E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #21
tim330i
Owner/Admin
 
tim330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,167
My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Everyone calm down.
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #22
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,795
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven747 View Post
i have owned my vehicle for 2.5 years and 50k and have not followed your cooling recommendations and have both had money for many performance parts and also have never had a cel except for when i did my headers. i replaced cooling system parts when i saw leaks or aging.

so in reality your recommendations aren't spot on telling people to unnecessarily drop all this money on this that might still last another 25,000 miles.

my car is a perfect example that contradicts what you preach to everyone on this forum.



now to the point of where you start bragging about how many cars you own and have never had a check engine light good for you would you like a piece of candy?
So ridiculous I don't even know where to begin.

I'll just say this... I have a memory like an elephant and I recall some of your recent posts/questions about your car or cars in general would be quite embarrassing if revealed. Your credibility in this matter would be ruined and you'd realized you shouldn't have spoke out against the good work I do. I remember having to facepalm many many MANY of your noobish statements.

You aren't doing any good for anyone by giving them advice that could contribute to an overheat.
Knowing you and your recently increased aggressive activity (I watch extremely closely and accurately) you will probably respond with some negative stuff. Im trying to help people here!!!

__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #23
Steven747
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,383
My Ride: 05 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
So ridiculous I don't even know where to begin.

I'll just say this... I have a memory like an elephant and I recall some of your recent posts/questions about your car or cars in general would be quite embarrassing if revealed. Your credibility in this matter would be ruined and you'd realized you shouldn't have spoke out against the good work I do. I remember having to facepalm many many MANY of your noobish statements.

You aren't doing any good for anyone by giving them advice that could contribute to an overheat.
Knowing you and your recently increased aggressive activity (I watch extremely closely and accurately) you will probably respond with some negative stuff. Im trying to help people here!!!

i agree with tim that this thread needs to clam down and all the other threads mango is in preaching is way.

sure ive had newbish comments but i really dont care about what other people think on a forum and im sorry that your ego is so huge on here.

i love this forum because i can ask questions and get answers not get talked down to to some one with a internet ego that always wants to be right.

all im trying to do is not scare away the new e46 owners that have heard horror stories about our cars maintenance problems which aren't true to a certain extent and that you pound into their minds.

im trying to save people some money that they really don't need to spend on these cars unless its necessary

.im done arguing and mango please tone down your preaching. thank you

and to op please buy a new cap for 10 bucks and call it a day
__________________
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #24
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,795
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven747 View Post
i agree with tim that this thread needs to clam down and all the other threads mango is in preaching is way.

sure ive had newbish comments but i really dont care about what other people think on a forum and im sorry that your ego is so huge on here.

i love this forum because i can ask questions and get answers not get talked down to to some one with a internet ego that always wants to be right.

all im trying to do is not scare away the new e46 owners that have heard horror stories about our cars maintenance problems which aren't true to a certain extent and that you pound into their minds.

im trying to save people some money that they really don't need to spend on these cars unless its necessary

.im done arguing and mango please tone down your preaching. thank you

and to op please buy a new cap for 10 bucks and call it a day

i've received countless PMs, emails, texts, calls, "shout outs" in person that i've saved their car or a buddy's car. every time i go to a meet i get strange/random people coming up to me saying "man i read your threads thanks a bunch." you have NO idea the amount of time and effort I put into helping people. don't even go there. i've done a lot for people and never ask for anything back, just as some of people probably have on here. All this "preaching" comes from experience, time and money spent, and common sense. At the end of the day, this "preaching" will cost $500 for manual cars and $720 for automatic cars. That's $83 a year over 6 years to ensure the reliability of your cooling system. Is that too much for you to handle?



See sig for details. Do it all!


"Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected."

-Steve Jobs
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #25
Zell
Registered User
 
Zell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Such City
Posts: 5,714
My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
For many on here, yes, $500 or $720 in one sitting on your car is a lot of money. Hell, that's one month of rent for me. If I had to choose between driving a car and living in an apartment, I would choose the latter, especially considering missing rent can end you up in a really really bad scenario. Some people here can only afford to replace a few things at a time rather than the entire bundle.

