E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #21
Busabos77

My Ride: 04 Tiag M3 E46
went to lowes and bought this today... This should do the trick... Should be enough to do the spray for the project.
Busabos77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #22
Laguna01///M3
OG PapaSmurf

My Ride: Grigio Medio E46 M3
Great work so far. Dont they make a matte top coat? I have it from Leather MAsters.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #23
braymond141

My Ride: 96 M3, 98 M3, 01 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna01///M3 View Post
Great work so far. Dont they make a matte top coat? I have it from Leather MAsters.
Leatherique does not make a Matte top coat. They only offer super gloss and even then their product is too thick and latexish to properly support a top coat (or itself). He can use a matte coat from any of the proper leather restoration sites (2-stage products) on the net and use it with the Leatherique as I demonstrated in my links. This will make the product look massively better, but does not add any additional durability.

Busa; Before you consider top coating (if you are). I encourage you to spray a leather piece that doesn't mean much to you with the Leatherique. Prep it, coat it and let it dry right. Try to make it fail after you've done all that by picking at it. You'll notice that once the product has failed it seriously comes off like plastidip on a painted body panel. The reason I'm encouraging that you do this is that you don't waste anymore money on this recolor if you aren't happy with durability.

(prepped with scotch pad like all proper 2-stage coloring systems suggest)

Last edited by braymond141; 09-19-2012 at 02:21 PM.
braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #24
Busabos77

Updates from last night... Started to use the prep agent with scotch brite pad. Cleaned with damped cloth and dried with cloth and my wife's sooopah hair dryer! LOL! Once the pieces were dry, I started to assemble the HVLP Spray Station that I bought from Lowes. It worked great and I am impressed with the way it performed. Poured the dye in the can and mixed it with a little bit of bottled water to thin the dye a little. Then I started to spray the pieces. I plan to let them sit until sunday and I will sand down the pieces with 1000 grit and then hit them again with the final dye coat. Texture is great once the dye is dry. Leather grain still shows and looks very OEMish....

FRONT DOOR PANELS DRYING FROM PREP AGENT

HVLP SPRAY

FIRST COATING

SPRAYING 2ND COAT

ALL THE PIECES WITH 2ND COAT APPLIED (DRYING)

SHOWING TEXTURE/LEATHER GRAIN

ALL THE PIECES THAT I WAS ABLE TO WORK ON LAST NIGHT

Old 09-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #25
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Brian... your project is looking AWESOME!!!! Looking forward to helping you put everything back together in a few weeks!

Love the updates!
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l Status Gruppe one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #26
Busabos77

Quote:
Originally Posted by cak323i View Post
Brian... your project is looking AWESOME!!!! Looking forward to helping you put everything back together in a few weeks!

Love the updates!
Thanks Charlie! I really appreciate you helping me take my interior apart! Well at least we now know how to do everything when we do this to your car!
Old 09-21-2012, 01:07 AM   #27
bmwm3beast

My Ride: m3
Damn wish i had local fanatics around me looking to chill in my garage and do these projects man! Badass much props....
bmwm3beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:12 AM   #28
Bimmer4Lyfe

My Ride: 02 325i
Very impressive

-j
Bimmer4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:14 AM   #29
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Good job. Just a question though, is it a bit orangish? It may just be the camera. I have the imola/black interior. Either way, it looks good.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:31 AM   #30
Redline330Ci

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330Ci
Ive tried painting some boats seats (vinyl) with the duplicolor vinyl paint and it doesnt last!! It will work on solid surfaces (like the door panels) but its a disaster on anything that flexes (like seats). You will have cracking and peeling and it will get on peoples clothes (which is embarrasing) plus it will look like crap. I hate to rain on your parade but seats will need to be replaced if you want everything to look good.

2001 BMW 330Ci with 5 speed manual
Sports Package
Premium Package
Redline330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:33 AM   #31
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline330Ci View Post
Ive tried painting some boats seats (vinyl) with the duplicolor vinyl paint and it doesnt last!! It will work on solid surfaces (like the door panels) but its a disaster on anything that flexes (like seats). You will have cracking and peeling and it will get on peoples clothes (which is embarrasing) plus it will look like crap. I hate to rain on your parade but seats will need to be replaced if you want everything to look good.
Hate to rain on your parade, but he's not using duplicolor on the leather. Read the thread.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #32
Busabos77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm3beast View Post
Damn wish i had local fanatics around me looking to chill in my garage and do these projects man! Badass much props....
***9786; thanks man! Just lucky to have some friends who are BMW enthusiasts that were willing to help me take the interior apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe View Post
Very impressive
***128077; thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Good job. Just a question though, is it a bit orangish? It may just be the camera. I have the imola/black interior. Either way, it looks good.
it might just have been the low light in my basement. It's exactly imola red in color... Camera was trying to get as much light as it can from the surroundings and I only had a fluorescent overhead light to work with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline330Ci View Post
please read my thread next time before commenting. I am not using Vinyl fabric spray on the leather parts or seats..

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Hate to rain on your parade, but he's not using duplicolor on the leather. Read the thread.
LOL!!! +1
Old 09-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #33
Busabos77

Last night, packages got delivered to my house... Black Center Console, Long Euro Tray, Rear tray, small clips and the black Carpet. I ordered the parts from ECS Tuning and the black carpet from Asmod3us... I did the final coat for the door panel inserts, started on the rear seat, rear headrests and bolsters. Did 1 coat of dye for the rear seat, bolsters and rear head rests. This morning, before going back to work, I applied the 2nd coat to them to let them dry until I come home tonight to do the 3rd coat. I was also able to shampoo the carpet with a help of my friend that works in a car wash. He was able to wash and clean the carpets and vacuum them last night.

ECS TUNING PACKAGE

CENTER CONSOLE (ARM REST DELETE) / LONG EURO TRAY / REAR TRAY / CLIPS

BLACK CARPET (NOT CLEANED YET)

STARTED ON THE PIPINGS WITH A FOAM BRUSH

FIRST COAT

DOOR PANEL INSERTS DRYING

2ND COAT

SHE IS PATIENTLY WAITING...

Last edited by Busabos77; 09-25-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #34
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
this forum still has hope! Thanks for keeping the E46 community alive!
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #35
KaliVertBoy

My Ride: M3 Vert 6MT
Lookin good brotha
KaliVertBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #36
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Glad we could help you out! I can't wait to see the final outcome of the dye job!

James

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #37
Busabos77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3 View Post
this forum still has hope! Thanks for keeping the E46 community alive!
You got it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliVertBoy View Post
Lookin good brotha
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
Glad we could help you out! I can't wait to see the final outcome of the dye job!

James
Thanks for the quick and accurate delivery!
Old 09-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #38
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Brian,

You've done a spectacular job so far! Can't wait to see this in person bro!!!
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l Status Gruppe one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #39
Busabos77

Quote:
Originally Posted by cak323i View Post
Brian,

You've done a spectacular job so far! Can't wait to see this in person bro!!!
thanks sir charlie!
Old 09-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #40
Busabos77

Carpet washed and cleaned...