E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #61
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
I've made my appointment to take my car in for the fuel filling issue as well as my loud injector. Appointment is for the 25th...we'll see how it goes and I'll update this thread when I know something
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #62
BimmerG

My Ride: 2004 325i SULEV
I have an 04 325i SULEV with 60k miles. I got it used 4 y. ago with 36K. No SULEV issues so far. Although when I just bought it from the BMW deller I noticed that in every morning cold start would cause a little vibration for a few seconds. My service manager was very nice (it was still under warranty then) and checked it few times. I even left it at their shop for a morning start because that was the only time you could see the problem. They couldn't find anything. So I've been driving the car for the last 4+ years and interesting thing that it happens only during warm summer months. I don't have this issues during winter..... .

Does anybody know if there is a way to fail this SULEV pump before the warranty runs out??? I've been taking care of this car and really like to leave it for my son (he's 10 now) in 5-6 years but that is exactly when my warranty will ran out...
BimmerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #63
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
Dunno, run the gas tank to near empty every time before fillup? That puts a lot of stress on the fuel pump and it may fail prematurely.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #64
Amoeba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
We have a M56 04' coupe with 102k. Car is having trouble starting up and it appears the fuel pump is going bad not maintaining fuel pressure after car sits for a few hours. Additionally, the pressure regulator seems to be failing pumping out 70psi instead of the normal 35psi. Was quoted 7k+ to replace the sealed gas tank. Good to hear about this emissions warranty. Hopefully it'll work when we talk to a dealer next week.
Not sure if I gave an update. We had the whole gas tank, fuel pump, fuel regulator replaced for free by the dealer/bmw usa under the emissions warranty. Not a penny charged and the repair probably cost ~8k.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #65
briangl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerG View Post
I have an 04 325i SULEV with 60k miles. I got it used 4 y. ago with 36K. No SULEV issues so far. Although when I just bought it from the BMW deller I noticed that in every morning cold start would cause a little vibration for a few seconds. My service manager was very nice (it was still under warranty then) and checked it few times. I even left it at their shop for a morning start because that was the only time you could see the problem. They couldn't find anything. So I've been driving the car for the last 4+ years and interesting thing that it happens only during warm summer months. I don't have this issues during winter..... .

Does anybody know if there is a way to fail this SULEV pump before the warranty runs out??? I've been taking care of this car and really like to leave it for my son (he's 10 now) in 5-6 years but that is exactly when my warranty will ran out...
With regards to the vibration, when's the last time motor mounts were replaced? I had a similar problem and the new mounts remedied it.

As far as burning out the pump, I wish I knew

My car goes in next Tuesday for the filling problem and a loud ticking that's been diagnosed by a fellow fanatic as a loud injector. Both of which should be covered, in theory.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #66
BimmerG

Could motor mounts cause vibration in summer months mornings only and be ok during cold winter time :. And even during those summer months it's happening only at first morning start then even if the car was parked for 4 -5 hrs it starts fine.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #67
briangl92

Quote:
Could motor mounts cause vibration in summer months mornings only and be ok during cold winter time :. And even during those summer months it's happening only at first morning start then even if the car was parked for 4 -5 hrs it starts fine.
I think so. Because in the colder weather, the engine will run lean for a longer period of time to warm up, which also tends to produce more vibration. In the warm, the engine will not start out as cold, and can warm up a lot quicker so any vibration won't be as noticeable.

I had the same issue. When we purchased my car at 41k miles, the PPI said that my motor mounts were gone. I didn't replace them until 72k and by that time I was getting a decent amount of vibration.

You can check by opening up the hood and having someone hit the accelerator. The engine shouldn't move that much. If the engine movement is excessive, the mounts are at fault. My money would be on the mounts. I upgrade mine to M3 mounts btw.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #68
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
I don't think running the tank empty helps that much....we always fill up our car when the tank is empty (miles to empty shows "---") and our fuel pump is still running..(110k)
The only problem I can tell is the car hesitates during startup if I don't let the fuel pump prime first. Hopefully it goes out before the warranty ends..

Last edited by eneka; 09-20-2012 at 08:52 PM.
eneka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #69
briangl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneka View Post
I don't think running the tank empty helps that much....we always fill up our car when the tank is empty (miles to empty shows "---") and our fuel pump is still running..(110k)
The only problem I can tell is the car hesitates during startup if I don't let the fuel pump prime first. Hopefully it goes out before the warranty ends..
In general, running the tank low causes any sediment in the bottom of the tank to get sucked through. Because we don't have a serviceable fuel filter, that can cause problems. Typically, the pump is also cooled by the gasoline and running it low can also shorten its lifespan. That being said, FPs can go out for any number of reasons at any given mileage.

Interesting you say that about the hesitation. Is it like a 1/4 second on cold mornings, where the rpm is about half of idle and it almost seems like it didn't start, then it'll fire?
Old 09-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #70
BimmerG

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangl92 View Post
I think so. Because in the colder weather, the engine will run lean for a longer period of time to warm up, which also tends to produce more vibration. In the warm, the engine will not start out as cold, and can warm up a lot quicker so any vibration won't be as noticeable.

I had the same issue. When we purchased my car at 41k miles, the PPI said that my motor mounts were gone. I didn't replace them until 72k and by that time I was getting a decent amount of vibration.

