E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #61
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLA View Post
Definitely agree with you, but weak point training has it's benefits to improve whole lifts.
+1. I wish my weak point in the DL was from the knees up. Id much rather do rack pulls than halting deads, 1 1/4 deads, or deficit deads.

Those all suck....

I'm at the point where if gets more than a couple of inches off the ground, I know I'm making the lift.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #62
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
In the whole "dangerous part of the lift" etc... I get it to an extent. But wouldn't you want to train for real life challenges? If you can't deadlift 500lbs properly from ground up, that means you couldn't do the same for a box you need to move, whatever. Kinda faux strength training imo, but definitely of benefit. I should mention my 1RM is 315 so I don't have much of a clue in the difficulty
1. Some of us want to be muscular and don't make apologies for it.

2. Just bc I don't pull 500lbs from the floor doesn't mean I can't do it. I'm just smart enough to not do it often. As for functional strength...dude I work in insurance. Maybe our daily lives are different, but I'm more than strong enough for my needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #63
dwass325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
+1. I wish my weak point in the DL was from the knees up. Id much rather do rack pulls than halting deads, 1 1/4 deads, or deficit deads.

Those all suck....

I'm at the point where if gets more than a couple of inches off the ground, I know I'm making the lift.
Same here. If I fail, the weight is never coming off the floor. If it gets off the floor, it's coming all the way up.

Quote:
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

Old 09-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #64
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
As for functional strength...dude I work in insurance. Maybe our daily lives are different, but I'm more than strong enough for my needs.
hahaha. true!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #65
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:

Those all suck....

if my problem is the initial lift as well do you think doing romanian deads like I have been should help too. I think my problem is hamstring strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
1. Some of us want to be muscular and don't make apologies for it.

2. Just bc I don't pull 500lbs from the floor doesn't mean I can't do it. I'm just smart enough to not do it often. As for functional strength...dude I work in insurance. Maybe our daily lives are different, but I'm more than strong enough for my needs.
haha dude the only things I notice in my life that are easier since getting serious about working out is throwing the filled up shredit bags in the office on my shoulder when they need to be replaced.
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #66
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
if my problem is the initial lift as well do you think doing romanian deads like I have been should help too. I think my problem is hamstring strength.

haha dude the only things I notice in my life that are easier since getting serious about working out is throwing the filled up shredit bags in the office on my shoulder when they need to be replaced.
I would think it's quad strength. We'll see what happens when I try to pull a max dead in three weeks. I havent dead lifted in almost three months during this squat program I'm doing.

I've always heard lack of pull off the floor is a quad issue, trouble with lockout is a hamstring issue.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Old 09-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #67
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Forearms come to mind and grip strength as well, I know i can pull a hell of a lot more weight with an alternating grip... unless you guys are using straps eliminating that aspect
Old 09-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #68
dwass325

Goofy grip + straps

Quote:

Old 09-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #69
DylloS

Quote:
I would think it's quad strength. We'll see what happens when I try to pull a max dead in three weeks. I havent dead lifted in almost three months during this squat program I'm doing.

I've always heard lack of pull off the floor is a quad issue, trouble with lockout is a hamstring issue.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Interesting. I ran across a site a whole back where you clicked your issue with a particular lift and it would tell you what to do but I can't remember what it was
Old 09-15-2012, 02:56 AM   #70
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
Good information. I can't wait until dead lift Monday. In other news, I will say that performing hang cleans have really improved my overall power clean form. I was really impressed with myself Thursday morning.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Bimmer App
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #71
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Good information. I can't wait until dead lift Monday. In other news, I will say that performing hang cleans have really improved my overall power clean form. I was really impressed with myself Thursday morning.

Yeah they definitely help with power cleans. Thats why a lot of olympic coaches start from the top and work their way down to teaching the full lift.

So much less to get wrong when you start from the hang.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #72
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Forearms come to mind and grip strength as well, I know i can pull a hell of a lot more weight with an alternating grip... unless you guys are using straps eliminating that aspect
i alt grip and also switch hands in sets, i have a steel plate in my right wrist, total fusion so, some things i can't do too well

dumb bell press ,the end of the weight rests on my forearm cuz i cant tilt it , gets painful

life goes on

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 09-15-2012 at 02:39 PM.
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #73
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
my wrists are just focked from baseball, no way around it.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #74
M3Inline6

The worst part of being an athlete is the fact that we really mess up our bodies in the process. We get in excellent shape at the expense of our joints. The alternative option of sitting on our asses and doing nothing isn't any better. The irony pisses me off.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 09-15-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #75
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
Quote:
The worst part of being an athlete is the fact that we really mess up our bodies in the process. We get in excellent shape at the expense of our joints. The alternative option of sitting on our asses and doing nothing isn't any better. The irony pisses me off.

so true

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #76
dwass325

Exactly right, Steve.

Quod me nutrit me destruit.

That which nourishes me destroys me.

Quote:

Old 09-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #77
M3Inline6

I'm kinda pissed off. I didn't get as good of a workout today as I expected. My dead lift increased to 255 lbs. (4 x 5 reps), and I still had a lot in me. I wanted to achieve that woozy, exhausted feeling like I experienced the last few times, but sadly I didn't reach that point. It looks like I need to increase the weight again....

.....probably to at least 275 lbs. It's crazy how fast the weight is packing on. Just 3 weeks ago 225 lbs. felt pretty heavy for me (..the dead lift n00b ). Now 255 lbs. feels easy. Do you guys think that it's becoming easier so quickly due to my squat numbers?

Last edited by M3Inline6; 09-16-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #78
DILLA

My Ride: 330i ZHP
More than likely you are getting used to the movement and it's allowing you to do more weight quickly, your squat numbers play a factor in your strength no doubt, but anyone just starting any lift is going to see a rapid increase in numbers. It's a good feeling getting 315 off the ground when you get to that point, even better with 405! You'll be there soon enough!
Old 09-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #79
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLA View Post
More than likely you are getting used to the movement and it's allowing you to do more weight quickly, your squat numbers play a factor in your strength no doubt, but anyone just starting any lift is going to see a rapid increase in numbers. It's a good feeling getting 315 off the ground when you get to that point, even better with 405! You'll be there soon enough!
Thanks for the encouragement. I think that I'll post videos once I start getting close to the 405 lb. mark.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #80
DylloS

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement. I think that I'll post videos once I start getting close to the 405 lb. mark.

nice man.

Maybe others can comment on this but I've been reading that some upper back rounding isn't as bad as we think when nearing our max effort sets. It's more of a lower back round that we have to worry about.

Anyone have any input?

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._back_deadlift