E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 97 votes, 4.92 average.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #601
xcar360
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: BMW 318i
wow it's great
xcar360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #602
mq124

My Ride: slow and sorta low
Hey guys, I have done this retrofit on my e46 but I have a friend that would like to do it on an e90. Does anyone by chance know if the retrofit would work the same on an e90 or what differences there would be? Any help would be appreciated
Old 09-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #603
///Mostarac

My Ride: SiennaE46 & Cbr600rr
Does anyone's lights shake? I tightened mine pretty damn tight (the projector to the reflector bowl) and it still shakes with the slightest bumps. PS my car is low and on a stiff suspension, so would that be the problem?
///Mostarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #604
deadwood83

My Ride: has an iron lung
Send a message via MSN to deadwood83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mq124 View Post
Hey guys, I have done this retrofit on my e46 but I have a friend that would like to do it on an e90. Does anyone by chance know if the retrofit would work the same on an e90 or what differences there would be? Any help would be appreciated
The E90 uses the same ZKW projector parabolic reflectors from the E46 ZHP (with better plating of course, though BMW won't admit to that) for the projector models so the housing form factor should be close if not the same. I cannot guarantee the form factor of the halogen reflector bowls though. The only problem with it would be the shrouds, though I'm not sure how much of a problem that would be. You should be fairly familiar with the E46 housing, so just look at his lights. Remember, with the E46 people have problems with the reflector almost being too big, so don't panic when the E90 reflectors are smaller bowls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mostarac View Post
Does anyone's lights shake? I tightened mine pretty damn tight (the projector to the reflector bowl) and it still shakes with the slightest bumps. PS my car is low and on a stiff suspension, so would that be the problem?
Did you stiffen the solenoid springs by stretching them? Also, did you remove the H7 adapter plates? Removing the plates greatly improves stability. I've driven on a dirt road and not seen excessive shake. Also, check to see if the shake isn't just the LCM performing a hot-check of the bulb.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #605
tyusha

My Ride: 2004 325i SilverGrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano17 View Post
How is everyone going from the H1 HID to the H7 stock lighting harness?
interested in this as well!
tyusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #606
TomTomTuning

My Ride: Black Sapphire ZHP
I'm really considering this, especially after hearing the negative comments about depo's. Great thread!!!

Besides retrofit and depo, are there any other alternatives (HID/Projector/Angel Eye)?

Photos: Flickr & 500PX
TomTomTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #607
deadwood83

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyusha View Post
interested in this as well!

You don't really convert it. You need the bulbs AND ballasts bare minimum. Some cars require bulb out warning eliminators which are basically resistors.

Here's a little diagram of how they are connected. I found an old pic from way back ago (April? Pre-blower.) that shows the different components hooked up. Also, the stock high and low beam wiring harnesses are 9006. Though the stock fogs can be either H3 or 9006. Generally pre-facelift and sport-package sedans will have 9006 and post-facelift non-sport sedans will have H3. I'm not sure on the coupes.

Stock harness -> (Maybe warning eliminator) -> Ballast -> Bulb

The extra red and black wiring attached to the high beams is for the bi-xenon shutter. It's that simple to wire. DO NOT wire it like that if you have DRL's enabled though.

As for alternatives, you can retrofit different projectors in. The most popular is FX-R retrofits but that requires extensive cutting and gluing. Other than a complete housing swap, no hid option can beat the MH1 for ease of install.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #608
tyusha

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood83 View Post
You don't really convert it. You need the bulbs AND ballasts bare minimum. Some cars require bulb out warning eliminators which are basically resistors.

Here's a little diagram of how they are connected. I found an old pic from way back ago (April? Pre-blower.) that shows the different components hooked up. Also, the stock high and low beam wiring harnesses are 9006. Though the stock fogs can be either H3 or 9006. Generally pre-facelift and sport-package sedans will have 9006 and post-facelift non-sport sedans will have H3. I'm not sure on the coupes.

Stock harness -> (Maybe warning eliminator) -> Ballast -> Bulb

The extra red and black wiring attached to the high beams is for the bi-xenon shutter. It's that simple to wire. DO NOT wire it like that if you have DRL's enabled though.

As for alternatives, you can retrofit different projectors in. The most popular is FX-R retrofits but that requires extensive cutting and gluing. Other than a complete housing swap, no hid option can beat the MH1 for ease of install.
Thanks for your explanation, but i am still a little confused
So what you are saying is that we need a ballast that takes stock h7 harness and outputs h1 for the bulb in the projector? is that standard for all ballasts? i am surprised that this was not addressed before. I am pretty sure my facelift sedan halogen low beams use the H7 bulbs/harness so since we are using the H1 projectors and bulbs it raises some questions...
Old 09-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #609
///Mostarac

My Ride: SiennaE46 & Cbr600rr
Quote:

Did you stiffen the solenoid springs by stretching them? Also, did you remove the H7 adapter plates? Removing the plates greatly improves stability. I've driven on a dirt road and not seen excessive shake. Also, check to see if the shake isn't just the LCM performing a hot-check of the bulb.
I literally followed the diy word for word. As for the LCM performing a "hot-check," could you elaborate more on that?
///Mostarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #610
deadwood83

Quote:
Thanks for your explanation, but i am still a little confused
So what you are saying is that we need a ballast that takes stock h7 harness and outputs h1 for the bulb in the projector? is that standard for all ballasts? i am surprised that this was not addressed before. I am pretty sure my facelift sedan halogen low beams use the H7 bulbs/harness so since we are using the H1 projectors and bulbs it raises some questions...
The car comes with a piece that converts the 9006 to H7. It's the thing the bulb sits in.

And yes you need ballasts. It's covered in the first post under things you need. Familiarize yourself with your car's parts and suddenly DIY's will be natural and intuitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mostarac View Post
I literally followed the diy word for word. As for the LCM performing a "hot-check," could you elaborate more on that?
The car pulses voltage/amperage changes and monitors wattage draws while the bulb is on. it does this periodically throughout its operation. When this happens, without BOW eliminators it can make the bulb flicker. This can appear as shield bounce.

Last edited by deadwood83; 09-04-2012 at 10:40 PM.
deadwood83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #611
tyusha

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood83 View Post
The car comes with a piece that converts the 9006 to H7. It's the thing the bulb sits in.

And yes you need ballasts. It's covered in the first post under things you need. Familiarize yourself with your car's parts and suddenly DIY's will be natural and intuitive.
thank you for the explanation. Of course i knew that i needed ballasts. My confusion is in plugging H7 harness into an H1 ballast. Is is H7 harness same as 9006, and do all H1 ballasts accept 9006/H7 stock wiring harness? i guess i am having difficulties phrasing my question...

Thanks again!!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #612
deadwood83

Quote:
thank you for the explanation. Of course i knew that i needed ballasts. My confusion is in plugging H7 harness into an H1 ballast. Is is H7 harness same as 9006, and do all H1 ballasts accept 9006/H7 stock wiring harness? i guess i am having difficulties phrasing my question...

Thanks again!!
The factory harness is 9006. Most ballasts accept a 9006 plug since it is very common. The ballast itself does all the conversion since the power draw characteristics of an HID bulb are very different (but the ballast handles that).

Some ballasts have different plugs, but the product descriptions should tell you if it is anything different than 9006.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #613
tyusha

Perfect! That explains it all! Thanks a lot!!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #614
eosco

My Ride: 325
Just finishing up this mod. The shroud and clip for me was a bit finicky. Definitely didn't line up perfectly with the projector. Installing the projector was pretty straight forward. I found that you didn't have to remove the halogen projector bowls to install the projector. The chrome on the shroud and the halogen bowls is very easy to scratch, be careful of that. Overall a pretty simple mod, just take your time with it.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #615
tyusha

So I just did this today, and it went really well for the most part. The light pattern is really odd however. Even after adjusting the headlights, the area right in front of the car is completely dark. Not sure what to do. I don't know if this is one of those cases where the bixenon levers need to be bent a bit. Please let me know what you guys think. It looks like this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1348195461.066898.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	470189   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1348195483.532551.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	470190   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1348195526.469782.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	470191  
Old 09-20-2012, 11:08 PM   #616
deadwood83

Quote:
So I just did this today, and it went really well for the most part. The light pattern is really odd however. Even after adjusting the headlights, the area right in front of the car is completely dark. Not sure what to do. I don't know if this is one of those cases where the bixenon levers need to be bent a bit. Please let me know what you guys think. It looks like this
that's exactly what you want. The brightest lit part of the output should be right below the cutoff. If the foreground is too bright, your distance vision will be nil.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #617
tyusha

so you think this is perfect? I never had HIDs in my life so i was not certain about what to expect...
Old 09-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #618
deadwood83

Quote:
so you think this is perfect? I never had HIDs in my life so i was not certain about what to expect...
looks good! Your eyes naturally focus on the brightest lit part. So at night, a bright foreground will make seeing things further out almost impossible. The issue is compounded when the projectors are put in a car low to the ground because the foreground gets closer and closer, and subsequently brighter.

But your output looks good. Maybe play with the angles a bit though. It looks like your passenger side is slanting upwards to the right. Ideally it should be two level lines with a slanted step in the middle. This is my custom cutoff shield, so don't expect the rainbow, but notice how on either side of the step in the middle the beam pattern is parallel to the ground? That's what you want in your final adjustment.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #619
tyusha

Thank you so much for being so willing to help! I will play around with it tomorrow. Do our headlights have an angle adjustment or just up and down?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:28 PM   #620
deadwood83

Quote:
Thank you so much for being so willing to help! I will play around with it tomorrow. Do our headlights have an angle adjustment or just up and down?
up/down only. You'll have to rotate the projector in the housing.