E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #21
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
First of all, I am not defending my position I am defending the product that I purchased which I find to be accurate having compared it with the output from other reliable sources which, incidentally, you now seem to find reasons to disparage. Given that I have the product, I use the product and you have no knowledge of the product I would think that, until you do have experience of the product, you might actually acknowledge that, for the time being at least, I might know more about the product than you do. Products succeed or fail by word of mouth and my words are in favour.

I read your comment and considered its content. That's what the forum is about right? I found that I didn't agree with your comments so I posted my response. I then considered it further and and responed further as these thoughts occurred to me. Hence the multiple responses. Again they are all largely in defense of the product. Its a good product.

As far as the fault codes are concerned there are several online resources purporting to provide information about BMW fault codes. I posted one earlier. They seem to align with each other and I have no reason to disbelieve them. The codes from the scanner conform to these resources in terms of content so I have no reason to disbelieve any of it.

But the scanner just reads binary numbers that have been stored in the DME's memory by the DME in response to a signal from a sensor. It doesn't interpret them. It just displays them.
For example, if I see a 41 fault code then I will also see "Intake cam position sensor, malfunction" alongside it which it gets from its lookup table in the scanner support database.
The 41 is actually 65 decimal in hex format and relates to the P0340 pcode. Scanners don't do any more than that as far as fault codes are concerned. They do other stuff, of
course, but thats nothing to do with fault codes per say. For the scanner to provide the wrong diagnosis of a binary code stored in the DME then the scanner would have to have
the wrong code tables loaded. Right? And that is clearly not the case in this case given my observations.

The point of my original posting was to offer some advise to the OP based on my similar experience. And that advise still stands. All you are doing with this is confusing the issue
with some spurious conjecture on the validity of my chosen product which doesn't really offer any tangible alternative to the OP.

If you could perhaps point me and the OP to a list of what you, and Peake, believe to be the correct BMW codes then that would be a useful link. I would be happy to see
how my scanner aligns with such a list. That would be a positive step I'm sure you would agree.

I'm confused again by this comment: "As someone else pointed out here, Bank 1 and Bank2, as he points out below, refer to cylinder 1-3 and 4-6, and have nothing to do with the cam position sensors. These are used to identify issues with O2 sensors, knock sensors, and various cylinder issues." You then post one of my own previous comments in reference.

Then immediately below my referenced quote you say: "But, rather than take this advice, or even attempt to verify it, you just wrote your own interpretation of what Bank 1 and Bank 2 mean,
which are wrong, BTW.".... which appears to condemn the quote that you just cited. Would you care to elaborate? Rather than just say it is wrong?

In the last paragraph I'm not even sure who that's aimed at me or the OP because you seem to refer to us both. As for me having "blind faith" in my chosen resources you seem to
think everyone from me, the $multi-million international motoring organization the AA and my various local indies are all wrong whilst you are right. I'm not really sure I believe that frankly.

One thing is for sure though and that is when a scanner tells you a cylinder is misfiring, for example, it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the cylinder, the plug or
the coil. You can replace them if you want to. Its up to you. Nor does it mean that the scanner made it up. All it means is that the DME thought there was a misfire
and recorded the corresponding fault code. It might be a dodgy MAF playing havoc with fuel mixture. That's what I would call a ghost fault. One that doesn't really exist
and has the potential to lead you up the garden path. All I was doing was pointing the OP in the direction of that possibility with regards to his camshaft sensor code.
Its sharing experience which is not an exact science.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:44 PM   #22
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Well, where some people would just slink away, and pretend they were not stupid, I will go ahead and admit that I got your post confused with the OP, and took it from there. I thought he was the one saying that he used that scanner, and was arguing the fact that it had to be correct, even though he was not able to solve the problem. You can just ignore me for the time being, as I will admit that I am not at 100% or even 50%, so I should just stick to reading, and not posting.
Sorry for the confusion. I am on my fourth day of chemo, and I am obviously not running on all cylinders. I was reading and posting because I can not sleep between pain and puking my guts up. So, I will leave it to the rest of you to figure out.
You were right about the cam sensors not having anything to do with bank 1 or 2, and that the OP is getting some bad info. I honestly do not know where I got the 2 of you mixed up at this point. So, I was wrong, I am more than a little off my game, and I apologize for bringing my confusion to the post.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #23
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
Well, where some people would just slink away, and pretend they were not stupid, I will go ahead and admit that I got your post confused with the OP, and took it from there. I thought he was the one saying that he used that scanner, and was arguing the fact that it had to be correct, even though he was not able to solve the problem. You can just ignore me for the time being, as I will admit that I am not at 100% or even 50%, so I should just stick to reading, and not posting.
Sorry for the confusion. I am on my fourth day of chemo, and I am obviously not running on all cylinders. I was reading and posting because I can not sleep between pain and puking my guts up. So, I will leave it to the rest of you to figure out.
You were right about the cam sensors not having anything to do with bank 1 or 2, and that the OP is getting some bad info. I honestly do not know where I got the 2 of you mixed up at this point. So, I was wrong, I am more than a little off my game, and I apologize for bringing my confusion to the post.
Thank you for your honesty. Sorry to hear of your tribulations. I sincerely hope you emerge from whatever it is that ails you sooner rather than later. Good luck.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote