E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
Jamie018

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i
Unhappy My car won't start

Hi guys
okay so it takes me a lot of tries to finally get my car to start. At first I thought it was the battery, but when I put the key in, the lights and radio, even the air conditioning system turns on. So. I went to autozone and the guy did a test and said that my battery was fine and the problem was the starter. So I took it to a mechanic and told him the problem. He said it's an easy fix, but he called me an hour later saying that my starter was fine (new). He then claimed that the problem was that everytime I got my oil changed, the mechanics who did it, never reset the system that keeps track of the miles of when I need my oil changed.
He then reset it but that didn't work. The car does the same thing. I put my key in, turn it everything turns on, but the car won't start. I have to keep doing that until it finally starts. It took me 20 minutes last time to finally get it to start!

Oh and i don't know if this matters but i followed the DIY on changing the 99 key fob to the diamond key fob, and i did that about a month or two ago. Could the problem be the key battery?
Jamie018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
adaseb

My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
does it crank?

im confused because at first you say it doesn't start and then after 20 minutes it starts
adaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
scarede46er

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
I think it is your key cylinder. Maybe needs cleaning lubrication or replacement. Do one thing, the next time you start the car, try and turn the key to ignition really hard (without breaking stuff obviously) and tell me if the car starts up immediately.
scarede46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
Jamie018

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaseb View Post
does it crank?

im confused because at first you say it doesn't start and then after 20 minutes it starts
well i hear it doing a little rumbling? sound(maybe). i mean it's a very subtle sound unlike all the other cars when you try and start them
Jamie018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
You need to be more specific on what is happening.g when you try to start your car.

If you have done a search here, then you can tell us what you have done to narrow it down.

What is your battery voltage? At battety and at +B terminal under the hood.

Is there a CEL?

Fuel pump?

There is a lot you can check. Many have experienced this and discussed it.

Good luck.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
It's a key issue. Key...or that ring around ignition (ews system, I think)...but I'm going with 'key.' Final random guess.

Ask me how I know!

Do you have another key...valet key? If not, order one.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
scarede46er

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
If you are like me, you will not need a new key (although it's good to have a spare). First, soak the blade of your key in water and clean off all the dirt you can. Dry it off and then use some WD40 to soak the blade. Use a wire brush to scrape off every inch of it. Use paper towels to wipe off residue.. which should be black. Then spray some WD40 on to your lock cylinder, making sure to spray it from a distance so as to no concentrate it on one spot. Let it soak for 3-4 minutes. Spray some more onto your key and insert it in the lock wiggling and turning it several times to spread the liquid everywhere. Give it about 5 minutes to dry and then try starting it.
scarede46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
I too have has this problem for a year or so. But not to this extreme (happens once or twice a month) It will sometimes just not start... When I start the car everything happens normally except the car doesn't start, aka no cranking or turning over or anything like that. For me it's completely silent. I end up taking the key out and putting my car into neutral then first then try again. It's hit or miss and when it acts up its super annoying

I have a manual car, and Ive seen topics like this before and the solution has seemed to be either the key antenna or the ignition switch.

Last edited by TR4G-; 09-16-2012 at 04:14 PM.
TR4G- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:07 AM   #9
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarede46er View Post
If you are like me, you will not need a new key (although it's good to have a spare). First, soak the blade of your key in water and clean off all the dirt you can. Dry it off and then use some WD40 to soak the blade. Use a wire brush to scrape off every inch of it. Use paper towels to wipe off residue.. which should be black. Then spray some WD40 on to your lock cylinder, making sure to spray it from a distance so as to no concentrate it on one spot. Let it soak for 3-4 minutes. Spray some more onto your key and insert it in the lock wiggling and turning it several times to spread the liquid everywhere. Give it about 5 minutes to dry and then try starting it.
WD-40 is an excellent cleaner, but, never use that crap in a lock.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #10
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
I am starting to have no sympathy for any BMW owner with only 1 key. They are just being stupid because everything they lock their key in the trunk, break the driver door lock link or loose it, they are SOL!

So you probably have a few issues to choose from:

1. Your mechanic, well what can I say, he should be selling shoes. Mileage indicator had nothing to do with your no start condition.

2. My first guess is since you recently messed with your key, this may have something to do with your problem?

3. My second guess is you need a new ignition switch or EWS ring antenna? Ignition switch is about $60 in parts, EWS antenna ring is around $20 in parts?

4. PRNDL or clutch safety switch. If your car is a manual trans, next times the car will not start, keep the ignition switch in the start position and start pumping your clutch and push is all the way to the floor and see if this helps. If an automatic, with your foot on the brake, move the shifter from park to neutral.

5. Last item is you may have an EWS issue, but this is unlikely. Before I jumped all over the EWS, buy a new key. Do not buy a Valet key, get either a replacement key or replacement keyfob. Not sure if you will get a new or old style keyfob?? A diamond keyfob from a decent dealer that is not ripping you off is about $160. But again, unclear if the replacement for the early models is a diamond fob or not?

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #11
geniukas5

My Ride: 320d
Hi,

I have same thing right now... and thing is I assume its something to do with immobilizer, cos I got to the fuel pump and when I turn key not every time it starts pumping fuel. Now I know every time when I will start or not cos I can hear pump working or not. I still haven't done anything diagnose it properly cos just finished yesterday eliminating other problems. I will try to give a good clean before I buy new key but maybe anyone have more ideas that are cheaper then new key? Maybe getting rid of immobilizer just to turn it of??
geniukas5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #12
David McMahon

My Ride: 15/Dec/98 E46 328i
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1011677
Old 09-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #13
cwgonzalez1192

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Hey guys, I'm having a similar issue; however, I have noticed a pattern:

Regular key w/ remote lock = No response to key turn (has become increasingly frequent lately, but usually I can wait a minute or two and have some luck eventually)

Valet key = Starts on first try (every time so far)

This obviously leads me to believe it has something to do with the electronics in the key but I'm new here and unfamiliar with what all is going on inside the key and the key / starter relationship. Could anyone provide some basic insight to those systems and maybe a diagnosis / prescription? Thanks!
cwgonzalez1192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:21 PM   #14
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
I'm having a hard time believing that any mechanic told you that a starter on this thing is an easy fix.

does anybody know if its even possible to get a good visual on the starter on our cars? I've yet to do mine but from all I read, it isn't fun. Let's just say it is new.

Wait a second. So how were you able to upgrade to the diamond key from the older style key? Ok, I see now. I think I know what the issue is. Let me ask you something. How were you able to keep the transponder fixed in position? From my experimentation with keys, I have had issues with my flip out key blade upgrade DIY that if the transponder is off by even 2mm, it will cause a silent non start issue. did you tape or glue the transponder into place?

It is extremely important that the transponder be in the correct position, and also, not move around. You need to find a way to keep it firmly in place. If it hasn't moved from where you last put it inside that key shell, perhaps moving it slightly in whatever direction to get it closer to the transponder reader ring thing will solve your problem.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 09-14-2014 at 06:24 PM.
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:11 PM   #15
HHI ED

My Ride: 328I
key turns but nothing happens ??

I have the same prob with my 2000 328I. How all this came to be ...My son locked the original electronic key in the trunk. So I called my dealer and they had a valet key made for $86, which just opens doors and turns ignition on. He used new valet key several times and now the electronic key does not work. Like many of you, we thought it was the battery but it checked fine. Had diagnostics and all was normal. So now I plan to call BMW and find out why the electronic key does not work anymore. ep
HHI ED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
323i, bmw, won't start