E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #41
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Lowering is one thing.....dropping is another. We used to have guys clean & jerk, then drop the weight. Or they'd snatch, and then drop the weight. It was super annoying because those plates aren't meant to be dropped like that, and it would damage them over time.
yea dude I bought bumpers just for that reason. I would never drop steel.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #42
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
most squat/power stands have the safety catch. drop it on that.

if youve never had to drop a weight then you arent working hard enough. i laugh at the people who have spots when they are squatting. id rather drop it on metal than a human being.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #43
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
most squat/power stands have the safety catch. drop it on that.

if youve never had to drop a weight then you arent working hard enough. i laugh at the people who have spots when they are squatting. id rather drop it on metal than a human being.

I haven't ever had to drop the weight, even during my heavy 1RM days. I have had to sit though, and yeah....the rack had "catch bars". If I had dropped 480-ish pounds, it would have likely dented the catch bars. They aren't that thick. Maybe we're saying the same thing differently.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #44
BreakMyWallet

yeah
Old 09-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #45
BreakMyWallet

haha but seriously. ive had to drop plenty of weights. granted they were mostly at school with platforms.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #46
M3Inline6

Quote:
haha but seriously. ive had to drop plenty of weights. granted they were mostly at school with platforms.
Did you play collegiate ball?
Old 09-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #47
BreakMyWallet

i currently play collegiate baseball at cal state LA
Old 09-13-2012, 03:02 AM   #48
M3Inline6

Quote:
i currently play collegiate baseball at cal state LA
Ahhhhh okay. I have some buddies teaching Capoeira on that campus.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Bimmer App
Old 09-13-2012, 07:49 AM   #49
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
Quote:
no offense to you or anything, but rack dealifts are pretty fuking retarded. just my opinion. seems like people do it to show how big their d1ck is. not sure if someone thinks they are getting a workout from pulling 4 inches up.

go do goodmornings if you want to get a lower back workout.
how about you lift the way you want and i'll lift the way i want and neither one of us tells the other what to go do?

sorry, my junk size is not a factor in the gym

it's one thing to post your opinion on a topic, it's another to just correct everyone in the thread because they aren't doing it your way

and btw, not to toot my own horn , but since you are, i'm 46, and i've seen maybe 2 guys , squatting what i am , and no one even close to my age group, i must be doing something right, right for me that is, what one gets results from as far as technique is going to vary from person to person

but you should know that

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 09-13-2012 at 07:55 AM.
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #50
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
no offense to you or anything, but rack dealifts are pretty fuking retarded. just my opinion. seems like people do it to show how big their d1ck is. not sure if someone thinks they are getting a workout from pulling 4 inches up.

go do goodmornings if you want to get a lower back workout.
No offense to you or anything, but rack deads are useful and you don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #51
BreakMyWallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
how about you lift the way you want and i'll lift the way i want and neither one of us tells the other what to go do?

sorry, my junk size is not a factor in the gym

it's one thing to post your opinion on a topic, it's another to just correct everyone in the thread because they aren't doing it your way

and btw, not to toot my own horn , but since you are, i'm 46, and i've seen maybe 2 guys , squatting what i am , and no one even close to my age group, i must be doing something right, right for me that is, what one gets results from as far as technique is going to vary from person to person

but you should know that
Old 09-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #52
BreakMyWallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
No offense to you or anything, but rack deads are useful and you don't know what you're talking about.
educate me then. I just cant see how they are doing anything.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #53
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
educate me then. I just cant see how they are doing anything.
Let's say you are a big guy who can deadlift north of 500lbs. You want to get that effect on your back without performing the most dangerous portion of the workout. Voila - rack deads are your answer. Show me another way to get the work of 700lb deadlifts on your back without facing the most dangerous portion of the movement.

Do a lot of tool bags do them? Yes, admittedly. By the same measure, 99% of cross-fitters I've met are complete tool bags, yet it doesn't mean I'll criticize the efficacy of cross fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #54
DylloS

Quote:
Let's say you are a big guy who can deadlift north of 500lbs. You want to get that effect on your back without performing the most dangerous portion of the workout. Voila - rack deads are your answer. Show me another way to get the work of 700lb deadlifts on your back without facing the most dangerous portion of the movement.

Do a lot of tool bags do them? Yes, admittedly. By the same measure, 99% of cross-fitters I've met are complete tool bags, yet it doesn't mean I'll criticize the efficacy of cross fit.
lol there was a point in my life when I would disagree with your last statement but the more I talk to the more I agree with you.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #55
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
lol there was a point in my life when I would disagree with your last statement but the more I talk to the more I agree with you.
+10

...although I've always felt that way.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #56
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
+10

...although I've always felt that way.
I didn't now any better. I saw the beasts in the games then thought with a lot of dedication and cf this is what got them there. The truth is these guys do not do the wod from cf main site. They lift their asses off and do metcons and probably juice. They also were probably pretty damn strong before they ever got into cf. It's a little misleading. The average crossfitter, just like the average gym goer, looks like ass.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #57
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I didn't now any better. I saw the beasts in the games then thought with a lot of dedication and cf this is what got them there. The truth is these guys do not do the wod from cf main site. They lift their asses off and do metcons and probably juice. They also were probably pretty damn strong before they ever got into cf. It's a little misleading. The average crossfitter, just like the average gym goer, looks like ass.
True damn story!!!
Old 09-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #58
BreakMyWallet

Quote:

i get it to an extent. but its such a low mobility movement. i know most really dont care about mobility, but id way rather do goodmornings
Old 09-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #59
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
In the whole "dangerous part of the lift" etc... I get it to an extent. But wouldn't you want to train for real life challenges? If you can't deadlift 500lbs properly from ground up, that means you couldn't do the same for a box you need to move, whatever. Kinda faux strength training imo, but definitely of benefit. I should mention my 1RM is 315 so I don't have much of a clue in the difficulty
Old 09-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #60
DILLA

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
In the whole "dangerous part of the lift" etc... I get it to an extent. But wouldn't you want to train for real life challenges? If you can't deadlift 500lbs properly from ground up, that means you couldn't do the same for a box you need to move, whatever. Kinda faux strength training imo, but definitely of benefit. I should mention my 1RM is 315 so I don't have much of a clue in the difficulty
Definitely agree with you, but weak point training has it's benefits to improve whole lifts.