E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #81
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
what did u want? all these complaints about it being underwhelming, but no substance. it's diminishing returns on a maturing technology. moore's law doesn't apply to the coolness of products. you aren't going to be twice as impressed each roll out.
Yeah but apple pretends it's twice as impressive every time when in reality it's not.

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #82
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Interesting. Would you mind stating your reasons? I ask because I haven't been impressed with the Apple devices. My g/f recently "upgraded" to a 4S from an EVO (..a phone that she hated and that had horrible battery performance), but damn is that 4S slow. It takes forever to load web pages using her hotspot among other things. Despite the EVO's horrible battery life, at least it was much better performing phone where data is concerned. On the flipside, she loves the user interface of the 4S, and admittedly the form factor/design is attractive to me as well.
I've had the 4 on Verizon for nearly two years. This is the first time I've ever actually kept a phone for 90% of my two year contract and been completely content. It hasn't been until recently that the wear and tear has finally caught up, and I feel like I need a replacement. The only gripes I've ever had with the phone is the camera and the battery, both which have been improved with the 4S already.

I'm not someone who's terribly picky about a cell phone. All the people who tout the advantages of Android devices are things I have never needed, nor do I care about. Its all preference. User interface is more important to me than anything, hence why I haven't been a fan of Android.

To me, jumping from the 4, this is enough upgrades to warrant a new purchase

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #83
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
Quote:
why? and what phone features do others have that the iphone does not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
this is what i want to know. everyone loves androids but i dont know what you can do that i wont be able to.
I think this is where I'm just not cool enough to keep up w/ all these changes and advancements that are coming out for new phones.

I use my phone to call, email, text, listen to music, and browse e46 from time to time...really don't need it for much more than that. Maybe I am not taking advantage of all the possibilities a phone can offer; but for me I am on a phone for the good majority of my work day. Once that's over, I'm actually happier when I don't have it anywhere near me.

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #84
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
Unimpressed. But might as well refresh to the new phones since it's essentially free. $199 for IP5 on new contract and can probably sell my old IP4 for $199+. Don't forget you can ask for an unlock of your off-contract phones boys.

People used to being in the iOS ecosystem will probably be enough to keep this thing going. Even though it's just a minor update.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #85
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325inthe510 View Post
Yeah but apple pretends it's twice as impressive every time when in reality it's not.
apple? or is it unreal expectations from the consumer? i don't recall any apple press releases on what the new iphone is going to contain. people build it up to be something it isn't. cell phones are like cars and refrigerators now. they reach a certain point where each new model has the same basic functions as the previous ones, with a few new add ons. electric vehicles are the new game changer in the auto industry. i don't know what will be the next level for cell phones. maybe 3d projection?
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #86
217Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klubeck View Post
I think this is where I'm just not cool enough to keep up w/ all these changes and advancements that are coming out for new phones.

I use my phone to call, email, text, listen to music, and browse e46 from time to time...really don't need it for much more than that. Maybe I am not taking advantage of all the possibilities a phone can offer; but for me I am on a phone for the good majority of my work day. Once that's over, I'm actually happier when I don't have it anywhere near me.
for me, i think replacing my garmin as my gps device of choice will be the biggest change. facetime will be nice too as i am in a long distance relationship and also have a new niece watch grow.

asking siri for things seems nice too.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #87
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
apple? or is it unreal expectations from the consumer? i don't recall any apple press releases on what the new iphone is going to contain. people build it up to be something it isn't. cell phones are like cars and refrigerators now. they reach a certain point where each new model has the same basic functions as the previous ones, with a few new add ons. electric vehicles are the new game changer in the auto industry. i don't know what will be the next level for cell phones. maybe 3d projection?
I agree with this. I'm not sure what else people expect.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #88
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I agree with this. I'm not sure what else people expect.
Exactly its a phone people, think about what you were walking around with 7-10 years ago, a couple years before that mobile phones werent even common place. Now people want a home theater/phone/high powered computer in their pockets.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #89
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
why? and what phone features do others have that the iphone does not?
The question used to be phrased the other way? Now the iPhone is just content on having everything others already have? That's certainly not how they present themselves.
Quote:
apple? or is it unreal expectations from the consumer?
Both.
Quote:
i don't recall any apple press releases on what the new iphone is going to contain. people build it up to be something it isn't. cell phones are like cars and refrigerators now. they reach a certain point where each new model has the same basic functions as the previous ones, with a few new add ons. electric vehicles are the new game changer in the auto industry. i don't know what will be the next level for cell phones. maybe 3d projection?
It's their job to innovate, not ours. They should have spent more time and money coming up with ways to be better than the competition rather than suing the competition.

