E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #61
steve.k

My Ride: 05' 325Ci, 13' WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexus View Post
If you get the error probably the mat is broken (the mat is the sensor). There are two types of bypass, one simulates occupied seat, and the other empty seat (I first case the airbag will deploy in the second it won't). I combined the two versions, so I have a manual switch and I can choose empty or occupied seat.
Sorry for my English...
Thanks, really appreciate it, this makes a lot more sense to me now. So in terms of option one (simulating occupied seat) will the first post of this thread allow me to achieve this? I.e I don't have to open any modules up and solder wires as seen in some other posts in this thread?

The most I can do when it comes to wires and cables is being able to plug my iPhone in to the charger, that's about it Lol
steve.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:25 AM   #62
mexus

My Ride: E46 318is
profor's method is the one that stimulates occupied seat (I think the 3rd post). I cannot guarantee what's inside the **** they sell on ebay, much better to do it yourself. Don't you have a friend that is good with the solder iron? The parts you need are less than a $1.... in my country less than $0.5.
mexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:46 AM   #63
steve.k

My Ride: 05' 325Ci, 13' WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexus View Post
profor's method is the one that stimulates occupied seat (I think the 3rd post). I cannot guarantee what's inside the **** they sell on ebay, much better to do it yourself. Don't you have a friend that is good with the solder iron? The parts you need are less than a $1.... in my country less than $0.5.
Well this was taken from the first post;

"They are basically just a small resistor to imitate the resistance created when a passenger sits in the seat. They are used to control the deployment of the passenger airbags. Now this unit is fitted the airbags will always deploy as it always thinks there is a passenger (better than the other way round)."

I bought a module off ebay... the only one i could find was $35 so meh.

It doesn't require me to cut any cables or anything either... i'm pretty sure its just plug and play.

you can see it here...

This will allow the air bag to always be active.. which really doesn't bother me.
steve.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:49 AM   #64
j_block

My Ride: 2003 325i
Awesome diy. I need to do this

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App
Old 06-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #65
hk_e46

My Ride: 2000 318Ci
i knew Occupancy Sensor Bypass quite a old topic, after reading the whole thread, i come up with a new idea enlighten by mexus
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...4&postcount=55

"He suggest if possible adding a switch to the circuit to simulate a person seat on it. "

click the switch between 4.7k ohms and 100ohms looks a good idea, however still have to done manually.

do you thing is possible to tap the manual switch with wire connect to the seatbelt tensioner ?
so the passenger get in, put on the seat belt and activiate the "manual switch" ?
like adding a relay or electronic parts..

P.S. you can make a joke to the passenger "put on your selt belt or if crash, you airbag will deploy to save your life..."

is that possible? any more ideas?

*i suffer the seat mat problems too but before i put on this simple mod i try to think a better way.

Spec.: E46 318Ci 2000'
A bimmer fans from Hong Kong
hk_e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #66
mexus

My Ride: E46 318is
It is possible but no idea how to do it. Is the seatbelt tensioner a pot or a switch?
mexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #67
buxy

My Ride: e46 320d
Hi!
Well I had this problem in the passeger sensor.
First I try to resolve it with the circuit with the 100ohm resistor, and the airbag light turn off.... but I was't sure if it was "occupied" or not so I tested with INPA, and it show me this:

so I think it make the seat "unocupied".
Then I change the circuit for the 47k resistor in paralel and in inpa it show this:

I think it does make the seat "ocupied" but the child seat mark is stiil active.... so is there any child seat features in the e46 to allow child in the front seat without the airbag deploy? It apears from the inpa readings that my car have the "child seat" active...
I have NCSexpert and NCSdummy, and had read the airbag coding file and did't find any line to activate or deativate the child seat...
my airbag module is the MRS3 it's a 2000 e46, and I bought it second hand so I don't know if the previous ower had made any coding.

I hope somebody could help me, because I whant the airbags to deploy in an accident...

thanks
buxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #68
florida2002m3

My Ride: 330 ZHP
I am assuming since no one has brought it up yet that this will not make the E46 yell at your "passenger" to buckle up?
florida2002m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #69
buxy

I believe it's only possible in the more recent e46.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #70
320Touring2001

My Ride: BMW 320 touring 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by buxy View Post
Hi!
Well I had this problem in the passeger sensor.
First I try to resolve it with the circuit with the 100ohm resistor, and the airbag light turn off.... but I was't sure if it was "occupied" or not so I tested with INPA, and it show me this:

so I think it make the seat "unocupied".
Then I change the circuit for the 47k resistor in paralel and in inpa it show this:

I think it does make the seat "ocupied" but the child seat mark is stiil active.... so is there any child seat features in the e46 to allow child in the front seat without the airbag deploy? It apears from the inpa readings that my car have the "child seat" active...
I have NCSexpert and NCSdummy, and had read the airbag coding file and did't find any line to activate or deativate the child seat...
my airbag module is the MRS3 it's a 2000 e46, and I bought it second hand so I don't know if the previous ower had made any coding.