You can check by opening up the hood and having someone hit the accelerator. The engine shouldn't move that much. If the engine movement is excessive, the mounts are at fault. My money would be on the mounts. I upgrade mine to M3 mounts btw.
I'm sorry I don't think I made myself clear. The car hesitates (not more than a second or so) in the summer mornings but not in the winter. I think it has something to do with the FP. It's not as notisable if I prime it first.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #71
briangl92

Quote:
I'm sorry I don't think I made myself clear. The car hesitates (not more than a second or so) in the summer mornings but not in the winter. I think it has something to do with the FP. It's not as notisable if I prime it first.
Hmmm weird. I know mine has done that in the cold but I never thought much about it because the fuel pump has never had issues.

EDIT: I just messaged a friend of mine seeing if he has any thoughts. He's a BMW guru.

Last edited by briangl92; 09-20-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #72
tigekid

My Ride: 325Ci
I've got an 05' 325Ci with 122,000. The only mod I have to the engine and it isn't really a mod is I cut the muffler and the 2nd resonator out for a little more rumble. Other than that I am all stock. I haven't had any fuel system issues ever. I bought the car at riverside bmw as a CPO with 35k miles on it. I've been trying to get something to go bad with the fuel pump so I can get it all replaced before the warranty ends for me. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1762.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	470197
Old 09-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #73
eneka

Quote:
In general, running the tank low causes any sediment in the bottom of the tank to get sucked through. Because we don't have a serviceable fuel filter, that can cause problems. Typically, the pump is also cooled by the gasoline and running it low can also shorten its lifespan. That being said, FPs can go out for any number of reasons at any given mileage.

Interesting you say that about the hesitation. Is it like a 1/4 second on cold mornings, where the rpm is about half of idle and it almost seems like it didn't start, then it'll fire?
Not exactly, if I stick the key in and immediatlybtry to crank, it just takes long for the engine to fire up compared to leaving the key in the "on" position for about 5 seconds and then cranking the engine.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #74
Amoeba

Quote:
Not exactly, if I stick the key in and immediatlybtry to crank, it just takes long for the engine to fire up compared to leaving the key in the "on" position for about 5 seconds and then cranking the engine.
That sounds exactly like the problem we had fixed under warranty. The fuel pump is not maintaining pressure when the car is off so when you try to start the car the fuel line is not primed.

We measured the fuel pressure after the car's been off for a few hours and recorded a significant drop off. The dealership ordered a new gas tank and we've not had any problems after that.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:22 AM   #75
eneka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
That sounds exactly like the problem we had fixed under warranty. The fuel pump is not maintaining pressure when the car is off so when you try to start the car the fuel line is not primed.

We measured the fuel pressure after the car's been off for a few hours and recorded a significant drop off. The dealership ordered a new gas tank and we've not had any problems after that.
my problem isn't THAT bad..it just takes around one second longer..did you just go to the dealer and told them it was taking long to startup?
Old 09-21-2012, 12:38 AM   #76
Amoeba

I took it to an Indy shop first before I learned about the warranty, and they did the fuel pressure test there. The dealer wanted to do a separate test of their own in order to qualify for the warranty.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #77
BimmerG

Quote:
my problem isn't THAT bad..it just takes around one second longer..did you just go to the dealer and told them it was taking long to startup?
It sounds like my problem also. But for some ... reason it does it during worm summer months (I'm in Upstate NY). During winter time i don't have this issue.

My BMW dealership couldn't (didn't want to??) find anything. It's been like that since I bought it over 4 y. ago when it was 36K miles on the car. (60K now).

And yes, if I prime it for a few seconds it seems to work better... .

Should I take it in ans ask for a fuel pressure test???

Seems like my BMW guys know about the warranty.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #78
briangl92

Quote:
It sounds like my problem also. But for some ... reason it does it during worm summer months (I'm in Upstate NY). During winter time i don't have this issue.

My BMW dealership couldn't (didn't want to??) find anything. It's been like that since I bought it over 4 y. ago when it was 36K miles on the car. (60K now).

And yes, if I prime it for a few seconds it seems to work better... .

Should I take it in ans ask for a fuel pressure test???

Seems like my BMW guys know about the warranty.
I bought my car with 41k and it's had this intermittent problem. I'm beginning to think more and more that it's the fuel pump bleeding off pressure in the lines, however it happens primarily when it's colder. This morning it took twice as long to start as usual. I'll let the dealership sort it out tomorrow.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #79
BimmerG

Quote:
I bought my car with 41k and it's had this intermittent problem. I'm beginning to think more and more that it's the fuel pump bleeding off pressure in the lines, however it happens primarily when it's colder. This morning it took twice as long to start as usual. I'll let the dealership sort it out tomorrow.
How did it go??
Old 09-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #80
briangl92

Dropped it off as an early bird so work won't start till tomorrow. Apparently the larger injectors are just noisier. The master tech inspected it for me before they took it back, he said the ticking from the injectors is typical of the M56.

He also said there's a purge valve in the pump that releases pressure when the car isn't running. He said that it'll release pressure but maintain enough that startups are still quick. He said if the start take on the order of ~5+ seconds, the valve is most likely the culprit. He said its typical for some starts to take little longer if the car's been parked.

I'm having them look at it for my fuel filling problem, we'll get the verdict tomorrow! Wish me luck!

Tags
m56, sulev