E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
Mctwist77

My Ride: '99' BMW 323i
Oil Separator and Oil Filter Housing Gasket at the same time. Question!

Hey everyone so I need to do both of these items on car and I was wondering for those who have completed the Oil Separator, would it be beneficial for me to start by doing the oil filter housing gasket first and leaving everything unassembled on that job to allow more space when doing the Oil Separator? Or would it not really make a difference either way?
Ive just heard that the OS is difficult to get at and I figured that would help. Any input would be awesome, thanks.
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
GDA

My Ride: M5, 325i and 330i
Yes. Do the oil filter housing first as it will give you a ton more room from below and the side to help route the piping and all below the intake.
GDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
IamMiike

My Ride: 01 330ci
Yea, wish I did mine while replacing the OFHG instead of waiting a few months.. Job was a huge pain but with much more room it really shouldn't be too bad.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Mctwist77

Awesome, thanks guys. I'll let update how it turns out
Old 09-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
make sure you remove the alternator. makes things a LOT easier. while its out, replace the voltage regulator and clean out leaves/debris from the ducting

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
Vandyinc

My Ride: 2000 323 Cic
That is how I did mine. A lot more room with the Alt & OFH out of the way.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
make sure you remove the alternator. makes things a LOT easier. while its out, replace the voltage regulator and clean out leaves/debris from the ducting
Always disconnect the battery before you work on the alternator!

Just the negative (ground) cable will do the trick.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
ixtoxi

My Ride: 02 330xi, 88 325iX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Always disconnect the battery before you work on the alternator!

Just the negative (ground) cable will do the trick.
Excellent point! I did my OFHG a couple of weeks ago and got a nice spark when first attempting to disconnect the alternator cable. Fortunately, I didn't fry anything.
ixtoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Can you reroute the oil separator out into a easy to access area so you can change it every winter.
It seems that part is a piece of sh1t.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtoxi View Post
Excellent point! I did my OFHG a couple of weeks ago and got a nice spark when first attempting to disconnect the alternator cable. Fortunately, I didn't fry anything.
Lucky man. There is the potential there of 700 metal melting amps to burn your hands or throw sparks at your eyes.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #11
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Can you reroute the oil separator out into a easy to access area so you can change it every winter.
It seems that part is a piece of sh1t.
Don't you want a green planet?
Old 09-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #12
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
There are some oil separators out there that have insulation on them that helps the slug from building up and the cost is about the same as ones without like came on the car. If you need to do the oil filter housing gasket, start there first, leaving it apart, you will gain extra room and better viewing to do the oil separator and its 4 hoses (you are replacing all 4 of the hoses? Since they are plastic, they usually break when trying to take off and it is easier to get them out if you break them). Make sure when you do this job that you also disconnect the battery ground and insulate it. I have found that you don't need to completely remove the throttle body, just take the bolts out and move it to the side (unless you are planning on cleaning it really good.
A good rule to follow, when ever you are going any repairs on the car that involve electronic/electrical connections, disconnect the battery ground. ixtoxi was lucky that he didn't take out anything when disconnecting the alternator cable with the battery still connected!
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #13
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
OP if you get cold weather ccv (which I did...and then removed the foam from anyway)...be sure to open it up to find the plugged valve. There's a vac hose you'll have...later models don't.

Anyway...+1...the more room you have the easier all work is!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #14
Mctwist77

Dmax, do I need to unplug the valve you're talking about? Oh and nice car btw, looks familiar. Do you have black interior too?

Sent from my DROID2 using Bimmer App
Old 09-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #15
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
You will find a small vac hose plugged into your ccv which presumably is not insulated and thus will be visible right in the front of yours.

Don't forget to plug the hose into your new ccv. You could replace the hose. I didn't...so far, so good...but wish I'd done it.

Anyway, the port is hiding beneath the foam covering on the insulated ccv...just remove the o-rings holding insulation on...remove plug on port...and plug the vac hose in.

No, my interior is as ugly as my green...beige. Though, with my Fern Green tires, things are pulled together pretty tightly!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #16
Mctwist77

Alright will do, thanks.

You're not a fan of seafoam green!? People always seem to complement the color. And its so rare!
Old 09-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #17
Mctwist77

Update! Did these two items at the same time and the oil separator was a piece of cake. Highly recommend doing these two at the same time. I'm still putting together my Oil filter housing but so far I'm only at 4 and a half hours labor.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #18
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctwist77 View Post
Update! Did these two items at the same time and the oil separator was a piece of cake. Highly recommend doing these two at the same time. I'm still putting together my Oil filter housing but so far I'm only at 4 and a half hours labor.
Great, if you could put some details; like things to look for or any tips that would be great. I went through the DIYs and confused the **** out of me. May be I just have to try it out and things will turn out easier.

I have to do both too and and not looking forward to it.
More over I have an auto and the I have to go through the fan clutch

Waiting for a floor jack to come, the old one bursted on me so I have to wait till it arrives. Dont want to drop anything under the car and be left stranded. Also having the car raised will be not as bad for my back.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #19
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
I went through the DIYs and confused the **** out of me. May be I just have to try it out and things will turn out easier.

I have to do both too and and not looking forward to it.

Also having the car raised will be not as bad for my back.
Did you watch the three DIY's on yourtube from bavauto?

You'll see a big difference on your back with the car raised.

Not as tough as some make out. CVV takes patience. Don't rush the job.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #20
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Did you watch the three DIY's on yourtube from bavauto?

You'll see a big difference on your back with the car raised.

Not as tough as some make out. CVV takes patience. Don't rush the job.
Yah, I have watched those videos and it brings up the confidence.
I am worried about breaking something else while trying to fix something. I have done it many times

I am going to replace the VCG, lower intake boot, water pump pulley and the belts too.
I have never done this kind of job before, so I am a bit nervous about removing everything.
However, I have done the VCG so many times that I can do it with my eyes closed now.

I know I am going to have hell of a tough time, the clamps on the lower intake boots are upside down and the fan clutch nut is really stub born on mine.

Will post an update when I do these things.