People would if they could. It's all about how much money they have.
__________________
Zell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #26
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,795
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
For many on here, yes, $500 or $720 in one sitting on your car is a lot of money. Hell, that's one month of rent for me. If I had to choose between driving a car and living in an apartment, I would choose the latter, especially considering missing rent can end you up in a really really bad scenario. Some people here can only afford to replace a few things at a time rather than the entire bundle.

People would if they could. It's all about how much money they have.
Right. That's why I offer my sound advice on maintaining your car on a budget. Have you seen me offer it before? If not, I suggest paying attention more.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #27
Steven747
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,383
My Ride: 05 330ci
Your 500 bucks was 7,000 in another thread
__________________
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #28
Das Borgen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7
My Ride: 748, E36, E38
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Should really replace brake components in pairs on the same axle. You don't want one side underperforming compared to the other.
nope

only really applies to pads and rotors..not calipers


calipers either work or they don't
__________________
Das Borgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:41 AM   #29
choleaoum
Ceiling missing!
 
choleaoum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 1,734
My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to choleaoum
It wouldn't hurt to tune your ego down a bit. No one is competing for a popularity contest here.
choleaoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:14 AM   #30
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 22,834
My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I'm just going to make the comment that although I know Mango comes across assertively at times, we all know how helpful he is. That's first.

Second is this. For many, the $5-700 tab for the cooling overhaul is almost always going to be less than having a shop replace 'just' what's wrong. It might be only the thermostat--$300 installed plus or minus. WP--$300 installed. ET--$300. Since even a shop can't always know exactly what is wrong, odds are that it will tell an owner they need two or more things. We've seen dealer 'done' cooling system prices over $1,000.

The alternative--'replace it all'--is a good one if the owner has the money. If the owner doesn't, then he or she is stuck learning how to be a mechanic to properly diagnose the failed item(s) and replace just them. If you can't afford an overhaul, then you'd likely being going into the system again to replace another component, the leaking hose, etc...

We can get the entire system for $300 in parts (minus radiator, which should be good up to, say 150K miles or so).

An entire system for $300 and some hours of studying time...or one part for the same at most shops (plus or minus).

The 'math' is easy to do, the studying is frustrating, but doable. The work itself is doable as we all know, as many reading have done it...and at least one of you who's done it is just this side of a moron (I read OT, so know the odds are good I'm right)!

If you were Mango, wouldn't you get tired writing a justification for 'do it all' over and over? The 'do it all' solution is actually a very good one and typically works. The 'find the broken part and fix it' solution is cheaper, but requires much more knowledge and familiarity with things...and often, the posters with cooling system issues don't have the time to get the knowledge to fix 'just' what's broken.

Also, you know...with Mango...'do it all--read my sticky' does sort of cover all the bases or at least give an owner a good entree into the exciting world of our cooling systems.

We all have egos, but I also understand Mango's frustration here at times...don't you?
__________________


Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com

Last edited by dmax; 09-19-2012 at 05:16 AM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:04 AM   #31
Vandyinc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 136
My Ride: 2000 323 Cic
^+1
__________________
Done:FCABs, OFHG, CCV, Cooling Sytem refresh, Coolantsnitch. Yet to do:Transmission fluid & filter, Shocks & Struts, VCG
Vandyinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #32
choleaoum
Ceiling missing!
 
choleaoum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 1,734
My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to choleaoum
If I were mango I would find better things to do with my time then preach about how much money I dumped into my car, what someone "needs" to do, and gloat about being appraised. I understand your point and I'm not angry with anybody here. But he's not a child, every thread he comes in preaching about cooling systems turns into a war. You can see where it gets frustrating and old. Very old. And it still continues. I thought he would have gotten the message 4 war threads ago.

If I had a nickel for everytime he spoke about how much money he dropped into his car to only look completely stock and how someone HAS to do something or even exaggerated I would have enough money for a s54 swap. I mean I would understand a big ego if he had a crazy m3 with a turbo and million dollar wheels but having a big ego over how well a cooling system maintained is like bragging about dating a fat chick. But to each there own I guess. I understand people to different routes with there cars and again nothing personal towards anyone here. I'm just stating what I observe daily in the general section.

