E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic

Mid Atlantic
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
DC DE MD PA VA WV

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #21
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
This link tells you toll prices:

http://www.metwashairports.com/tollroad/929.htm

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #22
scott0482

My Ride: 2001 530i
Send a message via AIM to scott0482
Just get on Craigslist and start looking at rooms for rent.
Are you interested in nightlife at all? Do you want to be near public transportation?
You can get a room in a house, townhouse, etc on Craigslist for $700-900 a month and live in an area with nightlife and metro access. But It could be hard with it possibly being just a few months.
I would personally try to live close to work, unless you can work off hours, and try to NOT live somewhere that would require you to take 66. I hate that road.

Last edited by scott0482; 09-16-2012 at 11:12 PM.
scott0482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:57 AM   #23
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbored786 View Post
This link tells you toll prices:

http://www.metwashairports.com/tollroad/929.htm
thanks. damn those rates are cheap. does it change during different times of the day? or just one flat rate. on that link, it looks like there's only one rate, just depends on the type of car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott0482 View Post
Just get on Craigslist and start looking at rooms for rent.
Are you interested in nightlife at all? Do you want to be near public transportation?
You can get a room in a house, townhouse, etc on Craigslist for $700-900 a month and live in an area with nightlife and metro access. But It could be hard with it possibly being just a few months.
I would personally try to live close to work, unless you can work off hours, and try to NOT live somewhere that would require you to take 66. I hate that road.
nah i'm not interested in the night life at all. just work and go home i guess. what's wrong with the 66 if you don't mind my asking? but yea, i was planning on searching around craigslist. just figured you guys would point me in some places i should be looking into. so far you guys have been great help.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide

Last edited by sillieidiot; 09-17-2012 at 12:59 AM.
sillieidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #24
John in VA

My Ride: '00 Farngrün 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
what's wrong with the 66 if you don't mind my asking?
It & 495 ("the Beltway") are terribly congested with the AM & PM rushes, as are most of the close-in surface roads. Some get used to it, somehow - don't think I ever could...
'86 535i
'85 535i
'85 325e - RIP
'74 2002tii
John in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #25
scott0482

My Ride: 2001 530i
Send a message via AIM to scott0482
Most of the "Group House" situations will be closer into DC, just because it is generally younger people who want access to night life and the city. But there should be plenty of stuff around.
I looked a little last night on craiglist, and typed "McLean" into the search which would be a nice easy commute for you, and found a 5 bedroom house with young professionals, driveway, hot tub, 2 car garage, etc and the rooms were something like $650 each. (They said the back yard was on Leesburg pike, so that would be within a few miles of where you are working) Most places will want a 1 year commitment though, so you may have to move into some "Fully Furnished" room with a 50 year old weirdo for a few months until you know what you are doing more permanently.
I have seen short term stuff though. It usually in the summer though when there are 2 students living in an apartment, and one leaves for the summer.

I would start looking closer in, at places where you can take alternate routes that aren't gridlocked highways. Fairfaix, Vienna, Falls Church, McLean, Great Falls.
If you don't care about traffic, and want to live cheap, then go to Manassas, or for Woodbridge if you really want to go cheap.

Last edited by scott0482; 09-17-2012 at 03:49 PM.
scott0482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #26
loayo

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
My buddy lived here. It was nice and right next to your work so basically you can avoid the commute in the most congested area around DC. To me that is worth it.

Avalon Apartments

2001///M3/PowerchipGroup/Eisenmann/Race Flow S-Pipes/AFe Stage II/AutoSolutions/ZCPs/NGK Ir/ULF/JL Audio Amp/Sub/Clutch-Stop 12.8" 1/4mi
1990 Honda Civic DX Hatch B18c1(GSR)/CAI/Greddy Exhaust/DC Sport/H&R/Suspension Techniques/Tanabe/KDWs/Pulstar/Apex Blue Pearl from 2008 S2K CR 14" 1/4mi
2002 Odyssey EX - Secret Weapon R/Pulstar/CAI 15" 1/4mi
2011 Camry V6 SE - Uper Optik 14" 1/4mi
2001 330ci Dinan S1 [Sold]
loayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #27
e46dude93

My Ride: 330i mrs.maintenance
i live in Richmond so my only input would be about the weather.. just a few things:
1. it gets cold in the winter so have a nice big coat and possibly a sled for your more immature snow days
2. it doesn't rain as much as i would think it should. in DC i feel they get the most severe rain compared to a little further south
3. people here have NO idea how to drive in the snow/rain. so best of luck to you dealing with this.

and traffic sucks in NOVA. its life.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:15 AM   #28
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by loayo View Post
My buddy lived here. It was nice and right next to your work so basically you can avoid the commute in the most congested area around DC. To me that is worth it.

Avalon Apartments
thanks. i looked at it. it seems that the rate for like shorter months go up like a lot. kind of makes it not worth it to me

Old 09-19-2012, 03:16 AM   #29
sillieidiot

cool thanks for the info. yea i was trying to live as cheap as possible. i don't mind bumper to bumper traffic. i do this everyday in CA with a manual. pretty much all i need is music. or i could drive even earlier/later to avoid the rush.

but when you guys say bad drivers, how bad is it? lol

also, do you know if there's any asian communities in the area? i was thinking of trying to rent a room from them too like i pretty much do currently

Old 09-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #30
ksuen21
CEO OF THE ROC

My Ride: 01 330ci,05 Yama R1
that area is currently going through urban rejuvination (new roads, extending the metro line, etc.) and traffic has been worst than usual lately. I used to commute from Bethesda to Tysons everyday (40 mins there, 45min-1 1/2 hrs back). If I was you, I would avoid living in MD to have to deal with the traffic.

Unless you are getting paid enough to do so, but then again.....you wouldnt be driving a 3ser

Rogue Engineering Pulleys
ECIS Intake
Stoptech Stage II Brake Kit
Short Shift Kit
6000k Fog Lights
18" Hyperblack CSLs
Clears All Around
35% Tint
ksuen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #31
FLPSIDE

My Ride: 325ci
Send a message via AIM to FLPSIDE
Alexandria!
Old 09-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #32
John in VA

My Ride: '00 Farngrün 328i
Quote:
also, do you know if there's any asian communities in the area? i was thinking of trying to rent a room from them too like i pretty much do currently
Annandale, Fairfax Circle area, Centreville.
'86 535i
'85 535i
'85 325e - RIP
'74 2002tii
John in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #33
turbo_f22_pilot

My Ride: 2 pedals - 2 paddles
^^^ What he said ! And Falls Church / Merrifield

Joy is future proof
Get your "M" on . . .
Reading is FundaM3ntal

CAR:
2003 TIAG Coupe / Blk Interior / SMG / HK Premium
MODS:
EU-CSL Coded / Macht Schnell intake / OEM CSL Wheels / OEM CSL Diffuser / Dinan Exhaust
Full LED Conversion / HID fog / Aurora AE / RE RTAB FCAB

BMWCCA NCC

Last edited by turbo_f22_pilot; 09-20-2012 at 09:48 PM.
turbo_f22_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:54 PM   #34
CiaranX

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
Any kind of Asian? Because these areas are pretty much Korean.

I'm not aware of any other Asian "enclaves" in the area.

As to bad drivers... Lol for every 5 minutes of light rain count on at least 3 accidents between you and your destination. If its snowing count on 15. Lol

No, I'm serious...

The last so called snow storm shut this place down and it wasn't even that bad. Then again, you are from Cali so ummm...

Last edited by CiaranX; 09-20-2012 at 10:58 PM.
CiaranX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #35
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
thanks i'll check those out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuen21 View Post
that area is currently going through urban rejuvination (new roads, extending the metro line, etc.) and traffic has been worst than usual lately. I used to commute from Bethesda to Tysons everyday (40 mins there, 45min-1 1/2 hrs back). If I was you, I would avoid living in MD to have to deal with the traffic.

