E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 06:21 AM   #1
mrp1p

My Ride: e46 318ci + 318i
Question 2001 318ci Oil Pressure Relief Valve stuck!

Hey guys, took my oil sump off last night to inspect my oil pressure relief valve, and upon removing the circlip and sleeve, the spring is exposed but wont drop from the timing case. The spring can be seen protruding from the bottom but no matter how hard I pull and turn it, it wont move an inch.

Im assuming the piston has melted due to an overheat some 6 months ago, and fixed itself to the spring.

Am i right in assuming the whole thing should drop out if everything is intact?

Any one else been in this situation before? Any help would be greatly appreciated as always

Phil.
mrp1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
mrp1p

Dont know if it will help, but the reason I took the sump off in the first place is because I've been seeing low oil pressure and hearing a slight tick upon engine load. Also on cold starts it takes significantly longer to regain pressure, sometimes up to 10 seconds. I believed this to be due to a blockage/seizure in the oil pressure relief valve.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:48 AM   #3
mrp1p

Update: The spring is out, managed to effectively unscrew it, using pliers. Now for the piston, it appears to be quite deformed... Rummaging around now for a tapping/threading set to see if i can tap a thread in for a bolt and pull it out. Any suggestions welcome.

Phil.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
mrp1p

Spent three hours chipping away at it with chisels and screwdrivers, then blew out all the tiny broken pieces from the oil passages with an air compressor.

For future reference if you've overheated your engine, and then have problems with your oil pressure, this valve could easily have melted and seized, and good luck getting it out.

Phil.

Last edited by mrp1p; 08-13-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
This is very interesting. Relief valves have been known to stick with debris but overheating is a new one.. Pics..? Curious to see the layout. What parts are you replacing to regain the oil relief functionality?

E92 convert. BMW Fanatic.
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
mrp1p

I can't be a 100% sure that it was the overheat that caused the valve to stick as I never got a chance to see the whole thing in one piece. It broke into a hundred pieces as it came out, and I can only imagine the extremely hot oil caused the piston to swell and stick in the oil passages, and also caused the plastic to become quite brittle.

I didn't bother taking any pictures of the old parts, because by the time the last pieces was blown out of the oil passages by the air compressor, there were fragments all over the place. I did however take a photo of the new valve. As far as I could tell it was only the piston that was broken, but I replaced the three parts pictured for piece of mind, along with the circlip that holds them in place.

Phil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m43 oil pressure releif valve.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	464388  
Old 08-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
Interesting, thanks for reporting back..

E92 convert. BMW Fanatic.
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
sooper

My Ride: '99 323i
Hi! I think I have the similar problem. My oil pressure light (red) turns on during idle. This happens when the engine is already heated up or about 20 minutes of driving. The light goes away when I rev to about 800 RPM. Pressure sensor was changed but still with symptoms described. I assume that this part is the culprit. Do you have the part number of this part? Thanks!
sooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
mrp1p

I dont have the part numbers on me, but they can be found relatively easily through realoem.com, i'll post them later incase you cant find it

I warn you though its not an easy job to change it, however if you have the same engine as me then our idle speed is supposed to be 800rmp. If the engine drops below this speed then its normal for the oil pressure light to illuminate, because the engine isnt turning the oil pump fast enough to generate pressure.

Theres a lot of information on here about low idle speeds, I reccomend you have a read through them if you havent done already.

Hope this helps, Phil.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #10
mrp1p

Parts 5,6,7 and 8

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=11&fg=30&hl=3

Tags
oil pressure