But Seriously? Is it that important to someone to spend so much time.
choleaoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #33
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,795
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by choleaoum View Post
If I were mango I would find better things to do with my time then preach about how much money I dumped into my car, what someone "needs" to do, and gloat about being appraised. I understand your point and I'm not angry with anybody here. But he's not a child, every thread he comes in preaching about cooling systems turns into a war. You can see where it gets frustrating and old. Very old. And it still continues. I thought he would have gotten the message 4 war threads ago.

If I had a nickel for everytime he spoke about how much money he dropped into his car to only look completely stock and how someone HAS to do something or even exaggerated I would have enough money for a s54 swap. I mean I would understand a big ego if he had a crazy m3 with a turbo and million dollar wheels but having a big ego over how well a cooling system maintained is like bragging about dating a fat chick. But to each there own I guess. I understand people to different routes with there cars and again nothing personal towards anyone here. I'm just stating what I observe daily in the general section.

But Seriously? Is it that important to someone to spend so much time.
I help people. The people I've helped have let me know about it in person, via text, PM, and other ways, as well. Hell, there's a few of them in this very thread. For every 10 people I help, there's probably 1 or 2 stance guys in vehement protest or criticism against me. That's fine. I can handle it.

Remember... I pay very close attention. You two guys are frequently in the stance/w/t, and california sub-forums. You don't know the day-to-day we see here in general, even if you do side jobs installing suspension components, etc. at your dad's shop.

I do.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #34
SeanC
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 4,041
My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I'm just going to make the comment that although I know Mango comes across assertively at times, we all know how helpful he is. That's first.

Second is this. For many, the $5-700 tab for the cooling overhaul is almost always going to be less than having a shop replace 'just' what's wrong. It might be only the thermostat--$300 installed plus or minus. WP--$300 installed. ET--$300. Since even a shop can't always know exactly what is wrong, odds are that it will tell an owner they need two or more things. We've seen dealer 'done' cooling system prices over $1,000.

The alternative--'replace it all'--is a good one if the owner has the money. If the owner doesn't, then he or she is stuck learning how to be a mechanic to properly diagnose the failed item(s) and replace just them. If you can't afford an overhaul, then you'd likely being going into the system again to replace another component, the leaking hose, etc...

We can get the entire system for $300 in parts (minus radiator, which should be good up to, say 150K miles or so).

An entire system for $300 and some hours of studying time...or one part for the same at most shops (plus or minus).

The 'math' is easy to do, the studying is frustrating, but doable. The work itself is doable as we all know, as many reading have done it...and at least one of you who's done it is just this side of a moron (I read OT, so know the odds are good I'm right)!

If you were Mango, wouldn't you get tired writing a justification for 'do it all' over and over? The 'do it all' solution is actually a very good one and typically works. The 'find the broken part and fix it' solution is cheaper, but requires much more knowledge and familiarity with things...and often, the posters with cooling system issues don't have the time to get the knowledge to fix 'just' what's broken.

Also, you know...with Mango...'do it all--read my sticky' does sort of cover all the bases or at least give an owner a good entree into the exciting world of our cooling systems.

We all have egos, but I also understand Mango's frustration here at times...don't you?
Very good post. I think it needs a little more quantifying though. On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being pumping air to your tires, and 10 a complete engine rebuilt), I would say:

a) If you're a 1-3, and have money, and around 100k miles or more, get everything replaced either at dealer or an indy. You'll save money in the long run.

b) If you're a 4 or more, have money, replace everything yourself.

c) If you're a 6 or more, regardless of having money or not, you may diagnose and replace the part that needs replacing.

d) If you're a 10, why are you even looking at these threads?

