E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.44 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #261
epistaxis2008

My Ride: 2002 330ci
and if u all heard that Johnny Carson gas switcheroo joke before did u hear this one...just stumbled upon this today on facebook and I am still laughin...

A 'heads up' for those men who may be regular Lowe's, Home Depot, Costco, or even Wal-Mart customers. This one caught me totally by surprise. Over the last month I became a victim of a clever scam while
out shopping. Simply going out to get supplies has turned out to be quite traumatic. Don't be naive enough to think it couldn't happen to you or your friends.

Two seriously good-looking, college-aged girls will come over to your car or truck as you are packing your shopping into your vehicle. They both start wiping your windshield with a rag and Windex, with their breasts almost falling out of their skimpy T-shirts. (It's impossible not to look). When you thank them and offer them a tip, they say 'No' but instead ask for a ride to McDonald's.

You agree and they climb into the vehicle. On the way, they start undressing. Then one of them starts crawling all over you, while the other one steals your wallet.

I had my wallet stolen Sep. 4th, 9th, 10th, twice on the 15th, 17th, 20th, 24th, & 29th. Also Oct. 1st & 4th, twice on the 8th, 16th, 23rd, 26th & 28th, three times last Monday and very likely again this upcoming weekend.

So tell your friends to be careful. What a horrible way to take advantage of us older men. Warn your friends to be vigilant.

Wal-Mart has wallets on sale for $2.99 each. I found even cheaper ones for $.99 at the dollar store and bought them out in three of their stores. Also, you never will get to eat at McDonald's.

I've already lost 11 pounds just running back and forth from Lowe's, to Home Depot, to Costco, Etc.

So please, send this on to all the older men that you know and warn them to be on the lookout for this scam. (The best times are just before lunch and around 4:30 in the afternoon.)
epistaxis2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #262
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
All the teasing here by me means little.
I love the South and Southerners. And the food!
Could see living there.

And think I don't get enough NY jokes?

Hmmmm..... whose the weasel that told you about the wife beating??

Good riff tho on your part!

EDIT: and if I neglected to throw in an apology if I misjudged the impact of what I said, I apologize.
Want to continue to go back and forth with you on the tech side.

Thanks for taking this well.
I did not have the energy for a pissing contest!
Your wife beating secret is safe with me, as long as you keep my secret about working for Bank of America.... :O
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #263
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by epistaxis2008 View Post
and if u all heard that Johnny Carson gas switcheroo joke before did u hear this one...just stumbled upon this today on facebook and I am still laughin...

A 'heads up' for those men who may be regular Lowe's, Home Depot, Costco, or even Wal-Mart customers. This one caught me totally by surprise. Over the last month I became a victim of a clever scam while
out shopping. Simply going out to get supplies has turned out to be quite traumatic. Don't be naive enough to think it couldn't happen to you or your friends.

Two seriously good-looking, college-aged girls will come over to your car or truck as you are packing your shopping into your vehicle. They both start wiping your windshield with a rag and Windex, with their breasts almost falling out of their skimpy T-shirts. (It's impossible not to look). When you thank them and offer them a tip, they say 'No' but instead ask for a ride to McDonald's.

You agree and they climb into the vehicle. On the way, they start undressing. Then one of them starts crawling all over you, while the other one steals your wallet.

I had my wallet stolen Sep. 4th, 9th, 10th, twice on the 15th, 17th, 20th, 24th, & 29th. Also Oct. 1st & 4th, twice on the 8th, 16th, 23rd, 26th & 28th, three times last Monday and very likely again this upcoming weekend.

So tell your friends to be careful. What a horrible way to take advantage of us older men. Warn your friends to be vigilant.

Wal-Mart has wallets on sale for $2.99 each. I found even cheaper ones for $.99 at the dollar store and bought them out in three of their stores. Also, you never will get to eat at McDonald's.

I've already lost 11 pounds just running back and forth from Lowe's, to Home Depot, to Costco, Etc.

So please, send this on to all the older men that you know and warn them to be on the lookout for this scam. (The best times are just before lunch and around 4:30 in the afternoon.)
Thank you from all of us older men who shop in these places. This is clearly a public safety issue, and I thank you for your sense of civic duty by passing on this info. It was very brave of you to publicly admit to being the victim of such a horrible crime. You are a courageous man.

BTW - just a random question, you don't list a city in your info. Where exactly in the USA are you? A street address, linked to a Google map, listing nearby home improvement stores (just so we have some landmarks to navigate by)would be very helpful.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:30 PM   #264
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
Thanks for taking this well.
I did not have the energy for a pissing contest!
Your wife beating secret is safe with me, as long as you keep my secret about working for Bank of America.... :O
Not the problem!
First we become friends, then we tease.
I like reading your contributions, so carry on!
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #265
e4Tsex

My Ride: '00 328i ZSP w/ 188k
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
My thoughts would be that your figures are coming from the gauge on the dash, which is nothing more than a vacuum operated (IIRC) guesstimate.
You need to do a real measurement by filling up, resetting your trip odo to zero miles, and driving. Then, top up your tank again, and divide the exact number of gallons you put in by the number of miles traveled.
Anything else, including the gauge or the instrument cluster computer, is just a guess, and not accurate.
There was a guy a few months ago making similar claims about milage, and it turned out he was just going by the gauge, and not really calculating the real number. He had several people freaking out, and a lot of others scratching their heads until I finally asked exactly how he was getting his numbers.
If you are correctly calculating your numbers, then they are extremely good, if not too good to be true.
If you are going by that silly gauge, then I can do one better. I hav seen more than 50mpg on my car for seconds at a time.
Yes, the numbers are coming from the car's computer, but still... they have never stayed that high in five years of owning it. This has been happening on a 25 mile stretch of I5 between Woodburn and Portland in both directions, four times now. I have driven this route hundreds of times and the mpgs have never stayed above 33 max. I guess none of you have any real answers for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPR77 View Post
I can get mine to say 99mph.
I can't remember if it displays triple digits, but I have done it.

And it will for those moments, be accurate.
No, it doesn't go into triple digits. Stops at 99.9. Easy to do, just reset while engine braking.

dr-z400s / cannondale caad 5
'91 BMW 318is -> '95 BMW 318ti -> '00 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330msport View Post
i heard that this cars go like 300k miles
e4Tsex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #266
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
A friend's e46 just crapped its fuel pump at 171k. Just a to tell people it's more common than they think.

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #267
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
jneumann,

Thanks for the update.

What year was the car?

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #268
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Hey jfoj, looks like I'm forced to replace my fuel pump AND the fuel level sensor when I get back from vacation in two week. Turned on my car yesterday and it showed about 174 miles and the needle under half, then after driving went to 190 and it was OVER the half mark. I'll try to get it done on the 25th.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #269
jfoj

Jake & Neumann it appears the regulars are starting to have issues here??

Maybe I should purchase a pump and have it on hand as my wife drives the E46, not me, so you know the drill!

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

Old 09-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #270
adaseb

My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
Which item do I need to buy exactly?

#1 which is the Delivery unit, right for $330.93? Part # is 16146766942

adaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #271
Stinger9

Would it help us if we knew what your problem is?

Or how about replacing the part that's broken?

You probably are asking about the fuel pump which is the whole unit on the left?
Always buy a new gasket with that.

If you pay that price, you'll be paying double what you could get.

Look on www.furiousmethod.com for price comparisons.

Or go to www.bmaparts.com for a great price.

Just for instance: http://www.rmeuropean.com/search.asp...rd=16146766942

Last edited by Stinger9; 09-12-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:23 AM   #272
josephmech

My Ride: 2001 325i sedan 5m
Mine failed @ 120K so I replaced it needed AAA tow to house lucky I was only 5 miles away. took me 2-3 months to get to it though
josephmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:36 AM   #273
Stinger9

Only a 45 minute job if you know what you're doing!
Old 09-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #274
BMWh0r3

My Ride: 325CIvic
subscribing to read later...but the gist of it seems like the no reverse issue we automatic owners have.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #275
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post

Maybe I should purchase a pump and have it on hand as my wife drives the E46, not me, so you know the drill!
#2 on post 270

My car died on me once with 63 miles left on the OBC. Bottle of chevron every oil changed fixed it but I think it is finally going down.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #276
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Quote:
jneumann,

Thanks for the update.

What year was the car?
2000 323i if I remember correctly.

Quote:

Already happened to me 70k miles ago at ~150k on my 323i. Thankfully it died in my driveway. Unfortunately it happened with a full tank of fuel and on a cold, windy day in the middle of January in Wisconsin. Not exactly what I'd call a pleasant DIY experience. I've got a writeup on it somewhere.

Honestly, the fuel pump is one of the few items on these cars that can leave you stranded somewhere. I actually met a fellow E46 owner on the side of the road once when their fuel pump died mid road trip. Well worth the $150 and 45 minutes it takes to swap it out.

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #277
Stinger9

Motto:
Much better when you choose the time and day and place rather than the pump choosing for you when you least want to do this.
And will cost you if out on the road and need one faster than online discount price.

Last edited by Stinger9; 09-15-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #278
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
The simple answer for not doing it is money.

If I replaced every single failure prone part on this car, I'd be broke. I have more important things to spend my money on, and more important parts to replace at 100k.

I'll consider it after 175k, when I will have money and a job.

And probably an F3X 2-door well before then.

So no, I'm not doing it unless it dies while I own it.

Disclaimer:
My opinion is the opposite of your opinion, even if you change your opinion to my opinion.

SnoItaLutargNoc

Last edited by Zell; 09-15-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #279
Stinger9

Can't make you wrong.
New one could fail out on the road too.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #280
jfoj

BMW fuel pumps are like death & taxes!! We will all succumb to them at some point!