E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 138 votes, 4.08 average.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #561
TonyJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 290
My Ride: E46 330i
The coolant level sensor needs to be in the correct position, otherwise it will measure coolant incorrectly. Maybe it won't cause much trouble to hang it loosely, but as the BMW owner, it is a legally binding requirement to do things correctly

The sensor has a notch on it, and it should be a slot connected to the hole at the bottom of the coolent tank. If you can take a picture it would easier to explain. You need to match the notch with the slot and push all the way in. It is not tight, just gently push in then twist to lock it into place.
TonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #562
joegr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 230
My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
...I have seen other posts that said it could hang loose. But I don't believe everything I read, especially when it comes to short cuts.
There's no problem with this as long as you don't want it to work correctly. If you want it to work correctly, then it has to be correctly locked in.
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #563
Raymond42262
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The South
Posts: 453
My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJ View Post
The coolant level sensor needs to be in the correct position, otherwise it will measure coolant incorrectly. Maybe it won't cause much trouble to hang it loosely, but as the BMW owner, it is a legally binding requirement to do things correctly

The sensor has a notch on it, and it should be a slot connected to the hole at the bottom of the coolent tank. If you can take a picture it would easier to explain. You need to match the notch with the slot and push all the way in. It is not tight, just gently push in then twist to lock it into place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joegr View Post
There's no problem with this as long as you don't want it to work correctly. If you want it to work correctly, then it has to be correctly locked in.


I tried again.......another failure.

I tried rotating it in every direction but only one way works. I can get it in there, but it does not want to rotate. doggone it...
It sits in the bottom but it has not fallen out. I'll throw some duct tape on it until I figure it out. At least it will remain in position.

It might be going to an indy shop anyhow..............

New problem............I noticed that when I cut on the car that it whistles from the fan......it did not do that before. Please tell me it is just from sitting for 2 weeks and not because I have a bigger problem. ......please reassure me that the damage is limited to the expansion tank and nothing else. I have not driven it more than a few miles since I replaced the tank. The coolant level is where it should be, and it is not leaking.
__________________
"The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, someone to love, and something to hope for."....Joseph Addison
--------------------
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #564
TonyJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 290
My Ride: E46 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
It might be going to an indy shop anyhow..............
Dude, if you do this, you will have one less item on that list of proud accomplishments engraved on your tombstone...

I wouldn't. If it was me, I would drain the coolant, remove the tank again (since you've done it before and not too difficult), then try to figure out how to properly seat the sensor, under a magnifying glass...
TonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #565
Raymond42262
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The South
Posts: 453
My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJ View Post
Dude, if you do this, you will have one less item on that list of proud accomplishments engraved on your tombstone...

I wouldn't. If it was me, I would drain the coolant, remove the tank again (since you've done it before and not too difficult), then try to figure out how to properly seat the sensor, under a magnifying glass...
good idea
i looked at the old one but i need to try this.
it does feel good when you got it all figured out.
__________________
"The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, someone to love, and something to hope for."....Joseph Addison
--------------------
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #566
Stinger9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 7,934
My Ride: '04 330Ci
I always attempt to dry fit parts before I start a job to check to see if the production might have changed.

Or really crappy manufacturing tolerances.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #567
joegr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 230
My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
good idea
i looked at the old one but i need to try this.
it does feel good when you got it all figured out.
Maybe the new tank has a little flake of plastic in the way that should have been trimmed out?
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #568
Raymond42262
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The South
Posts: 453
My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
I always attempt to dry fit parts before I start a job to check to see if the production might have changed.

Or really crappy manufacturing tolerances.

I checked the hoses but not the sensor....


Quote:
Originally Posted by joegr View Post
Maybe the new tank has a little flake of plastic in the way that should have been trimmed out?
__________________
"The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, someone to love, and something to hope for."....Joseph Addison
--------------------
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #569
Stinger9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 7,934
My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
I checked the hoses but not the sensor....
We all gotta learn somewhere!
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:38 PM   #570
Autolycus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 2
My Ride: 1997 323i saloon
Firstly to GSherbs - we are not supposed to do any routine maintenance in our underground/under-apartment car parking bays (which we have to pay extra for...), here in Hong Kong - so naturally, one doesn't. On the other hand, Emergency repairs Are allowed - and it's astounding how many "emergency repairs' one can find to do on an old Triumph Tiger, Harley Sportster, BMW R1200C, Ducati Monster and Kawasaki Vulcan, before one bites the bullet and buys an old Beemer banger to play with...!