JMO.
__________________

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #35
Teddy7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 957
My Ride: slides
Quote:
Originally Posted by choleaoum View Post
... is like bragging about dating a fat chick, with no health problems.
fixed*
__________________
Teddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #36
choleaoum
Ceiling missing!
 
choleaoum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 1,734
My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to choleaoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I help people. The people I've helped have let me know about it in person, via text, PM, and other ways, as well. Hell, there's a few of them in this very thread. For every 10 people I help, there's probably 1 or 2 stance guys in vehement protest or criticism against me. That's fine. I can handle it.

Remember... I pay very close attention. You two guys are frequently in the stance/w/t, and california sub-forums. You don't know the day-to-day we see here in general, even if you do side jobs installing suspension components, etc. at your dad's shop.

I do.
All of a sudden im classified as a stanced guy? I have many sets of rims to be titled that from aggressive to mild. For every 10 people you help, I notice they give you smart assed response. And other people chime in saying what you suggest is ridiculous. I wasn't attacking you but you must have taken my message the wrong way. Go back, read all your posts and you'll see there are more then enough people who disagree with you. "stanced" or not. And I learn to accept you hate people who have wide aggressive rims, And like I've said before its usually the older crowd who can't accept things are changing. I'm not mad at you for it, I'm just trying to prevent these threads from happening. And yes, I chime in the general daily, I just don't have all the time in the world to help or post 24/7.

Dmax is a lot more helpful and I understand you two are friends but he doesn't go around preaching ridiculous non sense. And bragging about his e46, thats what the showroom is for. He says his 2 cents and gets on with his life. Take some advice from him.

And again mango, I don't hold anything personal against you. All I'm saying is you should tone it down with the preaching of the cooling system. It's starting to become like the guys who go door to door asking for salvation and donations. Not everyone can afford to do a whole cooling system, we don't know there situation, or skill sets. And out of curiosity how do random people at meets know your face to be able to approach you? I'm sorry if any way my post offended you and I know you help people all the time but your post is stickied for god sakes. Just leave it alone.

But enough of me getting off topic, to the op, I recommend replacing the expansion tank and cap. If you can afford it replace then by all means replace your entire cooling system.

Last edited by choleaoum; 09-19-2012 at 11:43 AM.
choleaoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #37
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,795
My Ride: M54B30
I spot 5 or 6 things from a quick glance at your signature photo which would make me question your credibility if you were trying to give advice. From a practical and logical standpoint, I say that.

You've posted maybe three times in general. I probably have PMs in my inbox older than your account. Point is I see what goes on around here. Hang out a little longer, you'll understand.

Until then, sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #38
RayPooley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 1,440
My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor17 View Post
Hi guys, recently had my expansion tank done, The old cap keeps coming loose when putting on tight, good idea to buy a new one?

Also uncovered an underlying problem... front passenger side alloy wheel gets very hot. I'm i right in thinking its a piston that is stuck and causing the brake cylinder to rub and cause friction? I haven't had the time to have a proper look, but did the ET with help from here.

Thanks,

Raptor17
Can you buy a new tank without the cap? Bought one in Feb. Came with a cap.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #39
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,795
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
Can you buy a new tank without the cap? Bought one in Feb. Came with a cap.
Yes they don't come with caps. Should always buy the cap. Keep old one as spare in case emergency.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #40
choleaoum
Ceiling missing!
 
choleaoum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 1,734
My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to choleaoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I spot 5 or 6 things from a quick glance at your signature photo which would make me question your credibility if you were trying to give advice. From a practical and logical standpoint, I say that.

You've posted maybe three times in general. I probably have PMs in my inbox older than your account. Point is I see what goes on around here. Hang out a little longer, you'll understand.

Until then, sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride.
That's an old setup, don't be quick to judge. I went threw 4 different sets of Rims already. My customers can vouch for my car and creditability. Just cus I don't waste my day posting doesn't mean I'm not aware.

And yes, I get customers all the time saying "some crazy guy on the forums told me to replace my entire cooling system"

Last night ironically I got a fortune cookie that said "don't fix what's not broken".

Last edited by choleaoum; 09-19-2012 at 12:18 PM.
choleaoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bumper gap, expansion tank cap alloy, stance, teddy bear

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use