E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #21
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post
Well, I get what you saying but I respectfully disagree. The tune is designed to read proper air temp through the manifold. If your driving down the road and flushing the engine bay with cold air, its values are very close to ambient air temp. If your sitting at a stop light heat soaking the sensor its values travel artificially high.

During Dinan's dyno testing of an M5 this difference meant a loss of close to 50 horsepower between running the car on a dyno with a closed hood and the factory IAT location. That can't possibly mean the ECU was somehow taking into account the fact that the car was stopped and heat soaking and artificially giving the IAT a higher temp. It means the ECU was getting a bad value to the tune of 50 lost ponies. Even with the hood opened, relocation of the IAT resulted in a gain of 10 horse.

Again, the idea is to provide an accurate reading of the air going into the engine at all times. The location where I have my sensor gives almost the same reading as measured in the factory location at 60MPH because of the air keeping everything from heat soaking. This is what the tune is designed for. Running the engine at speed. The air when your stopped is the same temp, the sensor is just getting thrown off because its heat soaked via conduction.

The M54 location is much better in the MAF but it's still not ideal and does provide artifically high numbers after heat soak even in this spot.

I agree with this post. Since you mentioned an M5. The e39 m5 runs the EXACT same long tube intake as these cars. Big kudos to the guy at Dinan, that engineer made his company lots of money! Only difference is the M5 uses two of these tubes. (kinda OT) I might try this. My question is, while on the dyno, how are you going to keep the fans from messing with the IAT? If you have it located down near the radiator? What would be the proper procedure to dyno with this set up? Just thinking about all this makes me think street tunes (illegal, careful) are much better than dyno tunes. If my buddy doesn't get me on the dyno, I'm gonna tune this thing on the street!
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:16 AM   #22
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i (M54b30)
The fans don't mess it up, they actually attempt to simulate some of the air that flows into the front of the car at speed, though I'd practically need a wind tunnel fan for it to be enough. My IAT is located in the opening in the bumper to the factory brake ducts. This keeps it away from any artificial heat, including the heat from the rad.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 07-24-2012 at 10:06 AM.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #23
bryce-o

My Ride: 330Ci ZHP 3 pedal
one update- do NOT get an oiled filter replacement for the stock airbox. oil is bad for MAF's, and my car ran poorly with that filter in place. i'm back to a completely stock intake. may consider a BMW performance box, but my testing shows the stock airbox is pretty well designed as-is.
bryce-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #24
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
I have an ECIS intake system with a universal K&N oiled filter (long, narrow filter). I upgraded the foam around the top of the heat shield with some thicker stuff to better seal off the box. In 95F ambient temperature in downtown Birmingham (major heat index with the newer asphalt, reflective buildings, etc.), I was reading a whopping 140F while sitting at a red light, surrounded by cars. At roughly 55% throttle (approximation), it dropped to 110F. Soon enough, it dropped down to 97F.

I have an opening from the engine bay to open air below the car. I was thinking of making a custom-fit duct system to drop down to my bumper to get even cooler airflow while traveling. My only hesitation would be water channeling up and into the intake bay. Of course, I could be absolutely paranoid about that, but I dunno.

My car is a beast for a 330i with what minimal mods it has. I don't rightly think a ram air duct would do a whole lot for it, but sometimes I get that, "I NEED MORE POWER!" mindset and get all these crazy ideas. For example: I would love to toss a set of Forgestars on it (my calculations estimate that would be the equivalent of freeing up 25 HP), toss on a set of Schrick cams, and do a single 3" exhaust all the way back (and still retain my AC Schnitzer muffler somehow). Rebuilding the engine would be a plus (new pistons, piston rings, valve stem seals, etc.). I've also thought about a VAC Stage 2 cylinder head, but I just tell myself to get real and focus on keeping my car's maintenance up to date.

And I'm done rambling.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:08 PM   #25
bernie21614

My Ride: 01 330i
I was doing a top engine cleaning on my car yesterday and my car was idling for about an hour, I noticed my iat after the long idling was at 170 degrees while ambient temps were around 100 degrees. I have a afe intake with the oiled air filter(blue one), I will be doing some test on my temps while driving in city and highway cruising and post my temps. I'm hoping I get some good results

Sent from my Dell Streak using Bimmer App
bernie21614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #26
bernie21614

ok here are some reading I was getting with the AFE intake with blue oiled filter.
I obtained the readings with the ethos scan tool.