To the magnificent Mango - thanks for the comments on my first post, though I don't plan to dive straight into my cooling system just yet.
Then again, I have bought this Bavarian beast, knowing full well that "the heater doesn't work very well" (unquote), so I may well be taking your - very comprehensive - Cooling System Kit list of part numbers to the local BMW dealer in Kowloon - sooner than I would have hoped...! With only around 60,000 miles in your currency, I'm hoping to just do the more mundane stuff like oils & plugs, before delving deeper under that bonnet (sorry - that's the hood, for our colonial cousins...), though I'll now be having a very close look at the expansion tank for cracks/fluid level, then possibly starting her up from "cold" (that's a relative concept, over here...), and watching the temperature indication to see if we get the expected rise, then slight drop - as our thermostat opens.
If there is an actual heater problem, carrying out your "Refreshment" of the cooling system should establish a good baseline from which to start further fault diagnosis, and the mileage is about right for such a project. One reason for going from two to four wheels (apart from preferring air-conditioned, leather-covered luxury seating...), was to have another toy to play with whilst keeping these old fingers greasy - yet without disturbing anything that is running well. As an ancient English aircraft engineer for several decades used to say: "If it ain't f**ked, don't fix it...!" So I'll bear that in mind whilst happily getting to know some inner workings of this smooth old 6-pot.
Pictures may follow later, though it's a plain old silver 4-door saloon and nothing too special to look at. Until you take a peek under the skin, so to speak, and marvel at the clever toolkit (all intact...!), in the boot lid (sorry, trunk), and that magnificent motor in the front - with six little ignition coils, each sparking their own NGK Platinum plug (that's what I'll be installing, anyways...), plus even a dedicated power post for jump starting...!
Now I know why we buy BMW's.

Cheers guys - and apologies if I go on a little...!

Autolycus.
Autolycus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:52 AM   #571
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,927
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolycus View Post
Firstly to GSherbs - we are not supposed to do any routine maintenance in our underground/under-apartment car parking bays (which we have to pay extra for...), here in Hong Kong - so naturally, one doesn't. On the other hand, Emergency repairs Are allowed - and it's astounding how many "emergency repairs' one can find to do on an old Triumph Tiger, Harley Sportster, BMW R1200C, Ducati Monster and Kawasaki Vulcan, before one bites the bullet and buys an old Beemer banger to play with...!

To the magnificent Mango - thanks for the comments on my first post, though I don't plan to dive straight into my cooling system just yet.
Then again, I have bought this Bavarian beast, knowing full well that "the heater doesn't work very well" (unquote), so I may well be taking your - very comprehensive - Cooling System Kit list of part numbers to the local BMW dealer in Kowloon - sooner than I would have hoped...! With only around 60,000 miles in your currency, I'm hoping to just do the more mundane stuff like oils & plugs, before delving deeper under that bonnet (sorry - that's the hood, for our colonial cousins...), though I'll now be having a very close look at the expansion tank for cracks/fluid level, then possibly starting her up from "cold" (that's a relative concept, over here...), and watching the temperature indication to see if we get the expected rise, then slight drop - as our thermostat opens.
If there is an actual heater problem, carrying out your "Refreshment" of the cooling system should establish a good baseline from which to start further fault diagnosis, and the mileage is about right for such a project. One reason for going from two to four wheels (apart from preferring air-conditioned, leather-covered luxury seating...), was to have another toy to play with whilst keeping these old fingers greasy - yet without disturbing anything that is running well. As an ancient English aircraft engineer for several decades used to say: "If it ain't f**ked, don't fix it...!" So I'll bear that in mind whilst happily getting to know some inner workings of this smooth old 6-pot.
Pictures may follow later, though it's a plain old silver 4-door saloon and nothing too special to look at. Until you take a peek under the skin, so to speak, and marvel at the clever toolkit (all intact...!), in the boot lid (sorry, trunk), and that magnificent motor in the front - with six little ignition coils, each sparking their own NGK Platinum plug (that's what I'll be installing, anyways...), plus even a dedicated power post for jump starting...!
Now I know why we buy BMW's.

Cheers guys - and apologies if I go on a little...!

Autolycus.
Great 2nd post. Yes definitely get the stock NGK plugs. Still in for pics. The more stock the better again welcome to the forums.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:54 AM   #572
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 22,850
My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quick comment about the advice above to drain the ET to reseat the cooling level sensor...

Not necessary at all...the sensor sits in a dry part of the tank. No coolant will come out from sensor hole. It only rotates 90 degrees to get tight...iirc...maybe 180 degress...but it doesn't 'turn' a full rotation.
__________________


Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #573
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,927
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Quick comment about the advice above to drain the ET to reseat the cooling level sensor...

Not necessary at all...the sensor sits in a dry part of the tank. No coolant will come out from sensor hole. It only rotates 90 degrees to get tight...iirc...maybe 180 degress...but it doesn't 'turn' a full rotation.
Good info. but someone already said that look a few posts above. the man with the magic coolant level sensor
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #574
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 22,850
My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Tell the guy who posted above me...and who I responded to. I'm sorry, but I can't keep up with every post in every thread...especially one as long as this one. Just trying to save the guy some time.
__________________


Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #575
bimer21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 730
My Ride: stick 325i
Yeap i switch mines from washer to ET and its 90 grades, its always dry and both are same!
bimer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:29 AM   #576
TonyJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 290
My Ride: E46 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Quick comment about the advice above to drain the ET to reseat the cooling level sensor...
No one said you need to drain coolant the fit the sensor. I only said it because that poster seems to have no way to seat it properly. So I suggested to drain coolant, remove the tank, and try to figure out under a manifying glass. Did you read the context?
TonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #577
Raymond42262
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The South
Posts: 453
My Ride: Is German
I have a new problem now...........

The engine temperature light stays in the middle zone now...it has not overheated since replacing the expansion tank. Good.

I have the temp sensor in the bottom of the expansion tank. I don't think it is seated properly but it has not fallen out... Good.

But the 'low coolant' light came on Saturday. I thought I had a slow leak from a hose that was improperly installed or I had done a poor job of seating the expansion tank. But the coolant level is full. I have not leaked any fluid since I topped it off, I bled the tank thru the screw. the floating level stick pops up when I remove the cap, there are no leaks on the ground.

The engine temp gauge does not go beyond the middle, I have not found any obstructions in the hoses and I don't think it has to do with the thermostat or the water pump because if it did, then there would either be smoke or condensation and the temp gauge would go up.

The engine seems to be idling fine, I don't have that whistling sound that I had before. I concluded that the whistle was a result of coolant dripping on the belts when I filled the expansion tank or from water that may have dripped on them when I wiped dirt off the engine block with a wet rag.

Is it a bad expansion tank.....is it possible that the floating stick thing is not doing its job properly ?

Is it possible that the ratio of water to coolant is too high ? I can't tell you with certainty what the ratio is. I have added coolant, water, coolant more water too many times. I lost count how many times I removed the hoses and lost water etc...

Any ideas ?

BTW, the car is parked again.........
__________________
"The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, someone to love, and something to hope for."....Joseph Addison
--------------------

Last edited by Raymond42262; 09-24-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #578
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,927
My Ride: M54B30
did you replace the sensor and seat it correctly. maybe faulty sensor. as long as your car has the correct amount of coolant/water in it, you should be fine.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #579
Raymond42262
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The South
Posts: 453
My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
did you replace the sensor and seat it correctly. maybe faulty sensor. as long as your car has the correct amount of coolant/water in it, you should be fine.
I did not replace the sensor.

It never occurred to me because it was outside the expansion tank.

Perhaps it was damaged when it was laying around the engine block while I was messing with the hoses ?

But why would a sensor that measures temperature that mounts outside the tank have anything to do with the fluid level inside the tank ? I could understand if there was a problem with the flotation stick.

But how does a temp sensor relate to water level inside the tank ?
__________________
"The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, someone to love, and something to hope for."....Joseph Addison
--------------------
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #580
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,927
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
I did not replace the sensor.

It never occurred to me because it was outside the expansion tank.

Perhaps it was damaged when it was laying around the engine block while I was messing with the hoses ?

But why would a sensor that measures temperature that mounts outside the tank have anything to do with the fluid level inside the tank ? I could understand if there was a problem with the flotation stick.

But how does a temp sensor relate to water level inside the tank ?
who said anything about a temp sensor
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bleeding, coolant, cooling system, diy cooling, expansion tank, lower hose sensor, mango, overheat, radiator, radiator hose, temp sensor, temperature sensor, thermostat, water pump

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use