E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 01:15 AM   #41
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
That's really interesting because the Landcruiser I used to drive felt very much like your average SUV. I had an SR5 4Runner too.
I had a Jeep Cherokee before the Landcruiser. That felt like an SUV and had a lot of body motion if you made quick steering inputs. The Landcruiser was much more stable and had stiffer dampers that made the car much more stable on the street, but still had a lot of steering slop just like most SUVs. Going off-road a few times, the car gets to be at pretty crazy angles and does just fine as well. I even managed to get all four wheels spinning with the Landcruiser in the rain trying to do a drift, and once it caught traction, it didn't snap back violently, which I've even felt some sedans do.

I always drove the Landcruiser like it was a big tall SUV though.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:20 AM   #42
scott0482

My Ride: 2001 530i
Send a message via AIM to scott0482
NSFW
Old 09-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #43
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott0482 View Post
safe for work and has nothing to do with this thread.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:28 AM   #44
914kid

My Ride: many
Quote:
new guy not knowing what the X5 is really capable of and how reliable it CAN be
not a new guy

buuuuuuuuuuuut idk my family has always used to have land cruisers and not a single problem , X5 reliability esp the V8s and even the new one with the N55 is compared to a land cruiser.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:31 AM   #45
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
I had a Jeep Cherokee before the Landcruiser. That felt like an SUV and had a lot of body motion if you made quick steering inputs. The Landcruiser was much more stable and had stiffer dampers that made the car much more stable on the street, but still had a lot of steering slop just like most SUVs. Going off-road a few times, the car gets to be at pretty crazy angles and does just fine as well. I even managed to get all four wheels spinning with the Landcruiser in the rain trying to do a drift, and once it caught traction, it didn't snap back violently, which I've even felt some sedans do.

I always drove the Landcruiser like it was a big tall SUV though.
I had the exact opposite experience with Toyota and deem the X5 to be 85% as reliable, 100% as capable off-road, and 150% better at on-road driving.

If you rid the pressurized cooling system with waterless coolant + a different BAR cap, and the engine isn't near 100K on the same seals & timing chain guides, you're more than golden.

I post these same 2 videos all the time

These are standard crap tires on a very steep slope. It may not look that way in the video but it's steep and slippery. I've had a hard time getting a lifted 1500 Silverado on muds getting up a dry slope at equal grade

These are low pro tires wading through a river with the water level reaching the intake

With a little work the X5 can pretty much go anywhere, however I'm not sure about how good the rear bumper clearance is.

I get Top Gear makes Toyota seem "unstoppable", and I do know the mid to late 80's 4Runners ARE one of the best off-road platforms you can have, but it's so funny to see how much people understate the extreme testing BMW puts into the X5... It's not just a lifted 5 series with an SUV shell.

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:35 AM   #46
914kid

My Ride: many
Those X5's look sharp, didn't know they were that capable. Thanks for the videos!
Old 09-14-2012, 02:07 AM   #47
boce

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
I hope you never reproduce

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
He already has a son and a daughter to two different women.
boce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:08 AM   #48
Lair

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Astonished that people still don't know a Lexus is a Toyota with a gold tooth.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:37 AM   #49
mkodama

Quote:
I had the exact opposite experience with Toyota and deem the X5 to be 85% as reliable, 100% as capable off-road, and 150% better at on-road driving.

If you rid the pressurized cooling system with waterless coolant + a different BAR cap, and the engine isn't near 100K on the same seals & timing chain guides, you're more than golden.

These are standard crap tires on a very steep slope. It may not look that way in the video but it's steep and slippery. I've had a hard time getting a lifted 1500 Silverado on muds getting up a dry slope at equal grade

These are low pro tires wading through a river with the water level reaching the intake

With a little work the X5 can pretty much go anywhere, however I'm not sure about how good the rear bumper clearance is.

I get Top Gear makes Toyota seem "unstoppable", and I do know the mid to late 80's 4Runners ARE one of the best off-road platforms you can have, but it's so funny to see how much people understate the extreme testing BMW puts into the X5... It's not just a lifted 5 series with an SUV shell.
My basis to comparison was a 2005 BMW X3 to a 1994 Toyota Landcruiser doing some local fire trails. The X3 was horrible when it came to ground clearance and wheel articulation. Overall grip off-road was way down between a wheel constantly being off the ground due to stiff and insufficient suspension travel, the tires having too small and stiff of a sidewall, and the electronic aids not really knowing how to deal with the situation. Both cars being completely stock. With the Landcruiser, you just put the transfer case to low gear, the differentials electronically locked, and you just drive with much greater ease.

The BMW X cars definitely aren't lifted sedans, like that stupid 5 series GT, but they also are pretty lacking for anything off asphalt.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:53 AM   #50
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
lol @ X3

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:53 AM   #51
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
X3? Unless it's built for Dakar Rally than meh.
I got one for a loaner once, weird high step to get in but I had to bow my head too...lol. Just felt awkward to drive and I came from a pathfinder before my BMW

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies

Last edited by Fisch330ciTopasBlau; 09-14-2012 at 02:55 AM.
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:49 AM   #52
brew

My Ride: F150 X5 MR2
Land Cruisers are for cartel drug lords who want to drive through the South American jungle at 50 mph. And they're completely awesome.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:49 AM   #53
deliroast

My Ride: '02 M3 vert
Send a message via Skype™ to deliroast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau View Post
I want one of these, not the new crap.

old commander had 2 of these, red 2 door like that one and bad ass white right hand drive troop carrier.

i want an old defender though. those things can taking a beating too
deliroast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #54
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
Its the og boss SUV.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #55
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
X5 is better, I like the Toyota & Lexus but when you drive one, you'll know it's REALLY easy to flip. I've almost done it before
X5 is better? The x5 has the same offroad ability as my s2000.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #56
Crespo5190

My Ride: 2001 325CI
Hahaha this thread is fvcken hilarious
Old 09-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #57
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by aretardedorange View Post
Those X5's look sharp, didn't know they were that capable. Thanks for the videos!
I completely destroyed the diffs on my friends x6 (same car as the x5 really) by driving hard through 3" of standing water to make a big splash. They all had water in them.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 09-14-2012 at 10:48 AM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #58
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
One of the best, if not THE best SUV on the planet.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #59
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:

Oh, and I'll love to see a dealer see a video like this and say "why yes sir, we will warranty your differentials."
Old 09-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #60
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by aretardedorange View Post
They are "capable" but comparing an X5 to a Jeep, a Land Cruiser, a G wagon, or even a Land Rover is way off base. They are not in the same league. I don't see anyone ever choosing to use an X5 as an expedition rig.

I don't see anyone doing this with an x5...

Now, is it POSSIBLE to convert an X5 to be an offroad machine? Probably. However, like said earlier, I would never trust an X5 to get me home like I would a Jeep or a Land Cruiser.