Ambient temp (per vehicle OBC) -85F

IAT after 5 minutes of idle- 124F

IAT cruising @ 60mph- 93F

IAT cruising @ 30mph- 108F

Air Flow Rate While Cruising- 36-40hg

Air Flow Rate @ WOT- 287hg
Old 09-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #27
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i (M54b30)
What was your IAT at WOT

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 09-07-2012 at 04:38 PM.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #28
bernie21614

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post
What was your IAT temp at WOT
I forgot to get the IAT at wot, i'll redo the test some other time and post my results again. I really want to know what some of the other intakes air flow rate is.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #29
bryce-o

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie21614 View Post
I was doing a top engine cleaning on my car yesterday and my car was idling for about an hour, I noticed my iat after the long idling was at 170 degrees while ambient temps were around 100 degrees. I have a afe intake with the oiled air filter(blue one), I will be doing some test on my temps while driving in city and highway cruising and post my temps. I'm hoping I get some good results

Sent from my Dell Streak using Bimmer App
Quote:
ok here are some reading I was getting with the AFE intake with blue oiled filter.
I obtained the readings with the ethos scan tool.

Ambient temp (per vehicle OBC) -85F

IAT after 5 minutes of idle- 124F

IAT cruising @ 60mph- 93F

IAT cruising @ 30mph- 108F

Air Flow Rate While Cruising- 36-40hg

Air Flow Rate @ WOT- 287hg
Quote:
I forgot to get the IAT at wot, i'll redo the test some other time and post my results again. I really want to know what some of the other intakes air flow rate is.
as mentioned previously in this thread, the IAT sensor is well upstream of the filter media and inlet to the airbox. if you idle for more than a few minutes, your IAT readings are going to be elevated. even the stock airbox gets 40+ degrees F when i've idled at a stop light or in traffic for more than 3 or 4 minutes.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #30
bryce-o

also, how are you logging the airflow rate?
Old 09-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #31
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iCA
bmw logger is able to.

IAT at topspeed (135mph) is +/- 2K around ambient temp for me. pretty well engineered, i guess
daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #32
smooth1

My Ride: BMW FTW
Ya, if there's a few of you that want to take some serious logs for testing where you can share them with each other and the public, playback, and graph results I'd be more than happy to put together a bundle with reduced license prices for those interested.
smooth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #33
bryce-o

ya, i'm interested......i don't have your software yet. i'm on the stock airbox still. i'm almost convinced i'm not leaving THAT much power on the table. stock airbox recovers ridiculously quick from prolonged idle, WOT bursts, etc. the IAT's stabilize around 5-7 degrees above ambient, once i'm doing 40+ mph
Old 09-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #34
smooth1

My Ride: BMW FTW
Alright, we'll see who else wants to get in. I definitely think the stock airbox does well, and most agree from the discussion, but I'd like to see multiple logs with different intakes. If it was on the same vehicle in the same day that would be amazing, but I realize that's not likely going to happen.
smooth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #35
bryce-o

yea, i can assist with some of that (swap in an intake and re-log). i just need someone to donate their AFE or similar intake, for testing purposes

i would return it once i had a chance to reset adaptations, log, etc.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #36
alex230ro

My Ride: BMW 325ti compact
Hi guys,i will try to make some tests with BMW Performance intake this month.
alex230ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #37
bernie21614

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce-o View Post
also, how are you logging the airflow rate?
On the ethos scanner with euro software, it shows up as part of my data. Its a really awesome scanner its very specifc for our cars it can comunicate with every computer on our vechicles.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:02 AM   #38
Beamer Creamer

My Ride: 2005 bmw m3
Just wrap the sensor in insulation 2 inches from manifold and ducttape it on.lol. Why not just use a water to air cooler in foglight duct?
Beamer Creamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #39
bryce-o

love that cooler air!!!!

my IAT's are really close to ambient lately, after sustained highway driving.

airflow rate is another story, but i don't think you're losing much (if any) power on the stock airbox, compared to some intakes (BMW performance, for one). i also think the true long-tube CAI like Dinan's carbon fibre one is a decent choice. ultimately, for me, i'm keeping my intake stock. i have catless headers and a custom flash tune; no need to milk an extra few HP in exchange for a louder induction noise or a CAI that could potentially injest some water. had a CAI on some previous cars.....had some hydrolock scares because of stupid houston roads and how much it rains here. /csb
Old 10-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #40
DarkJoker

My Ride: 01 330ci
i monitored my bmw performance intake during my dyno and after on street driving
during dyno time with fans right on it i was measuring at 111 degrees F
while on road i varied anywhere from 96-124 degrees F if my memory recalls correctly
i may have the data sheets somewhere for the road testing

i want to try and make my own intake solution next year

i was fiddling with dei heat wrap paper on my intake to see if i could cool it down from engine bay heat
there was not a real big difference on the readings

Last edited by DarkJoker; 10-21-2012 at 05:41 PM.
DarkJoker is offline   Reply With Quote