E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
..::|TrippinBimmer & GM 5L40-E: Transmission Mods|::..

I have been getting tons of PM's about what are my plans for my Transmission. I have been very low key about this until now. This will benefit only a few people who would like to take the Automatic Transmission to the Max.

First, here is some History on this Transmission:
The 5L40-E was designated in either "M82" (rear-wheel drive) or "MX5" (all-wheel drive) versions for service in BMW vehicles from 2000 model year until the design was superseded by (for BMW) the 6l45e and (for all others) the 6l50e series electronic automatic transmissions in 2007 . It is designed for service in vehicles up to 4000 lb (1814 kg) GVWR and in service was mated to a selection of final drive ratios 3.42:1, 3.73:1, or 3.91:1 depending on the carline. The 5L40-E had been designed for 1.8–3.6 L engines with a maximum of 250 ft·lbf (340 N·m) of torque. A notable failure mode of the assembly is lifetime overtorque in the heaviest carlines wherein the unit is matched with a significantly higher torque-rated powerplant; the transmission is well known for failing between 150,000 km and 200,000 km in the 5 series E39 and X5 BMW'S equipped with their inline 6-cylinder and V-8 powerplants, due to insufficient or contaminated lubrication during operation in cruise overdrive range, and service loads beyond the engineered maximum rating of the unit. Despite this apparent mismatch, and since carmaker BMW does not manufacture the extremely sophisticated 5l40e, BMW customers have reported that Authorized BMW Service will not repair this type of transmission, instead offering to install fully assembled units as replacement (a common practice which entails significant cost to the consumer.) An aftermarket preventive package exists to curtail early failures but is designed to alleviate very specific symptoms and generally is not a prescribed remedy for a manufacturer mismatch.
Gear ratios:

1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
R

I will be doing this in 5 stages.

1. Dinan GM Transmission Tune (Moderate Priority)
Sporty acceleration is no longer the sole domain of those who like to shift gears; Dinan Automatic Transmission Software welcomes you to the performance zone. In order to take full advantage of the higher rev-limit provided by Dinan Engine Software the transmission software raises the shift points to a higher rpm, allowing you to carry more road speed in each gear. In addition, vehicles equipped with shorter final drive gearing are then able to achieve at least 60 mph in second gear with the higher shift points for optimum 0-60 performance.

Dinan Transmission Software may only be installed in conjunction with the matching Performance Engine Software as there is no benefit without the higher rev-limit.
2. Eco-Tuning Mod (Arrived )
An early converter lockup:
No converter slip, not a rubber band effect.
Reduced fuel consumption.
Lower oil temperature.
Better lubrication.
Better heat dissipation due to lower oil temperature.
Slower aging oil.
Reduced wear on the gearbox.
Reduced wear on the lock-up clutch.
As fewer repairs.
More driving fun through the direct transmission of power.
3. IPT 5L40-E Modified Valve Body (High Priority)
Reduce or Eliminate the Shift Overlap
Reduce Wear
Crisp Shifts
4. IPT Custom TQ Converter (Low Priority)
Increase performance and reduce ET by .5 to 1 full second over a stock converter.I PT is able to custom modify your converter to suit the characteristics of your vehicle. Improved bearings, lock up clutch material and furnace braised fins yield a tremendous increase in strength and durability.
5. 5L40E Performance Transmission Rebuild Kit (Very Low Priority/Undecided)
IPT now offers High Performance Master Rebuild Kits for BMW transmissions. These kits include all necessary seals, gaskets, filters, shifting bands, friction clutches, pistons, and reaction plates that are required when rebuilding transmissions. This is the same kit use in our Built Transmission.
These are my plans and will be done slowly. I might not even get to number 5 on my list. I will keep this thread posted and how it goes.

-Anthony

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 09-20-2012 at 01:08 PM.
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:29 AM   #2
serdar255

My Ride: '01 325ci / '90 325i
Well, good luck.

*Should have gotten a manual. Gear stick in hand!

For coding, custom shift knobs, and vinyl stickers: PM me
serdar255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Looks like fun, Anthony. I don't hate on autos like I used to.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
deadwood83

My Ride: has an iron lung
Send a message via MSN to deadwood83
I wish you luck with the Dinan tune. My Dinan dealer was so inept that they failed to flash it every single time and sent the car into Limp mode. Dan at dinan was their consultant and told me that my ECU was bad

Limped home and flashed to factory in the driveway in 15 minutes (when they flashed to factory it was in limp mode again) and all was well.

But seriously, best of luck with that. I'm going the ESS route for trans software.

Software aside, it looks like we have very similar plans!

I still haven't heard back from Edvard, so if you make that end work, please let us all know how!
Old 08-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Automatics are for wimps.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
eu teo

My Ride: 330xi
Awesom info to know thanks

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
eu teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
TrippinBimmer

Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
2. Eco-Tuning Mod (Arrived )
An early converter lockup:
No converter slip, not a rubber band effect.
Reduced fuel consumption.
Lower oil temperature.
Better lubrication.
Better heat dissipation due to lower oil temperature.
Slower aging oil.
Reduced wear on the gearbox.
Reduced wear on the lock-up clutch.
As fewer repairs.
More driving fun through the direct transmission of power.
-Anthony
Well, I just placed an order on the Eco-Tuning Mod.

More Details about the Eco-Tuning Mod. As it is not publish. On the TCU there are 5 levels of pressure adjustments. You can increase the pressure if it’s needed (i.e. if the trans is slipping). Also, there are different levels for when you want the TQC to lock up. The levels (speeds) are 33/35/36 and 37mph. To change these settings you simply move a “jumper/bridge” inside the TCU, this is very easy and don’t require any tools (obviously you need to remove/open your TCU). You don’t need to do anything to activate the mod. But if you like to deactivate the mod you move the gear selector from Drive to SportDrive and back to Drive, this has to be done at speeds lower that where the TQC locks up.

-Anthony

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 09-20-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
crownaviation

My Ride: 328i
Have you rebuilt one before? How much of a PITA is this tranny to deal with? I am going to buy a replacement for mine or rebuild.. dunno yet. Just a simple gm tranny as far as teardown?
crownaviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
deadwood83

Any details on how you ordered the Eco-Tuning mod? Did you have Hagee make contact? I have tried to contact Edvard twice with no response after 3 weeks of each contact.

Definitely keep us updated please.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
TrippinBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownaviation View Post
Have you rebuilt one before? How much of a PITA is this tranny to deal with? I am going to buy a replacement for mine or rebuild.. dunno yet. Just a simple gm tranny as far as teardown?
IPT has a Manual for installing and dismantling the tranny. Which I will be getting as well and doing my own video documentation when that times come. Hopefully, not

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood83 View Post
Any details on how you ordered the Eco-Tuning mod? Did you have Hagee make contact? I have tried to contact Edvard twice with no response after 3 weeks of each contact.

Definitely keep us updated please.
I sent a deposit and waited 3 weeks so far. Shipping from Germany is slow I have hear it takes a month and few weeks. Hopefully, it shows up soon. My Tranny can't take to much more of the abuse lolz. I made my own contact with Eduard. Maybe you got the wrong address?
Old 09-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #11
deadwood83

Quote:
IPT has a Manual for installing and dismantling the tranny. Which I will be getting as well and doing my own video documentation when that times come. Hopefully, not

I sent a deposit and waited 3 weeks so far. Shipping from Germany is slow I have hear it takes a month and few weeks. Hopefully, it shows up soon. My Tranny can't take to much more of the abuse lolz. I made my own contact with Eduard. Maybe you got the wrong address?
I used the one at the bottom of the site page. I know where you're coming from with the trans taking abuse. My 1-2 at part throttle in sport causes the car to drop the rear. It's embarrassing.

If you need a manual, I have a PDF by the Auto Trans Service Association or some other name I cannot remember. Details nearly every part of the 5L40E with GM part numbers and disassembly / reassembly instructions. I'm thinking that due to the turnaround on the eco-tuning mod that I might try the valve body for starters rather than either have no car for a month or buy/clone an EGS then re-clone it again to avoid a tamper dot. Or did you get the individual mod for self-installation? Dropping the valve body isn't much beyond removing the filter.

