaust, M5 Clutch w/ Lightweight Flywheel, Euro Fan, FK Coilovers, AEM Boost Gauge, Zhp Knob, Stoptech Brakes, R1 Rotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
You sir, just thread jacked the sh!t out of OP.
STORMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #37
Brinkley

Thanks, good looking m3 there!
Old 12-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #38
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
My 2000: build 10/99 has electric fan.

Maybe just on e46 builds of late 1997 and 98 had the clutch fan.

Sent from my SGH-I727 using Bimmer App

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine

Last edited by ///MPR77; 12-14-2012 at 01:21 PM.
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #39
Brinkley

Yea probably something like that. I drive a 7/98 328, so I guess to most people I'm a VERY freaking early model. Anyways, I used to think I was special or something or had got ripped off, but it's just I have an early car.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #40
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
Yea probably something like that. I drive a 7/98 328, so I guess to most people I'm a VERY freaking early model. Anyways, I used to think I was special or something or had got ripped off, but it's just I have an early car.
Was it originally purchased in Europe?

I know on RealOem it shows for 328i 9/97 as the earliest production month for US delivery.

Europe is: 4/97

Looks like it could it be a cooling package (Hot climate version) option, again just based on looking at realoem.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote