E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > BC, AB, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

BC, AB, Saskatchewan, Manitoba
Find other members from your area in the enthusist directory.
AB BC Saskatchewan Manitoba

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #21
Zenocchio

My Ride: M3 vert e46 SMG
I just ordered the stuff from ecs. 12 bolts vanos and valve cover gaskets and oil and filters including trans and diff.
Thanks to Alvin's tools (I've ordered the extra pin) we should be able to do the job now!
Eta to point Roberts is mid next week
Zenocchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #22
Noodle555

My Ride: M3 Cabriolet
Good luck and let us know how it goes. Maybe we can form our own BC Vanos Repair Club!

Mods: Clear Bra | Tints | Hardwired Passport SRX | Painted Bumper Reflectors | Keyhole Cover | 6000k Predator Chromiums | 6000k Philips Ultinons | 6000k HID Fogs | Philips Silvervision Corners | OEM LED Tails | Trunk Lip Spoiler | Eisenmann Race | CSL Diffuser | CD/DVD Swap | Small Antenna | Blackout Grille and Gills | Smoked Corners

Mods ready to install: Paddle Upgrade | ZCP Rotors | CF Interior Trim
Noodle555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #23
andrewboi

My Ride: PY M3
Can I come watch and learn?

2002 Phoenix Yellow M3 6spd .: Journal :.
| CSL Trunk | CSL Diffuser | CSL Splitters | ZCP Wheels | 12F 5R | Depo LED Taillights | OEM Performance Knob | UUC SSK | Orion V2 | Dinan Free Flow Exhaust | Rogue RSM | ST V1 Coilovers | Bimmerworld Streamline Elbow
andrewboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #24
Zenocchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewboi View Post
Can I come watch and learn?
Andrew, come and teach us something instead!
One of these days I will need your help with some programming... Let me know when and if I can contact you
Old 09-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #25
Noodle555

Just ordered the 1.4.0 programming stuff. Need to read my code that throwing the SES light.

Mods: Clear Bra | Tints | Hardwired Passport SRX | Painted Bumper Reflectors | Keyhole Cover | 6000k Predator Chromiums | 6000k Philips Ultinons | 6000k HID Fogs | Philips Silvervision Corners | OEM LED Tails | Trunk Lip Spoiler | Eisenmann Race | CSL Diffuser | CD/DVD Swap | Small Antenna | Blackout Grille and Gills | Smoked Corners

Old 09-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #26
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle555 View Post
Just ordered the 1.4.0 programming stuff. Need to read my code that throwing the SES light.
Its too bad you're so far away, I have a Peake reader and a generic code reader.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #27
Noodle555

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Its too bad you're so far away, I have a Peake reader and a generic code reader.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #28
Zenocchio

I made a couple of phone calls to local dealers to see if they stock shims. All told me that they have to order them from Toronto! Where you guys got yours?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #29
mvs2

My Ride: 03 M3
All this vanos talk is making me nervous o_o
mvs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #30
Zenocchio

I want to say thank you to Taylor192 for the great help that he gave me last weekend, for my valve adjustment, it was a fun and learning experience!
and thanks to Alvin for the tools!

The valve adjustment its a tedious job that need time, and accurate measurements.
We got the shims at Autowest, but BJ had them is stock too. Weird enough, when i called them to check availability they both told me that those need to be ordered from the warehouse and it would have taken 2 days to get them. But when I called with the specific shim size, they had them ready available!

my valves were out of spec, 14 shims needed to be replace, and two valves were on the tight side.

over all it took me the whole weekend to service my 2005 M3 with 90.000km, I ordered all my parts form ECS and I did valves, filters, oil, tranny and diff fluid, vanos plate filter and gaskets, I replaced valve cover gasket and spark plugs.
I had a code relative to secondary air system lately in cold mornings, I changed the gasket on the engine side of the check valve and it seems to have solved the issue.

My exhaust hub was perfect, and that was a great relief.

Most of the shims that i replaced were 2.24mm and few 2.28.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-6.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	473664   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-5.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	473665   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-4.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	473666   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-3.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	473667  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-2.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	473668  

Last edited by Zenocchio; 10-12-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #31
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
It was a great learning experience, thanks for letting me learn on your engine!

There was definitely some lessons learned for anyone that is going to tackle this:
- we used an imperial measuring tool and converted to metric. In doing so we had a couple bad measurements or rounding errors and had to run out for shims twice. A better measuring tool would have made this much faster.
- I measured the clearances with the cam lobes pointed on an angle based on advice that the bottom half of the cam is the same diameter... yet double checking the measurements we found its best to measure with the lobes pointed straight up cause we found the measurements changed
- dropping a shim sucks on the front and back cylinders cause there's less open space to see where it went. We had one slip behind the #6 exhaust valve spring, luckily I bought a flexible magnet cause neither of us could see it.
- I was surprised by the tolerance on the shims. A 2.28 shim may actually measure as much as 2.295, which means if you're aiming for a 19 gap it becomes 17.5 and the 18 feeler gauge didn't fit. I can see why the dealerships use feeler gauges in 0.05mm increments, as the tolerance of the shims don't make it worthwhile to be super accurate.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App
Old 10-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #32
Noodle555

That's awesome! Thanks for the feedback guys. I am going to be tackling this while my car is parked for the winter. Will be a nice DIY for the two weeks I plan to take off over the Holiday Season.

Great news on the exhaust hub I can't tell you how scared I feel after reading so many horror stories. Did you do any checking on the bolts?

Changing the vanos filter and gaskets is on my list too. Seems like this could be the reason for some of the grenading.

Last edited by Noodle555; 10-15-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #33
Zenocchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle555 View Post
That's awesome! Thanks for the feedback guys. I am going to be tackling this while my car is parked for the winter. Will be a nice DIY for the two weeks I plan to take off over the Holiday Season.

Great news on the exhaust hub I can't tell you how scared I feel after reading so many horror stories. Did you do any checking on the bolts?

Changing the vanos filter and gaskets is on my list too. Seems like this could be the reason for some of the grenading.
I did not check the bolts as my car sounds alright. If you need to do it let me know I still have the 12 bolts plus the vanos gasket still in their package. I also have one L of the trans fluid and half bottle of the diff one.

On another note bad news on the secondary air system. The check light came back on! So I guess my next move will be to replace the hose as pump and check valve seems alright.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #34
Noodle555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenocchio View Post
I did not check the bolts as my car sounds alright. If you need to do it let me know I still have the 12 bolts plus the vanos gasket still in their package. I also have one L of the trans fluid and half bottle of the diff one.

On another note bad news on the secondary air system. The check light came back on! So I guess my next move will be to replace the hose as pump and check valve seems alright.
Sucks about the secondary air but look at it this way... your tabs are intact!

I'll PM you before i buy my supplies to get your advise. I bacically want to do a mini overhaul.