If you want that manual, shoot me a PM with your email. Your documentation of your progress is relevant to my interests!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #12
TrippinBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood83 View Post
I used the one at the bottom of the site page. I know where you're coming from with the trans taking abuse. My 1-2 at part throttle in sport causes the car to drop the rear. It's embarrassing.

If you need a manual, I have a PDF by the Auto Trans Service Association or some other name I cannot remember. Details nearly every part of the 5L40E with GM part numbers and disassembly / reassembly instructions. I'm thinking that due to the turnaround on the eco-tuning mod that I might try the valve body for starters rather than either have no car for a month or buy/clone an EGS then re-clone it again to avoid a tamper dot. Or did you get the individual mod for self-installation? Dropping the valve body isn't much beyond removing the filter.

If you want that manual, shoot me a PM with your email. Your documentation of your progress is relevant to my interests!
I doubt the TCU will cause a tamper light. Eduard is sending me a TCU to used temp until mine is modded how I want it.

It's my username @ gmail . com

-Anthony
Old 09-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #13
TrippinBimmer

Quote:
Well, I just placed an order on the Eco-Tuning Mod.

More Details about the Eco-Tuning Mod. As it is not publish. On the TCU there are 5 levels of pressure adjustments. You can increase the pressure if it’s needed (i.e. if the trans is slipping). Also, there are different levels for when you want the TQC to lock up. The levels (speeds) are 33/35/36 and 37mph. To change these settings you simply move a “jumper/bridge” inside the TCU, this is very easy and don’t require any tools (obviously you need to remove/open your TCU). You don’t need to do anything to activate the mod. But if you like to deactivate the mod you move the gear selector from Drive to SportDrive and back to Drive, this has to be done at speeds lower that where the TQC locks up.

-Anthony
TCU just arrived today I will be posting pics up soon and etc.

-Anthony

BTW: Car feels so much more connected
Old 09-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #14
jungy

My Ride: 01' 330i
I'm interested to see how the auto mods work out for you. Coming from the dsm scene auto's have become the big thing and IPT has done some great things for those transmissions.
Eurosport Monza wheels, ZHP front bumper, facelift hood, gloss black kidneys, 6000k xenon bulbs, 6000k angel eyes, smoked corners & side markers, ACS roof spoiler, ZHP lip spoiler, EE LED tails, Dynavin D99
Dinan CAI, Dinan exhaust, BB Supersprint Replica Headers, Dinan High Flow TB, Dinan s2 ECU, Dinan engine covers, UUC SSK, Dinan front & rear strut bars, Dinan sway bars, Dinan lowering springs, Koni yellow struts
jungy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #15
crownaviation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungy View Post
Coming from the dsm scene
Just threw up in my mouth some... lol j/k
Old 09-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #16
jungy

My Ride: 01' 330i
Haha. Its a lot cheaper to go fast in a dsm and there's a lot more aftermarket support. With that being said, I will never go back to owning a dsm again though.
Eurosport Monza wheels, ZHP front bumper, facelift hood, gloss black kidneys, 6000k xenon bulbs, 6000k angel eyes, smoked corners & side markers, ACS roof spoiler, ZHP lip spoiler, EE LED tails, Dynavin D99
Dinan CAI, Dinan exhaust, BB Supersprint Replica Headers, Dinan High Flow TB, Dinan s2 ECU, Dinan engine covers, UUC SSK, Dinan front & rear strut bars, Dinan sway bars, Dinan lowering springs, Koni yellow struts
jungy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #17
crownaviation

Quote:
Haha. Its a lot cheaper to go fast in a dsm and there's a lot more aftermarket support. With that being said, I will never go back to owning a dsm again though.
Yeah you can do a lot with them. I dumped about 35k into my mustang and only run 10's (no n20). Have not built a bmw yet but think it would be a fun auto x machine.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #18
KPTuned

My Ride: 325iA
Send a message via ICQ to KPTuned Send a message via AIM to KPTuned
Any internal adjustments? I have heard about adjusting and shimming a pressure valve for harder shifts but I cant find any definitive details.
KPTuned Megasquirt Integration Services & Tuning
KPTuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #19
Drewfus2101

My Ride: N/A
I'm interested too. I've got an auto that will go out one day. When it does, I plan on fixing it and beefing with some of these type parts.
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #20
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
You say that now....

Quote: