E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #61
Danoff

My Ride: '04 330i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayGetaway View Post
Manual is more fun than auto
Highly debatable. My previous car was a 6-speed manual and I wanted the auto because the manual was often less fun. I know everyone loves operating their transmission, but some of us find heel toeing (which I did) to be an indication of an obnoxious and inefficient control system.

I have two feet, if you design the car so that I need to hit three pedals with two feet, you failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaseb View Post
Yeah that's one reason why I don't manually shift because of the half a second delay in shifting gears.
I don't know how long shifting takes in an E46 manual, but I know how long it took me in my type-s RSX, and it's not exactly super fast if you're shifting smoothly. If you're matching revs and not power-shifting, it takes a little while. The difference is that you don't notice because you're busy doing something.
Danoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #62
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #63
lakedude90

My Ride: 03' 325i
steptronic owner here. 03 325i Like alot of people I wanted a manual but didnt have the time to look around, But I enjoy it for what its worth. I actually didnt plan getting a BMW until about a week before I got it. picked it up on a wednsday and took it on a 3 hour road trip the next day to be in a wedding so I pretty much hit the ground running with it.

This was the day after I got it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	C360952011-08-209512-37-08.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	467842

this was a few weeks ago. Nothing much has changed. I have put in an aux port, front license plate relocation with the trim piece delete, 2500k yellow fog bulbs and I put LEDs for my rear plate lights. Still a long list on what I want to do. just wish I had a money tree in my back yard

Click image for larger version

Name:	bimmer.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	467843
lakedude90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #64
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danoff View Post
Highly debatable. My previous car was a 6-speed manual and I wanted the auto because the manual was often less fun. I know everyone loves operating their transmission, but some of us find heel toeing (which I did) to be an indication of an obnoxious and inefficient control system.

I have two feet, if you design the car so that I need to hit three pedals with two feet, you failed.

I don't know how long shifting takes in an E46 manual, but I know how long it took me in my type-s RSX, and it's not exactly super fast if you're shifting smoothly. If you're matching revs and not power-shifting, it takes a little while. The difference is that you don't notice because you're busy doing something.

I'm sorry if you suck at shifting.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #65
Danoff

Quote:

I'm sorry if you suck at shifting.
I'd lay odds I'm better at it than you are, but I could be wrong. I don't know you, but those are the odds.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #66
Afternoongamer

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionX View Post
How much quicker does it feel over stock with this stuff?
Kinda hard to say as I never did all at once but I can say for sure feels a lot more quick with gear changes and throttle response is much much better. Plus can hear the k&n screaming a lot more . As for my engine bay yes I know bit to much but got it from a local guy for cheep and just put it on here for now. I don't think it's the bomb or anything like that lol.
Afternoongamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #67
330Lover_

My Ride: 2001 330i bk/bk step
I have 135k miles on the clock. I don't have much mods, just like to keep it in good shape. The Step is powerfull/good enough for me and I am very happy about it.

Current mods:
Eibach springs
ASA AR1 18x8 all around, 20mm spacer at rear
Dustless brake pads
Smoke corners

Future mods:
M3 Steering wheel

01' 330i, step, bk/bk, moon, xenon, cd, 18x8 ASA AR1, 225/40/18 all around, Koni Yellow shock, Eibach Pro-spring, Axxis brake pads, 20mm rear spacers
330Lover_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #68
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Another steptronic owner here.
I am happy with my choice of getting a steptronic(auto) for a DD. When I need passing power I just downshift in manual mode.

If it was a weekend or a track car, I would take a manual over automatic, just because you need that control on the track. But for a daily driver to be driving in a bumper to bumper traffic, I will take a steptronic over manual anyday.

May be I will put the sprint booster v2 in sometime to get rid of the lag in D mode in future. Yah, I am going to rig the center console with the M's sport button for the sprint booster setting.

If I were to buy a new M, it'd be a double clutch system. Not that I am lazy, but I like the precision of the shift and not having to shift myself when my other hand is busy doing some better things.

Dont get me wrong, I know how to drive a manual, in fact I learnt how to drive in a 4 speed manual toyota tercel and all my life I have driven motorcycles. So, I know the advantages and disadvantages of manual transmission.

With the advancement in the technology the automatics/steptronics have gone really far ahead of manuals. Imagine shifting 7-8 gears in a manual which they have now in the automatics in your everyday driving. The computer knows better than our brain to keep the engine in the optimum revs.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #69
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Don't want to turn this into a sprint booster discussion, but I love mine. It really helps eliminate that throttle lag. Check out the mod I have for mine to integrate it into the panel button on our car.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...sprint+booster

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #70
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
So you just said that you wanted a manual but got the auto because it was cheaper, yet you think people who prefer manual are stupid? Manual is more fun than auto, it has little to do with speed. Auto's are fine if all you want is a sit in and relax car, as a sports car, I don't get it. As for mileage, who cares? I would happily buy another BMW with 250k or more miles on it... these cars run forever.