Maybe they shouldn't have a huge presentation only to announce gradual improvements.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #90
bry330i

My Ride: 2002 330i
people want dslr features, shaver, coffee makers on phones nowadays.
bry330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #91
Amoeba

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
It's their job to innovate, not ours. They should have spent more time and money coming up with ways to be better than the competition
That's what happens when you become too successful. When you're small you can be risky and try all kinds of crap. However when you're established you worry about a dramatic change that endangers your bread and butter. So then you go conservative and take small steps.

It's the way of the industry. This give smaller players a chance to come out with something revolutionary and the cycle begins anew. It's not a bad thing really.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #92
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness
My god....... HEADPHONES THAT DIRECT SOUND INTO MY EARS

TAKE ALL MY MONEY APPLE

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #93
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Maybe they shouldn't have a huge presentation only to announce gradual improvements.
Every single company does this now. Not a single one has released a major revolutionary improvement over a previous product in a while.

They could have added every possible wish list item (NFC, etc) and everyone would still say "psh, that's it?"
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #94
Amoeba

Apple was good at giving us something we didn't know we needed. That magic is gone now.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #95
So Lowww

My Ride: E36M
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
I've had the 4 on Verizon for nearly two years. This is the first time I've ever actually kept a phone for 90% of my two year contract and been completely content. It hasn't been until recently that the wear and tear has finally caught up, and I feel like I need a replacement. The only gripes I've ever had with the phone is the camera and the battery, both which have been improved with the 4S already.

I'm not someone who's terribly picky about a cell phone. All the people who tout the advantages of Android devices are things I have never needed, nor do I care about. Its all preference. User interface is more important to me than anything, hence why I haven't been a fan of Android.

To me, jumping from the 4, this is enough upgrades to warrant a new purchase
Exactly this for me!
Old 09-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #96
BMWh0r3

My Ride: 325CIvic
would only upgrade if my ip4 takes a bath. perfectly content this older phone without siri distracting me. did they actually upgrade the camera or is it just software upgrade again?(or is the rumor i heard false?)
Old 09-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #97
HPFMTRE

My Ride: HPF stage 3 M3
Quote:
what did u want? all these complaints about it being underwhelming, but no substance. it's diminishing returns on a maturing technology. moore's law doesn't apply to the coolness of products. you aren't going to be twice as impressed each roll out.
Edit: Whatever. Not gonna get into it. Its a nice phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRzErKaS View Post
wat?? guys with turbo M3's don't have woman troubles...

try adjusting your wastegate
HPF Stage 3 #001

R35 GTR coming soon ;)

Last edited by HPFMTRE; 09-12-2012 at 02:25 PM.
HPFMTRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #98
217Bimmer

Quote:
The question used to be phrased the other way? Now the iPhone is just content on having everything others already have? That's certainly not how they present themselves.
Both.

It's their job to innovate, not ours. They should have spent more time and money coming up with ways to be better than the competition rather than suing the competition.

sure that was true 10 years ago, but competition always catches up. name an industry where there is a leader who is ALWAYS in front?

microsoft was the same way when windows was game changing. everyone was wowed by their latest advances. not so anymore.

sony with the walkman, nike and shoes, nintendo. all were innovative and all now have competition and go through ups and downs in terms of who has the latest.

who knows what apple has in the works. you don't play all your cards at once. maybe the new gen phone will blow everyone else away. a bigger disaster than releasing the same technology a few months after is releasing something premature and having a bunch of problems.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #99
Topaz330

My Ride: 08MGT,12CLS63 Launch
people that think phones are just to make phone calls fail to consider the evolution of technology these days. If people can use their phones to read books, browse the internet, tether their 4g, book flights, video chat, find directions, etc why wouldn't they? Its all about streamlining daily conveniences these days and a phone can definitely save time and money. For some a phone can be just to make phone calls but to most its basically a mini laptop in your pocket. That being said, pretty unimpressed with the announcement but not surprised. Apple is notorious for tweaking things here and there and presenting it like its breakthrough technology. Why? To release more phones, spend less in r&d, and make more money.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #100
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
Quote:
for me, i think replacing my garmin as my gps device of choice will be the biggest change. facetime will be nice too as i am in a long distance relationship and also have a new niece watch grow.

asking siri for things seems nice too.
I still use maps and have my AAA road atlas in the glove compartment

Seriously though I do enjoy the GPS feature and use it from time to time as starting and ending location to get my bearings. I had one of the first Pioneer GPS units in my car and hated how inaccurate it was when it came down to close, turn by turn stuff....make a left now; into a wall? I know the improvements since then have made GPS units to be quite extraordinary however I have always been able to have a decent sense of direction...but that's just personal preference of course.

I understand the facetime feature but for me, that's still what I have my computer for. I acknowledge the portability that it offers. I also was in a long distance relationship before and this has caused me to hate video chatting in general

And Siri is worthless to me! I asked her "where dem hoez at?" and she gave me nothing

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is offline   Reply With Quote