E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
thefrog1394

My Ride: e46- 1999 323i
$25 Ignition Coil on Amazon, any experiences?

http://www.amazon.com/Ignition-12137...n+coil+bmw+e46

Does anyone have any experience with these? I have had to replace 3 of my ignition coils within the past couple years and decided I would rather go ahead and replace the final 3 so that I don't have to worry about them failing at an inopportune time. The ones I put in my car are "duralast" brand from autozone and look similar to that (I think its an unbranded Bremi?) But since I am doing this as preventative maintenance I don't want to just put in crap that may fail in a year. Anyone have any experiences with these?

If no one has tried these, I may be the guinea pig. For 3 coils for the price of one I may give it a shot and save the old but still working ones and keep them in the car in case I need to swap back in an emergency.

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio
1999 323i - 210,000 miles and counting.
Rear Wheel Bearing Tool (SitTools B90) Rental, ~$60
thefrog1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
No, don't buy that and there is NO need to until another coil fails and that's IF it does. Don't waste money for no reason on something that doesn't need it.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
No experience with these or any other coils from Amazon, however, I have purchased a lot of parts for my BMW's and American cars from Amazon and everything has been good.

Suspension parts, spark plugs, O2 sensors, brake rotors and pads, filters, wiper blades, washer pumps and other things all from Amazon without any complaints.

Most all of the parts were name brand and usually cheaper than all other online sources.

What I can say is many times the dealer parts with the BMW logo on them qualify for the BMW parts warranty of 24 month/unlimited mileage. The dealer network marks up many of their parts to cover the 24 month/unlimited mileage warranty, which many times also has to cover labor as well, so this is why some dealer parts are outrageously priced compared to non dealer parts of similar quality.

Many of the BMW parts with the BMW logo removed are the same parts the dealers sell without the 24 month/unlimited mileage warranty. This is why many times they are cheaper than the same Bosch or other similar supplier from the dealer, they just do not have the 24 month/unlimited mileage coverage.

If I was me, I would not think twice about the cost difference or quality, all the Amazon reviews are good, but you can never tell if you will get the exact same part/supplier the others the received unless there is a name brand and specific part supplier outlined in the description. Coils break down with heat over time, so unless the materials are below sub par, you should expect to get a decent service life out of them.

What I would do is stash 1 or 2 of the old coils that still appear to work in the trunk so you have some in car spares if you need them while on the road.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
//TRD power

My Ride: 3.0 | 200hp | 214trq
OEM or go home.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Mcbridges11

My Ride: 03 325i, 03 540i
for like $10 more you can get OEM through bavauto.com-id say stay away from amazon/random sellers
Mcbridges11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
I mean sure, buy one and use it as a cheap back-up. Don't replace the OEM, but perhaps keep it in the trunk should a coil fail. Then replace, go on your way and buy a reputable brand. If you're worried about one failing then keeping it in the trunk may give you ease of mind.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #7
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
As long as it works for more than a year it's good.
The money you save now compare to buying OEM can snowball into a lot more money at the time the it fails.

Change ignition coil is simple job
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
captkhaos

My Ride: '02 330Ci
Great Find!

I just ordered one to have around just in case. $30 shipped is half of the price at Bavauto.
captkhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
Amhague

My Ride: 330xi
Fcpeuro has Bosch coils for the same price. I'd buy from there.
Amhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
captkhaos

I called FCP and they quoted me $59.99 For Bosch. P/N 12131748017. They cross referenced the BMW coil I bought at the dealer 12-13-7-599-219. This is also the p/n of the coil on Amazon. It's still half price. For me it's just a cheap spare. I've only had one go bad in 90,000 miles and 10 years. But I figure the others are probably due. The dealer charged me $95.00 (with tax) AFTER giving me a 20% discount!
Old 09-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #11
thefrog1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
No, don't buy that and there is NO need to until another coil fails and that's IF it does. Don't waste money for no reason on something that doesn't need it.
So to all of you saying I shouldn't change something that isn't broken, and wait until it goes bad... I had 3 go bad within a year. My car has 230k miles on it with original coils. I have no doubt the final 3 coils will fail at some point, and I don't know why any of you would think otherwise. They are the same part in essentially the same operating conditions, and 3/6 have all failed within a short period of time.

I know the job is easy, I've done it 3 times already. I have also gotten lucky all 3 times that the coil failed when I was at home and so could easily hook up my computer, get the misfire code, run up to autozone and buy a coil and fix it. What I am trying to avoid is a coil failing when I am 1,000 miles away from home or some other inopportune time. I like to have faith that my car can get me places without having to worry about it. This is why I do things like preventative cooling system maintenance. Even if all of those 3 coils never will fail (and I find that hard to believe), a price is worth it for peace of mind.

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio
Old 09-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
captkhaos

Exactly!
Old 09-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
jfoj

Same reason to change your fuel pump. However when the fuel pump fails usually the engine fails to start.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

Old 09-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #14
thefrog1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Same reason to change your fuel pump. However when the fuel pump fails usually the engine fails to start.
My fuel pump failed on me when I was driving from Ohio to California. Luckily it failed in Vegas and not somewhere in the 300 miles of desert surrounding the city. Even then, I still had to get a hotel (wasn't planning on staying overnight), wait for autozone to open, pay for an expensive cab ride to autozone, and buy a fuel pump that didn't fit right, and install it in a gas station parking lot on the strip. Luckily I had my tools in the trunk.

Overall it turned out a lot better than it could have, but doing fuel pump as preventative maintenance would have saved quite a bit of hassle. And had I not gotten lucky on when it failed exactly when it did I could have been stuck in the middle of the desert with no cell service and a bad fuel pump.

The key to keeping an old car but still having new car reliability is doing the appropriate preventative maintenance. Sure, sometimes you replace something that may never fail, but that is the cost of having a reliable car.

Something I worry about failing is cam and crankshaft sensors. I periodically read about these sensors failing, and it always makes me worry if my car with 200k miles is overdue. But they are expensive and I don't think particularly easy to replace so I haven't done anything about it yet.

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio

Last edited by thefrog1394; 09-09-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #15
jfoj

Your issue is EXACTLY why I wrote the thread which is the 2nd link in my signature.

I think you may be one of the few that has either had or fessed up to having a pre-2001 fuel pump failure!!

You may want to cut and past your fuel pump story and post it in my fuel pump link to make others think about a PM replacement.

You should see all the nay sayers that tout they have free towing with AAA and it would not be a hassle and how a PM pump is a waste of money?

I need to start about thinking about a PM pump on my 2005 GMC, cannot pop the rear seat and be back on the road in 30 minutes!