I'm really not trying to argue manual over auto, just saying that your argument doesn't make any sense...
you say manual is more fun that is not always the case.
it heavily depends on which manual you talking about. Ive driven two M3's and absolutely hated the manual gearbox. its gritty and sticky as hell. very vague and heavy. felt like the transmission is lubricated with sand. I've never driven a manual that requires so much force to shift every time my hand comes off when I go into 2nd gear.
my RX8 on the other hand is absolutely peach to shift. that well oiled sucking in feel. perfectly weighted and clear.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #71
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
Don't want to turn this into a sprint booster discussion, but I love mine. It really helps eliminate that throttle lag. Check out the mod I have for mine to integrate it into the panel button on our car.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...sprint+booster
Yah, this is what I want to do. But if I get a old version of sprint booster for cheap, I will just do a single stage switch. Just on/off with a sport button.
Time to post a WTB for the panel from M3 and sprint booster.

Sorry, didnt mean to take the thread off track, but had to thank john for this mod.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #72
Lusticles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedude90 View Post
steptronic owner here. 03 325i Like alot of people I wanted a manual but didnt have the time to look around, But I enjoy it for what its worth. I actually didnt plan getting a BMW until about a week before I got it. picked it up on a wednsday and took it on a 3 hour road trip the next day to be in a wedding so I pretty much hit the ground running with it.

This was the day after I got it.
Attachment 467842

this was a few weeks ago. Nothing much has changed. I have put in an aux port, front license plate relocation with the trim piece delete, 2500k yellow fog bulbs and I put LEDs for my rear plate lights. Still a long list on what I want to do. just wish I had a money tree in my back yard

Attachment 467843
Why did you relocate the license plate? Do you take it off often?
Old 09-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #73
330xIce

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Send a message via AIM to 330xIce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusticles View Post
Why did you relocate the license plate? Do you take it off often?
I have the same thing. I like to ride with it off sometimes and whenever I take pictures of my car it's easy to just unbolt it really quick. I think it looks a little sportier too.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Bimmer App

Follow Me On Instagram: JamesMarshall_E46

///My Progress Thread - How To Set a Signature - Black Sedans FTMFW
-James-
330xIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #74
tuscan1205

My Ride: 325CI
112,000 miles

transmission rebuild at 66,000 miles

too many mods to list, and too much money wasted.

next mods:
1. maintenance
2. new car

edit. pictures of the car as it sits right now:

'02 Orient Blue 325Ci

Last edited by tuscan1205; 09-06-2012 at 05:15 PM.
tuscan1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #75
CSL323

My Ride: '05 330Cic
Send a message via Skype™ to CSL323
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscan1205 View Post
112,000 miles

transmission rebuild at 66,000 miles

too many mods to list, and too much money wasted.

next mods:
1. maintenance
2. new car

edit. pictures of the car as it sits right now:
That's a pretty damn cool 325ci, sir!

-----

Come on, Kiddies. Stop fighting over transmission type who gives a ****?

I wouldn't have minded a manual tranny myself but I bought my car cause it had everything else I wanted. Eg. the interior

2005 BMW 330Cic Individual
CSL323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #76
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbimmer View Post
you say manual is more fun that is not always the case.
it heavily depends on which manual you talking about. Ive driven two M3's and absolutely hated the manual gearbox. its gritty and sticky as hell. very vague and heavy. felt like the transmission is lubricated with sand. I've never driven a manual that requires so much force to shift every time my hand comes off when I go into 2nd gear.
my RX8 on the other hand is absolutely peach to shift. that well oiled sucking in feel. perfectly weighted and clear.
planned on staying clear of this thread but really

are you talking about the transmission or your mangina at the beach?

bmw didn't make a version of the M3 for little girls. (closest would be the SMG) j/k

M3 shifts like just about every other bmw i've owned.

now sorry for distraction, please go on enjoying your Automatic Owners thread

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 09-06-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #77
Danoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
are you talking about the transmission or your mangina at the beach?
What's feminine about not wanting to wrap your hands around a thick shift and move it back and forth?
Old 09-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #78
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Yah, this is what I want to do. But if I get a old version of sprint booster for cheap, I will just do a single stage switch. Just on/off with a sport button.
Time to post a WTB for the panel from M3 and sprint booster.

