E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 04:12 AM   #1
OTD
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NNJ/LA
Posts: 39
My Ride: ///
2009 M3 Jerez Black Major Paint correction 1080 HD video

Hi guys

It's been a longtime since I touch my camera gear to make some detailing videos. I just been busy polishing . Well luckily I met Richard, who is a much better video editor than I'm...and....He makes his own music ( crazy I Know )

So we have a M3 in for some major paint correction, it had a rough life before it came to us. It's been repainted, hacked by other detailers and front clearfilm was yellowing. The owner choose to have a major restoration done on his paint, all through it was not 100%. He was happy and also signed off to have it opt-coated.

Tools and products used
  • Kranzle PW + foam Cannon
  • Wheel brushes
  • Sonax Full effect
  • Prima Nero on tires
  • Wheel got Hydro
  • Washed with optimum car wash with sheepskin mitts
  • Blower to dry
  • tons of towels
  • IPA
  • 3m masking tape
  • Rupes 3 in air polisher
  • Flex PE
  • Griots polishers
  • Makita rotary
  • M101 compound
  • Prima Swirl
  • Sonax perfect finish
  • Meg MF cutting pads
  • LC PPF wool pads
  • BS yellow, orange, white pads 5in and 3 in
  • OPTI-COAT

wells here's the video!!




As Always
Please feel free to comment or ask questions
Franki
OTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
jaebea
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North Bergen, NJ
Posts: 2
My Ride: 2003 330i, 2011 M3
Really Impressive! I have a 2011 M3 in Jerez Black which I purchased new. I'm on the verge of starting my first major exterior detailing job. At the moment, I'm practicing on my 330i, because I don't have prior experience with all the methods and tools (e.g., high-speed rotary polisher/buffer) used to get the ultimate glossy finish that you achieved. I don't have paint damage issues to deal with, as you did, but I do have noticeable "orange peel." Did you have any "orange peel" to deal with in your paint correction? If so, how did you deal with it? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Btw, your location is listed as NNJ/LA. Does this mean Northern New Jersey and Louisiana, N. NJ and Los Angeles, or some other combination? If you're in N. NJ, you should check out the following website: http://alpinesignature.com
jaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
OTD
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NNJ/LA
Posts: 39
My Ride: ///
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaebea View Post
Really Impressive! I have a 2011 M3 in Jerez Black which I purchased new. I'm on the verge of starting my first major exterior detailing job. At the moment, I'm practicing on my 330i, because I don't have prior experience with all the methods and tools (e.g., high-speed rotary polisher/buffer) used to get the ultimate glossy finish that you achieved. I don't have paint damage issues to deal with, as you did, but I do have noticeable "orange peel." Did you have any "orange peel" to deal with in your paint correction? If so, how did you deal with it? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Btw, your location is listed as NNJ/LA. Does this mean Northern New Jersey and Louisiana, N. NJ and Los Angeles, or some other combination? If you're in N. NJ, you should check out the following website: http://alpinesignature.com

The car was repainted, so there was orange peel everywhere. The only way to get rid of orange peel is to wetsand, compound, and polish.

since your car is fairly new, I would get a dual action polisher and a uber green pad. And some med polish would work. for example; menzerna powerfinish. I used to live in NNJ, now I'm in Socal
OTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
jaebea
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North Bergen, NJ
Posts: 2
My Ride: 2003 330i, 2011 M3
My assumption is that visible orange peel exists in the paint layer, not just the clear coat. Which suggests that any serious quest to be rid of orange peel implies sacrifice of the clear coat. Do you agree?
I have a very good rotary polisher (Festool Shinex). What advantage would a dual-action polisher have? Works faster when heavy cutting is needed? Thanks for your comments.
jaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Pottsy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: High Point,nc
Posts: 47
My Ride: 2004 330i zhp
Car has a deep shine to it, good work.... very impressed
Pottsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:34 AM   #6
OTD
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NNJ/LA
Posts: 39
My Ride: ///
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaebea View Post
My assumption is that visible orange peel exists in the paint layer, not just the clear coat. Which suggests that any serious quest to be rid of orange peel implies sacrifice of the clear coat. Do you agree?
I have a very good rotary polisher (Festool Shinex). What advantage would a dual-action polisher have? Works faster when heavy cutting is needed? Thanks for your comments.
The festool is a awesome polisher, but you need lots of experience to master the rotary polishing. I used Dual action because its easier to use, don't worry about burning the paint, and finishes easier on most paints.
OTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:35 AM   #7
OTD
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NNJ/LA
Posts: 39
My Ride: ///
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
Car has a deep shine to it, good work.... very impressed
Thank you sir!
OTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use