E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
raheeli

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
Air shutoff valve

Why there is a air shutoff valve in the air line going to Jet Pump. Whats the need of that. See attached picture?? anyone knows?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	26565234e.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	467959   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	467960  
raheeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I know it's there for a reason...you're not wondering what would happen if you removed it or something, are you.

You know the sucking jet pump is involved in moving fuel from one lobe of tank to the other....and that valve on our cars does something I'm sure we need...but I'd be guessing if I said I knew exactly what it is. Since it's mechanical and not electric, I'd imagine that when sucking jet pump comes on that the vac aids in moving fuel around in our tank...then closes when it's not needed anymore.

Maybe someone actually knows!

Why are you asking, if you don't mind me asking?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
raheeli

Sucking Jet pump is for the brakes. It uses are from this line to create vacuum. So why the shutoff valve? I am thinking about taking it off. because my connector is broken anyways.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
deadwood83

My Ride: has an iron lung
Send a message via MSN to deadwood83
Quote:
Originally Posted by raheeli View Post
Sucking Jet pump is for the brakes. It uses are from this line to create vacuum. So why the shutoff valve? I am thinking about taking it off. because my connector is broken anyways.
Probably to prevent excess vacuum, preserve vacuum, prevent backfeed, or some other function that will prevent damage. These cars are pretty well thought out. Just look at how much people bash the CCV; then when it comes time to preserve its function but use different parts nobody can figure out a solution that works as well and maintains proper crank vacuum.

If it's broken, fix it. Don't remove it. Also brakes are a pretty important so I would be incredibly hesitant to mess with them.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Shows you what I know! Could've sworn it was involved in fuel too...evidently it is only involved in the brake...sorry about that!

Anyway, a googling turned this up

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=578766

...and again, I think because it's there...and because it's involved in making your brakes work...I'd think seriously about driving without it. I'm not sure this is something you want to experiment with based on advice from the Internet...and I'm pretty sure a mechanic would tell you to fix it, not toss it.

Now I've got to figure out what I was thinking is involved in fuel transfer from one lobe to the other. The fuel pump doesn't both pump and suck, I don't think. I thought the sending unit on the left side was only a meter, but I guess it has a small pump in it...but thought that the transfer was vacuum controlled. I know I read something about this here...

Anyway /threadjack!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
raheeli

some models dont have that valve.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:14 AM   #7
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Shows you what I know! Could've sworn it was involved in fuel too...evidently it is only involved in the brake...sorry about that!

Anyway, a googling turned this up

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=578766

...and again, I think because it's there...and because it's involved in making your brakes work...I'd think seriously about driving without it. I'm not sure this is something you want to experiment with based on advice from the Internet...and I'm pretty sure a mechanic would tell you to fix it, not toss it.

Now I've got to figure out what I was thinking is involved in fuel transfer from one lobe to the other. The fuel pump doesn't both pump and suck, I don't think. I thought the sending unit on the left side was only a meter, but I guess it has a small pump in it...but thought that the transfer was vacuum controlled. I know I read something about this here...

Anyway /threadjack!
You were right, there is a jet pump in the fuel tank system as well. That is the first thing I thought of as well.
But the pics did not match up with the name.
I think we are dealing with some different naming conventions here, and something that all cars do not have. I know I do not have anything like that, at least not that I have ever seen.
@OP - DMax's advice was still sound. There are not many parts put on here for no reason. Replace it or repair it, but don't remove it.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote