E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #3221
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboo0m View Post
might've already been address but my issue is with overspray clean up:

-how do you get it off windows without scratching the glass
-can overspray be wetsanded off if it was accidently etched onto the clear coat of neighboring panels?
In general I usually recommend a DI Accessories Medium Grade Clay Bar both on the glass and paint. This should be done after the area has been washed. With light pressure it should be totally safe to use on the glass and not scratch it. If you want to try another product the 3M Adhesive Remover or something like mineral spirits may help too.

Yes it can be wet sanded off but I would definitely try less abrasive methods mentioned above and wet sand as a last resort. Good luck!

Greg @ DI
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #3222
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnickols View Post
Quick questions I have these little white marks on the passengers side behind the door and have no idea how to get them out. They are on top of the surface and not scratches. Also how would I get these hard water stains out of my trim?
If those marks are on top of the paint and clear coat I would try to remove them with a wash and clay bar first. If that doesn't work try a cleaner like the Stoner Tarminator or a degreaser. It will help remove build ups like tar, road grime, bug smear, etc. If that doesn't work you can try a light polish and use more aggressive ones as needed.

For the trim that is a tougher question. Unfortunately BMW's are notorious for poor trim quality and many times this can no be repaired. You can try a metal polish (i.e. P21S Finish Restorer) to clean it but often times the trim does not respond. The good news is that you can also use it on wheels, trim, engine bay, exhaust tips, etc. I hope this info is helpful.

Greg @ DI
Old 06-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #3223
ImSoFreaknWhite

My Ride: '06 M3 SMG VERT
Send a message via ICQ to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via AIM to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via Yahoo to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via Skype™ to ImSoFreaknWhite
Your companies motto is clever, I like it lol

My Build Thread

l Status Gruppe One-Piece Lip l Anodized CCW Classics w/ Polished Lips l Black Grills/Gills & Emblems l Carbon Fiber Roundels
Status Rear Section l K&N 57 Series CA Intake l OEM JB Hardtop l TM Drilled/Slotted Rotors l D2 Coilovers w/Camber Plates l VIS CSL VERT Trunk
ImSoFreaknWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #3224
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwhyLE View Post
How would I go about treating a faded CF (Carbon Fiber) bootlid? I believe it is sun damage and some of it might be from trying to hand buff it with wax.

Are there any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Unfortunately a wax won't fix it unless it has some polish in it as well. A polish will be needed to help remove some of the oxidation and fine surface imperfections. I would suggest starting with a light polish like the Menzerna Super Finish Polish SF 4000 (PO106FA Nano Polish). If needed move up to a stronger polish like the Menzerna Super Intensive Polish SI 1500 (PO83). Afterward protect it with a quality sealant or wax.

Greg @ DI
Old 06-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #3225
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by odgamma15 View Post
Can't layer promo codes during checkout?? Id like to get the 15% off and get the weekly freebie... I didn't notice you can't do that the first time I ordered through you

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
Unfortunately we only allow one code per purchase. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Greg @ DI
Old 06-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #3226
328iBen

My Ride: e46 328i
Can you use a 5.5 inch pad on a 4 inch backing plate on a Porter Cable 7424xp or should I get a 5 inch backing plate?
Old 06-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #3227
Martin 03 325i

My Ride: 03 325I
What can I use to make my car smell good inside? what kind of scent or air fresher to do you guys recommend?
Old 06-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #3228
CokMinusTheS54

My Ride: '01 TiAg 325Ci 5mt
I plan to polish and seal my car this weekend for the first time in 2 or 3 years. I'm going to use Meguiars 205 and Meguiars #7 glaze with a random orbital, and apply Klasse sealant glaze by hand with terry pads.

I've got some pretty deep scratch marks in various areas that I was hoping to diminish. Is it a bad idea to use a high cut polish/compound in small areas (not going over the whole car)? Would it create noticeable spots? I've got an old bottle of Turtle wax medium cut rubbing compound in the garage, and thought maybe that would help with those deep scratches.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

~Christian

Last edited by CokMinusTheS54; 06-22-2012 at 11:28 AM.
CokMinusTheS54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #3229
CokMinusTheS54

My Ride: '01 TiAg 325Ci 5mt
Bump
Old 06-27-2012, 01:11 AM   #3230
J1Productions

My Ride: 2000 323i
Anyone use the OEM BMW Polish or wax?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer App
J1Productions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #3231
tnickols

My Ride: Mystic Blue 04 325ci
I'm about to do a full detail on my Mystic Metallic Blue 325ci and was wondering what wax you would recommend for this paint color. I was thinking Natty Blue Paste but I read that some people like the Natty Red to let the flakes pop more. I want some depth but would giving some up for a little more sparkle from the flakes.
tnickols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #3232
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iBen View Post
Can you use a 5.5 inch pad on a 4 inch backing plate on a Porter Cable 7424xp or should I get a 5 inch backing plate?
I always recommend getting the matching backing plate. So if you have a 5.5" pad you should really have the 5" backing plate. If you were to use a 4" pad you don't get enough power on the outer edges and it really detracts from the end result.

Greg @ DI
Old 08-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #3233
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin 03 325i View Post
What can I use to make my car smell good inside? what kind of scent or air fresher to do you guys recommend?
A good cleaning is what I first recommend so you don't have to mask any bad odors. After that the Squash Air are incredible as they last several weeks in great condition, after that I put it in my arm rest and every time I want a fresh scent I just open it up.