Sorry, didnt mean to take the thread off track, but had to thank john for this mod.
Thanks for the props. Fortunately I had William for the brains to get it done.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #79
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i

It took me a long time to get used to the shift in the E46 manuals, they were horrible. Rubbery, inaccurate, lacking in feel, notchy and with a sharp juddery clutch. On a car with 80,000km! I dealt with it because I love BMW's but my old Mazda was much nicer to row through the gears.... Luckily my E34 535i has a lovely shift on it, despite slightly worn synchro's and 270,000km.
But seriously, the guy has a point, don't start attacking his man hood. This is an autotragic love thread so keep your archaic driver-shifter effort-bound 'manual' transmission love away from here.

As to my Steptronic, I bought it because they never sold manual 330i's over here. I refused to buy a couple because they're kinda gay and also expensive, so I got stuck with a FANTASTIC automatic gearbox. Best I've ever driven and after seeing how strong they can be even on the track, I'm going to shell out $500 to have it serviced instead of swapping to manual. Already got one of those.

Positives:-
- I've taken it on the track and never even found a need to use manual gears, the sports mode is perfect!
- The normal drive mode is also beautifully economical, keeps it in nice and high gears when I accelerate gently!
- I LOVE the engine braking function, I use my brakes half as much down hills, I just gently touch them and it'll downshift and hold speed! GREAT feature. Took a while to get used to helping it change back up when I hit the bottom of the hill (it used to get stuck in the lower gear for a bit) but I'm good with it now.

Complaints though (here's to being hypocritical!):-
- Takes off in second gear, sometimes leaves me stranded as it realises it needs to shift down into first, whilst I've already got heavy throttle on. Jerky, annoying and dangerous. Cure is to put it into sports mode, but still annoying.
- The normal drive mode needs to learn to down shift as you slow down earlier, it constantly realises it needs a lower gear too late and down-shifts at silly times. Cure is sports mode.
- When in sports mode, despite no throttle load, it will hold lower gears indefinitely for no particular reason. I mean, five or six seconds for track or sports work makes sense but the way it is is kind of annoying...
- The adaptive shift resets nearly every time you turn the car on, how are you supposed to learn, it's like trying to teach a goldfish how to sit!?

Apparently the sprint booster is a fantastic upgrade for the worst feature of the entire car. That STUPID throttle. But why does it have to cost $300!? SO much money for SO little!?

Last edited by trive2; 09-06-2012 at 06:33 PM.
trive2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #80
PrecisionX

My Ride: 2002 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by trive2 View Post

It took me a long time to get used to the shift in the E46 manuals, they were horrible. Rubbery, inaccurate, lacking in feel, notchy and with a sharp juddery clutch. On a car with 80,000km! I dealt with it because I love BMW's but my old Mazda was much nicer to row through the gears.... Luckily my E34 535i has a lovely shift on it, despite slightly worn synchro's and 270,000km.
But seriously, the guy has a point, don't start attacking his man hood. This is an autotragic love thread so keep your archaic driver-shifter effort-bound 'manual' transmission love away from here.

As to my Steptronic, I bought it because they never sold manual 330i's over here. I refused to buy a couple because they're kinda gay and also expensive, so I got stuck with a FANTASTIC automatic gearbox. Best I've ever driven and after seeing how strong they can be even on the track, I'm going to shell out $500 to have it serviced instead of swapping to manual. Already got one of those.

Positives:-
- I've taken it on the track and never even found a need to use manual gears, the sports mode is perfect!
- The normal drive mode is also beautifully economical, keeps it in nice and high gears when I accelerate gently!
- I LOVE the engine braking function, I use my brakes half as much down hills, I just gently touch them and it'll downshift and hold speed! GREAT feature. Took a while to get used to helping it change back up when I hit the bottom of the hill (it used to get stuck in the lower gear for a bit) but I'm good with it now.

Complaints though (here's to being hypocritical!):-
- Takes off in second gear, sometimes leaves me stranded as it realises it needs to shift down into first, whilst I've already got heavy throttle on. Jerky, annoying and dangerous. Cure is to put it into sports mode, but still annoying.
- The normal drive mode needs to learn to down shift as you slow down earlier, it constantly realises it needs a lower gear too late and down-shifts at silly times. Cure is sports mode.
- When in sports mode, despite no throttle load, it will hold lower gears indefinitely for no particular reason. I mean, five or six seconds for track or sports work makes sense but the way it is is kind of annoying...
- The adaptive shift resets nearly every time you turn the car on, how are you supposed to learn, it's like trying to teach a goldfish how to sit!?

Apparently the sprint booster is a fantastic upgrade for the worst feature of the entire car. That STUPID throttle. But why does it have to cost $300!? SO much money for SO little!?
I've been using S mode for the first time a couple days in a row now, light years better than any other auto I've driven. I like it more than M mode

Tags
autotragic, slushboxes