I hope somebody could help me, because I whant the airbags to deploy in an accident...

thanks
Buxy,

I have the EXACT same problem on an almost identical vehicle (2000 E46 320 Touring). I got a mat bypass from Ebay and the INPA screen is exactly like yours, showing the passenger seat as occupied and the child seat as "yes".
Did you ever figure this out?
Cheers!
320Touring2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #71
MackemX

My Ride: '05 330Cd Sport Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320Touring2001 View Post
Buxy,

I have the EXACT same problem on an almost identical vehicle (2000 E46 320 Touring). I got a mat bypass from Ebay and the INPA screen is exactly like yours, showing the passenger seat as occupied and the child seat as "yes".
Did you ever figure this out?
Cheers!
hi, I was going to wait to see what other's said but I will explain what I think is going on. I think it's the older version of INPA possibly being misleading. As you can see in the picture below it shows a passenger seat with a black dot and free in buxy's picture. I would take this as the seat being UNOCCUPIED

yet when it shows a white circle with the word occupied beside it as you can see in Buxy's 2nd picture and it's changing the state

if you use the newer version of INPA then it changes the state from not occ. Person to OCCUPIED. You can update your version of INPA but I don't know exactly what is involved or whether it's worth it

the first picture is when its OCCUPIED and the 2nd when it's UNOCCUPIED when attached to an E46

Last edited by MackemX; 09-11-2012 at 02:23 PM.
MackemX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:30 AM   #72
320Touring2001

Thanks Mac, that's very helpful. Yes, the INPA screens can be misleading.

Does anyone know what the Child Seat "Yes" and OOP "Yes" black dots indicate?
Old 09-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #73
buxy

Hi MackemX,

I don't know if the differences are in result of INPA version (I'm using 1.40). Or in result of the versions of the airbag module, as you can see in the pictures I posted, my airbag module is the MRS3 (an older module), and in your pictures where the INPA shows consistent result the module is a MRS4. I made a Google search and the menus similar to yours are all MRS4.
So I don't know if it is a IMPA version problem or a airbag module version problem.... Anyway I didn't discover yet if in my menu, it means the seat is occupied or not. If exists any "child seat" feature in the e46. And more important if the passenger airbag will deploy in a accident.
Hope I can solve this...
Old 09-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #74
E46iT

My Ride: 2004 325i Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by profor View Post
Todays mod - used 4k7 resistor

i did this mod and cost me about $3.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:08 AM   #75
320Touring2001

Again, does anyone know what the Child Seat "Yes" and OOP "Yes" black dots indicate on the INPA screen?
Old 10-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #76
glhx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
I posted in an earlier thread that my light was coming back on with the bypass. I took the seat bolts out...took the seat apart and cleaned all the connectors. I have not had a problem since. When it says the tensioner resistance is bad...this is usually what the cause is. You can buy a new tensioner wiring harness for $15 if you clean the connectors and it still doesnt work. Or there is a wire bypass for $50 that will fix the problem forever. Bmw put too small of wires in the original harness going right into the tensioner.....plug has a large yellow end on it under the seat. So far the occupied bypass i made is working well. I do not have inpa...i use pa soft
glhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #77
Tony_H

My Ride: 2001 325ti
Seatbelt warning problem?

One of the ebay vendors of plug-and-play of the type which simulates 'seat-occupied', includes this warning:

Seatbelt warning. Also as this module tries to simulate a passenger in the seat your car may sound /flash the seatbelt not fastened alarm/light. Let me know if you would like me to send you a guide on how to bypass this check. Using this bypass method, you will lose the passenger seatbelt check feature and it will function like any normal car without this feature. To modify the buckle you must break open the black covers which are glued to get at the internal switch so if you do not wish to modify the seatbelt then please do not purchase.

Has anybody experienced such a problem with the 'seatbelt not fastened' warning? Obviously you could buckle the seat up when un-occupied, but that would be a hassle, and I doubt the vehicle inspector would be impressed during his annual check if you did this, or indeed the ebay man's method of disabling the seatbelt switch.
Tony_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #78
MackemX

My Ride: '05 330Cd Sport Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_H View Post
One of the ebay vendors of plug-and-play of the type which simulates 'seat-occupied', includes this warning:

Seatbelt warning. Also as this module tries to simulate a passenger in the seat your car may sound /flash the seatbelt not fastened alarm/light. Let me know if you would like me to send you a guide on how to bypass this check. Using this bypass method, you will lose the passenger seatbelt check feature and it will function like any normal car without this feature. To modify the buckle you must break open the black covers which are glued to get at the internal switch so if you do not wish to modify the seatbelt then please do not purchase.

Has anybody experienced such a problem with the 'seatbelt not fastened' warning? Obviously you could buckle the seat up when un-occupied, but that would be a hassle, and I doubt the vehicle inspector would be impressed during his annual check if you did this, or indeed the ebay man's method of disabling the seatbelt switch.
hi, that's my listing you are quoting, you could have at least linked to it

personally, if you are contemplating fitting any of the bypasses or making your own then I don't think that modifying a simple buckle catch switch is the main concern. It's only applicable on certain models and your car for example, the E46 isn't one that has an internal switch so won't be a concern. Although the seatbelt light does also flash in an E46 if you tip the seat forward on a coupe/convertible to say the seat isn't locked into position

the later 5 series E60 and some less common models have the internal switch in the buckle catch. I have this warning as some people don't bother reading the whole listing and then wonder why it warns them about the seatbelt and there was 1 person who didn't want to modify it (100's have) so I popped in the warning about that (along with a few others). I'd rather let people know exactly what is involved and a lot of my listing has been copied and reworded but I take that as a compliment

I don't think it's part of the MOT test here in the UK as not all cars have this feature anyway but I may be mistaken if the laws have recently changed

Last edited by MackemX; 02-22-2013 at 10:47 AM.
MackemX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #79
Tony_H

My Ride: 2001 325ti
Many thanks. That clears it up for me.
Tony_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #80
evo7

My Ride: 330i
By default, for safety reason, doesn't all airbags will activate in a crash if the SRS light is on?
evo7 is offline   Reply With Quote