Greg @ DI
Old 08-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #3234
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CokMinusTheS54 View Post
I plan to polish and seal my car this weekend for the first time in 2 or 3 years. I'm going to use Meguiars 205 and Meguiars #7 glaze with a random orbital, and apply Klasse sealant glaze by hand with terry pads.

I've got some pretty deep scratch marks in various areas that I was hoping to diminish. Is it a bad idea to use a high cut polish/compound in small areas (not going over the whole car)? Would it create noticeable spots? I've got an old bottle of Turtle wax medium cut rubbing compound in the garage, and thought maybe that would help with those deep scratches.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

~Christian
To be honest I'm not a big fan of the Turtle Wax Heavy Cut, it's not particularly effective and it leaves plenty of haze behind. I'd personally suggest the M105. If the TW product does work for you I think it should be fine to use with spot treatments, just follow up with the M205 afterward.

Greg @ DI
Old 08-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #3235
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Productions View Post
Anyone use the OEM BMW Polish or wax?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer App
Sorry I haven't used these items.

Greg @ DI
Old 08-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #3236
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnickols View Post
I'm about to do a full detail on my Mystic Metallic Blue 325ci and was wondering what wax you would recommend for this paint color. I was thinking Natty Blue Paste but I read that some people like the Natty Red to let the flakes pop more. I want some depth but would giving some up for a little more sparkle from the flakes.
For a great value I think the Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax would be my pick. I love the depth and gloss it adds to the surface and solid protection. If your budget is a bit higher the Chemical Guys LAVA Luminous Glow Infusion Wax is an awesome new wax that is getting outstanding reviews. It really does make the paint pop!

Please don't forget sealants and waxes enhance the way the paint already looks so polishing before hand will help create the shine. If you need any recommendations on polishing let me know.

Greg @ DI
Old 09-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #3237
egruber

My Ride: 2001 325 CiC
Maybe you can help with this one. I have a 2001 e46 convertible with the sand interior. I was cleaning the vinyl around the seat belt holders (on the top of the front seats) and around the door speakers. I noticed that my cloth was stained the sand color, and the surface of the vinyl was sticky when it dried. I used Vinylex. The more I applied it, the more color came off and the surface remained sticky when dry. Any idea why it does this? And how do I clean it so it isn't sticky?

I also wanted to add that being a convertible, the interior traps a lot of soot from the highways I take to work. It gets into all the nook and crannies. Vinylex and the various leather cleaners I have tried don't seem to do very much as far as cleaning, and the sheen they leave behind attracts the dirt even faster. How do the dealers get the leather/vinyl in these cars so clean?

Last edited by egruber; 09-04-2012 at 06:38 AM.
egruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #3238
500e

My Ride: M3
Hi - I have been reading this thread and gotten tons of great information. I am new to advanced car detailing. I wanted to know what products you would recommend for Wax/Sealant & Polish for a Titanium Silver M3? I find it difficult to make Silver pop compared to colors like Imola Red etc. In less light silver looks a bit better compared to in direct sun IMO.

What polish and wax sealant is best and if there is one you would recommend specifically for Silver M3's that would be great (want more depth and detail to come through), also the car is new to me so I dont know what kind of products it may have on it from the previous owner, so I want to do a full detail and need a few recommendations on products. Here is the process I was planning on following, can you please review and let me know if you think it looks correct and recoomend the correct products for each step:

1- Snow Foam Car
2- Wash & Dry Car
3- Clay Bar Car (was planning on getting the Clay Magic 200g but need to know which lubricant is best)
4-Polish
5-Sealant
6-Wax (Need clarification on 5/6, is sealant in the wax, or is it a seperate step and product?)
7- Tire Dressing (Need recommendation on deep glossy shine product, but something that wont spin off the wheels onto the car, I also read in the post you recommend using water based for light shine and ontop add silicone for deep shine)
8- Wheel detailing (I have the 19" wheels and wanted to know what you would recommend in terms of process and products to get the most shine out of the wheels)

Engine Bay detail: This makes me very nervous I dont know if I would want to spray a hose in my engine. Would you be able to recommend a Safe way to detail the engine bay/products?

Thanks in advance!
500e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #3239
Milla

My Ride: Too many to list
Hey Greg!

Love DI, always order from you guys. Beat the prices of everyone I've ever looked at...

Quick question:

-- Leatherique seems to over-dry my seats. Just bought Chemical Guys leather care. Anything else you'd recommend to try and bring my black seats back to their best? I want them to be soft and clean.... Heard Zymol Treat is awesome but wanted an expert's opinion.

Thanks and keep up the great work, guys!

[ 1997 TECHNO VIOLET M3/4/5 VF SUPERCHARGED | 2000 IMOLA RED M5 DINAN S | 2001 PHOENIX YELLOW M3 | 2002 JET BLACK M5 | 2003 ESTORIL BLUE X5 4.6is ]

I support FelloRacing, MillaVipe & Performance Race Solutions!!!

Want to meet other enthusiasts in the area? Central Florida BMW Owners is for you!

TWITTER/millakins & INSTAGRAM/millakins
Milla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #3240
dogbox46

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323 ci
Menzerna Power Lock

Here's kind of a silly question... I used Menzerna Power Lock on my 2000 Orient Blue coupe on the weekend and it looks incredible!

The only problem is now it seems to be a complete dust magnet.

I have a California Duster (I know, I know) that I use lightly each morning before heading off to work and even the duster doesn't seem to pick up the dust now.

Am I missing something or is this normal after using a product like Power Lock?

Thanks.
dogbox46 is offline   Reply With Quote