Unless you are getting paid enough to do so, but then again.....you wouldnt be driving a 3ser

thanks for the insight.

well if i was getting paid enough, i would have a house and still drive a 3 series lol to me the house is more important than the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiaranX View Post
Any kind of Asian? Because these areas are pretty much Korean.

I'm not aware of any other Asian "enclaves" in the area.

As to bad drivers... Lol for every 5 minutes of light rain count on at least 3 accidents between you and your destination. If its snowing count on 15. Lol

No, I'm serious...

The last so called snow storm shut this place down and it wasn't even that bad. Then again, you are from Cali so ummm...
iono what kind of asians is more popular? lol well if it's viet, i would probably get a cheaper price, but i've rented from koreans/chinese and they were cool too.

lol light rain, sounds just like CA. well except it's like every other exit there's an accident. i don't have snow here though, but i'm guessing your driver's are better still lol

yea, i'm probably going to be one of those drivers that don't know how to drive in the snow. i'm totally going to need some tips lol

Old 09-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #36
MR2NoVA

My Ride: 2003 330i
are you working at bae?

if so, im actually working with them up in rockville in support solutions right now
iirc, that facility is information solutions. the area's nice, tyson's corner mall is among the top 10 largest malls in the united states, so anything you need, the mall's right down the street.
traffic can get hectic, but if you're staying in vienna, i would try commuting using back roads.

the 495 express lanes are due to open up before the year's over, so i would consider getting an ez-pass for toll roads if it's part of your commute (i don't believe it is)

i actually also work part-time at sport and health (8250 greensboro) which is in that business complex, it's a nice gym but i feel it's overpriced (wealthier crowd being members)

in terms of areas, annandale's somewhat of a jankier area in comparison to fairfax and centreville, although i don't have a problem spending time there. if you're viet, i would check out the eden center (vietnamese plaza) which isn't the nicest or cleanest, but full of vietnamese shops.

my internship at BAE in rockville's coming to a close tomorrow and im graduating this spring with a degree in IT. let me know if you come across any openings while you're there if that's where you're working. that location is ideal for me, rockville's a rough commute at the moment.

feel free to PM if you have any questions about the area
MR2NoVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #37
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
Food places:
Go to Marios Pizza House in Arlington for steak and cheese subs not Marinos not the same thing!
and El Pollo Rico in Arlington for chicken the rest are ehh...
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #38
sillieidiot

nah i'm not working at BAE, it's some other small company for java developing. right now, there's a contract issue that needs to be taken care of. I came over last week to check things out, and it doesn't seem like everything is up to par as to what was promised. the tyson's corner area is pretty nice though. lots of construction like you guys have been saying. and the weather is pretty good too. not hot like cali, but it's like cool. i came from Dulles Airport. It's a nice airport, reminds me of Denver International.

thanks for all the advice/input you guys gave me so far. i appreciate the help.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:05 AM   #39
Lividevil

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
is it cold right now? well here is the address for where I will be working for a few months: 8201 Greensboro Drive, McLean, VA 22102. I'm honestly not even sure if that is the DC area. That's what I was told.
This is really funny I read that address and realized immediately that I work off that road, except instead of being in an office building I work on a food truck (duckys grub) that parks at the intersection of solutions dr and greensboro dr. If you ever feel like trying us out we'll be there on Monday, just look for a big orange truck with a kid named Kevin (me) who just never looks like he works there since I have no uniform.

But to answer your questions, the weather here makes no sense in the least bit it can be 90 degrees then 20 degrees then back up to 90.

The main issue you will be having working in that area is the traffic, it's terrible. Try to be on the road by 2 at the latest and you should be good, anything after your doomed to stop and go for miles. You get use to it quick though, but if your car is manual like mine, it's still a pain in the butt.
Lividevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #40
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
For one, our interstates and highways are just "66", "495", "95", "7"

you can leave "the" on the west coast where it belongs, along with the term "hella".