E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #21
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Last time we got a room, he tried to remove my lower hose. I told him to stop calling it that...that my lower hose was in my car, not in the room.

Mango really loves cooling stuff...gotta admit!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #22
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Last time we got a room, he tried to remove my lower hose. I told him to stop calling it that...that my lower hose was in my car, not in the room.

I told you to keep those secrets... well... secrets. Should I tell them when you tried to peak into my expansion tank with a flash light?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #23
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
Quote:

The dried-up white stuff on your engine bay is not coolant.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #24
dmax

You could have warned me that that wasn't the expansion tank, you know!

Still, I found it odd that you had a cooling level sensor there!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

Old 09-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #25
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
The dried-up white stuff on your engine bay is not coolant.
You know how I know Jake is out of the country?

Old 09-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #26
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
For someone wanting to fix a broken cooling system, without enough money to replace everything, I'm just saying that the radiator seems to hold up nicely. It's rare it has a catastrophic failure at the neck, and the leak between plastic and aluminum (which I had) is commonly not seen before high mileage.

$300 gets you everything else but the radiator. That's not really squat, is it? It addresses the most common issues we have--therm, wp, and ET.

But, on the other hand, your $500-700 doesn't get you the four ancillary hoses or hard pipes...not the whole system either.

I've said many times I agree with you to do the radiator after so many miles...I think after 120K it makes sense to do. My radiator failed at 180K miles...and I can't recall threads where a radiator has failed at under 100K...though I'm sure it's happened.

Peace brother!
Mine went last year at 95,000 miles and change. Tank was ok. Thermostat might be on the blink though.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #27
CarterRuss

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323Ci
Well I bought the car with 84,000 or so miles and they had replaced the radiator before I bought it, along with a few other things that showed replacement needs. So I assume since they replaced it, there was something wrong with it before 100k but since they did that, then I don't need to replace the radiator, its only 10k miles old.

CarterRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #28
Mango
A full five stars, son

There you have it DMAX, a radiator that failed less than 84,000 miles.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #29
dmax

That's a fair assumption, Carter. I'll also say that with my saying the radiator can last, I'm basing that on the rest of the system being okay and or the owner not trying to drive an overheated car any distance. That would certainly put pressure on things that would put them over the edge.

Finally, I'll say that I think many radiators get replaced just so a shop has covered all the bases...and make a little more money.

Sorry for the threadjacking going on in your thread...but at least you're getting views and suggestions too!

Old 09-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #30
CarterRuss

I love it, thanks for the help guys, definitely much appreciated as I was going bananas last night trying to figure out what I was going to do. Make the purchase and will grab a wrench this weekend (I think saving $400 on labor is in my best favor). Will definitely update on Sunday after I replace, the tank, hoses, and thermo.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #31
bratliff

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterRuss View Post
I love it, thanks for the help guys, definitely much appreciated as I was going bananas last night trying to figure out what I was going to do. Make the purchase and will grab a wrench this weekend (I think saving $400 on labor is in my best favor). Will definitely update on Sunday after I replace, the tank, hoses, and thermo.
Don't forget your water pump (approx $50). Also, if you can stretch the budget a little, this would be perfect time to replace your belts and, at the very least check all your pulleys and tensioners (replace them if you can afford to). You've got to remove your main belt to replace the thermo anyway. If your old belts look good, you can always keep them in the trunk as emergency spares (s'what I did ).
Old 09-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #32
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratliff View Post
Don't forget your water pump (approx $50). Also, if you can stretch the budget a little, this would be perfect time to replace your belts and, at the very least check all your pulleys and tensioners (replace them if you can afford to). You've got to remove your main belt to replace the thermo anyway. If your old belts look good, you can always keep them in the trunk as emergency spares (s'what I did ).

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #33
CarterRuss

So I didn't add the water pump or pulley's, I will most likely end up doing that tomorrow since it seems to be right with everything else I will be doing. Couple questions.

1. Is it hard to remove the automatic mech fan?

2. I read one install that required drain both the radiator and an engine plug, but I have read most that just say drain the radiator...do I have to do both?

3. Should I replace the various sensors?

PS There was a large puddle of coolant under my car...blah

Old 09-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #34
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
So I didn't add the water pump or pulley's, I will most likely end up doing that tomorrow since it seems to be right with everything else I will be doing. Couple questions.

1. Is it hard to remove the automatic mech fan?

no. i can do it in less than 30 seconds using an adjustable wrench and a screwdriver.

2. I read one install that required drain both the radiator and an engine plug, but I have read most that just say drain the radiator...do I have to do both?

ideally should do both.

3. Should I replace the various sensors?

there's a fan switch in the lower hose and a level sensor in the expansion tank.

PS There was a large puddle of coolant under my car...blah
face bavaria before starting any work

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #35
Bavaryan

My Ride: 330i w/out park.
Do yourself a favor and definitely replace the pulleys/belts while you are there. If you do not, you will suffer from paranoia of "what is that noise???" "did that pulley feel gritty???" "is my new water pump bearing bad??" etc. They are cheap, and similar to the cooling system will fail.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:02 AM   #36
CarterRuss

Mango come to Boston help me haha but I was looking through your parts list, you didn't list an expansion tank hose? Do I not need that or was that missed?

Old 09-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #37
dmax

Now you want Mango...what am I...diced peach?

You don't have to drain from drain plug, but you should...do this after you drain the ET...and since you're removing lower radiator hose anyway, that might be safer than draining from radiator if you're not replacing radiator...just so you don't mess with radiator drain plug.

Get a crush washer for drain plug, and be prepared for your coolant bath. If you happen to drink any coolant, drink a beer afterwards...I read here that alcohol neutralizes the poison from coolant. Cool story, huh?

The upper radiator hose is the ET hose...unless you mean the one below, which is part of the engine cooling/heating hoses...and I think you have two hoses down there...just be careful and slow in removing them, as the 0-rings aren't replaceable that I know of...though you might be able to get one. The issue with those other hoses is getting to the back side of them. One goes to a hard pipe floating by the intake mani...and it's pitb to get off...and you need to be gentle as that pipe is hard plastic...and to replace the hard pipe, you'd have to remove intake mani.

I think I'd recommend passing on these other hoses. I removed the last of these ancillary hoses just a few weeks ago...and all the hoses were fine. The issue is going to be the o-ring on them...the hoses last almost forever. (You could buy all the other hoses and replace those you can get to easily, but I'd hold on this for another time. (Maybe Mango found what aftermarket o-ring sizes fit our hoses? Someone did replace one of the o-rings I know...but not sure what hose. Take your 0-rings to truvalue and see what they can do.)

To remove mech fan, 32mm long thin open ended wrench, and either a long screwdriver or pulley holding device. Don't know where guys are getting them, but here you can find them from Bimmertools.com I know.

Leave the fan up and down...don't lie it flat. It's not hard to do, but I've never done it! Use the right tools...no sledge please until you know what's up!

Damn, I missed that Mango answered you 'in line'!

You don't 'have to' replace the temp or level sensors. Temp sensor you can just get the IAT 0-ring for (see jfoj's sig)...and the ET level sensor is in a dry place. If yours is working, it will continue to if you don't break it. You can replace them, but you could also save your $5 for when you need to replace them if you want.

HTH. (Oh, in places where I offered a different answer than Mango, you'll just have to decide for yourself who to believe! He'll be a little more conservative than me, but neither of us take medication for our OCD, so you'd be okay either way!)

Old 09-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #38
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Mango come to Boston help me haha but I was looking through your parts list, you didn't list an expansion tank hose? Do I not need that or was that missed?
Get it if you feel you can get
to it. I've never seen one go bad but will replace mine next time around.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Bimmer App

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #39
Vandyinc

My Ride: 2000 323 Cic
Leave your main belt on to keep resistance on the wp pulley. I was able to remove my Mech fan with just the 32mm wrench. Mech fan and shroud had to come out together. Also remember that the fan has LEFT hand threads.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #40
CarterRuss

dmax, I don't usually put all my fruit in one basket haha. But no you all have been a huge help.

I think the final list:
-3 Hoses: upper, lower, expansion
-Expansion tank and cap
-Thermostat
-Water pump
-2 belts
-crush washer

missing anything? I figure down the road I may convert to an electrical fan and do the pulleys at that time