E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #21
jjamal99

My Ride: 2006 BMW ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
What do they have in place of hydrants?
Hmm, I never really noticed what they have in place. I know a lot of them are attached to the sides of buildings and things like that in city areas and such.
jjamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #22
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Makes sense, but sometimes we just have large open lots with hydrants available for fires in the fields, etc. Or ready for new developments in the future.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #23
JasonSmithed

My Ride: 00 323i
Looks like west Hollywood

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Bimmer App
Old 09-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #24
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaSix View Post
He deserved it for parking in front of the hydrant, but couldn't they have routed the hose under the car?
Of course they could. If they hadn't been a bunch of jerks on a power trip they might even have thought of it.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #25
Stinger9

Firefighters are not delicate men. Thank heaven.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #26
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
Of course they could. If they hadn't been a bunch of jerks on a power trip they might even have thought of it.
If the driver wasn't a total moron who parked in front of a hydrant then they wouldn't have had to think about it. Reminds me of where I used to park in high school in some small development, on several occasions I would come back to my car and find that everyone on the street but me had been ticketed because they parked with their left side to the curb... it amazes me how many people fail to recognize simple traffic laws.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #27
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayGetaway View Post
If the driver wasn't a total moron who parked in front of a hydrant then they wouldn't have had to think about it. Reminds me of where I used to park in high school in some small development, on several occasions I would come back to my car and find that everyone on the street but me had been ticketed because they parked with their left side to the curb... it amazes me how many people fail to recognize simple traffic laws.
Well maybe the guy pulled alongside a gap and reversed into it, got out of the car and walked off without noticing. Because you certainly wouldn't notice it under those circumstances. Ever think of that before you go calling people morons? Those jerks had options and you know it.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #28
EverydayGetaway

Quote:
Well maybe the guy pulled alongside a gap and reversed into it, got out of the car and walked off without noticing. Because you certainly wouldn't notice it under those circumstances. Ever think of that before you go calling people morons? Those jerks had options and you know it.
Except for the "NO PARKING" sign right next to his car...

If you don't notice something like that, you're a moron, that simple. I bet the curb was yellow too.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #29
RayPooley

Quote:

If you don't notice something like that, you're a moron, that simple. I bet the curb was yellow too.
There's a NO PARKING sign? Where?
Old 09-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #30
Stinger9

Let me translate across the pond. We have a saying in our country that 99% of our citizens would be able to finish if you started them--"ignorance is no excuse from the law" We live by this. Or why not just do away with laws?
And we're not even hiding it! Fire hydrant is big bright white with a red top!

I got a hydrant across the street from my apartment window and no one ever parks there by accident and doesn't see the hydrant. If this guy parked there and didn't see it, he deserves broken windows just for stupidity. Darwinism breeds a stronger society.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #31
Stinger9

Quote:
They don't put no parking signs up for a hydrant.
'Cause the biggest dork knows what a hydrant means!
That sign is No Parking for he whole block between certain hours.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #32
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #33
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #34
EverydayGetaway

Quote:
They don't put no parking signs up for a hydrant.
'Cause the biggest dork knows what a hydrant means!
That sign is No Parking for he whole block between certain hours.
Probably true, still, I can't remember ever seeing a hydrant without a marked curb in front of it.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #35
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
No, they can't. Stop trying to defend an idiot. Like I said before, see how big the end of that hose is? Think they're going to take their sweet ass time trying to move it under a car when something is on FIRE? The car's right next to the curb too so there's no way it would have fit. Plus do you think they want that hose under all that pressure rubbing under exhaust hangers, bolts, and other crap under a car? And finally such a sharp angle restricts the flow of water. You know the water they're going to use to PUT OUT A FIRE.

They have more important things to worry about than precious car windows. You'll get a ticket and not a dime from the city. The way it should be.

Quote:
What do they have in place of hydrants?
Many are underground. You'll see signs for them.

Last edited by choxor; 09-14-2012 at 10:48 PM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:50 PM   #36
Saintluk2

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
Could they have routed the hose on the hood as illustrated and let the cops deal with the parking violation ? I'm not sure about this one. I think i'm leaning toward firefighters making a **** move.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1347571909542.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	469241  
Saintluk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:08 AM   #37
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintluk2 View Post
I'm not sure about this one. I think i'm leaning toward firefighters making a **** move.
I'm leaning toward the firemen training more than you and knowing more than you about their equipment.
Put yourself in their place when you try to answer each alarm in under four minutes and count on hydrants being clear for hookup when you arrive on the scene. Some Jackalope parks like this and you're going to be calm and not just go straight thru to get the hose filled with water asap and flooding the fire right now? Real men go thru $200 worth of glass without a thought when they're focused on $500,000 worth of burning real estate.
Why not let women fight fires and then they can consider which color car to break thru?
Old 09-15-2012, 12:13 AM   #38
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintluk2 View Post
Could they have routed the hose on the hood as illustrated and let the cops deal with the parking violation ? I'm not sure about this one. I think i'm leaning toward firefighters making a **** move.
It's not a garden hose. It looks like a 5in hose, which when in use is under extreme pressure. You can't lazily wrap it around crap. The straighter the path the better. The straightest path just happens to be through that idiot's window. They probably didn't go over the trunk because of the angle of the hydrant, too sharp of an angle. Also the hose gets HEAVY when in use. Go ahead and put that on your hood. Either way there would have been damage.

What I can't understand is why some moron who parked in front of a fire hydrant illegally and blocked resources that could potentially save lives is the "victim" to you and the fire fighters who are obviously there responding to a fire emergency are pulling a "dick move." If your house/apartment/box is burning down and there's a car parked in front of the hydrant, I'm sure you don't want them to spend their time first seeing how they can do the least amount of damage to the car before tending to the fire.

Last edited by choxor; 09-15-2012 at 12:28 AM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:22 AM   #39
Saintluk2

I know less about their equipment than they do, it's true. But seems like just placing the hose on the hood or roof would be quicker than breaking two automotive windows and routing it through the interior. I couldn't care less about that fellas windows.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:25 AM   #40
Saintluk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
It's not a garden hose. It looks like a 5in hose, which when in use is under extreme pressure. You can't lazily wrap it around crap. The straighter the path the better. The straightest path just happens to be through that idiot's window. They probably didn't go over the trunk because of the angle of the hydrant, too sharp of an angle. Also the hose gets HEAVY when in use.
That's the info I was missing. Not a **** move in this case.