E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
Fern2899

My Ride: 2003 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to Fern2899
Why do people!!!

I don't understand when people's birth name is Richard, why do they like to use the name "dick" for short??? Really you guys don't see that strange? I have a customer and its kinda funny.. His name is dick sackler.. Well real name is Richard but he like to go by the name dick.. I don't know doesn't make sense to me.. Please fill me in on you oppinions!!
Old 09-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
E36Eric

My Ride: E36
Send a message via AIM to E36Eric
There's a doctor in my area named Richard Poon.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Dick Sack
Dick Poon

These are funny.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
Suck my Richard.

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
Fern2899

My Ride: 2003 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to Fern2899
Does his middle name start with an "N" hi, I'm dick n. poon... Haha too funny cause my customer I mention is a doctor as well
Old 09-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
andrewrossnagel

My Ride: .
i was in finish line about 2 months ago and their was a shirt that said " dont be a richard"
andrewrossnagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
eee4666

My Ride: '02 325i / '07 600RR
The name Richard is thought by most etymologists to derive from the Proto-Germanic 'Rikharthu', meaning more or less "hard ruler" ('Rik-' meaning 'ruler' and '-harthu' meaning 'hard***8217. This was adopted into Old High German as 'Ricohard', and from there to Old French, then Old English as 'Richeard', and today as 'Richard'.
You might think from Richard meaning "hard ruler" and being a man's name that Dick being a nickname for Richard probably came about for pejorative reasons, borrowing from one of the other meanings of "dick", such as 'dick' as in 'jerk' or 'dick as in 'penis'. However, the first record of 'dick' meaning 'jerk' didn't come about until a few hundred years after its association with Richard and the first record of it referring to a penis wasn't until the 1890s, as a British army slang term. Exactly how that latter meaning came about isn't known, being a slang term that was considered somewhat uncouth to put on paper. Because of that, 'dick' meaning 'penis' probably had been around a while before the 1890s, but not nearly long enough before to have contributed to the Richard/Dick connection.
How Dick became a nickname for Richard is known and is one of those "knee bone connected to the thigh bone" type progressions, somewhat similar to how the word 'soccer' came about. Due to people having to write everything by hand, shortened versions of Richard were common, such as 'Ric' or 'Rich'. This in turn gave rise to nicknames like 'Richie', 'Rick', and 'Ricket', among others. People also used to like to use rhyming names; thus, someone who was nicknamed Rich might further be nicknamed Hitch. Thus, Richard -> Ric -> Rick gave rise to nicknames like Dick and Hick around the early 13th century.
While few today call Richards 'Hick', the nickname 'Dick' has stuck around, and of course has come to mean many other things as well. Its persistence as associated with Richard is probably in part because around the 16th century Dick started to be synonymous with 'man', 'lad', or 'fellow', sort of a general name for any 'Tom, Dick, or Francis" (which by the way appears in Shakespeare's Henry IV, written in the late 16th century, with Dick at this point firmly established as an "every man" name). It may well be that this association with 'man' is in turn how 'dick' eventually came to mean 'penis'.

Read more at http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....UUHLfiMHfKQ.99

- www.google.com

Last edited by eee4666; 09-21-2012 at 03:27 PM.
eee4666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
k2spitfire
Banned User

My Ride: cosmos M3
lol, if you have a common asian last name and your first name is richard, you'd label all your sh1t "dick lee's"
k2spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
Levim9

My Ride: S54 325i
lol Dick Sackler.. I never understood why Dick is short for Richard either. I have a customer named Richard Horny and he likes to be called Dick!

Slicktop - S54 - 6MT - 3.62 LSD - Active Tuned - JVT Headers - TMS Tracksport Coils - Hotchkis M3 Swaybars
Levim9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
I have a much funnier story regarding this particular name, but it's personal so only people I know or meet in person get to hear it. Sorry.
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #11
Bimmer4Lyfe

My Ride: 02 325i
had a guy at work who insisted on being called Dick...
he was a co- supervisor.

he was kinda hard on his employees at first...
but then it was found that he was just a big softy.

one time I loaned him some money for lunch... and he stiffed me.

never forget the time he yelled at the production manager, I give 'em this much... he had balls!

we worked at night time... and he was getting older so, sometimes he had to take pills to stay up...

funniest part of this story is; it's true

-j
Bimmer4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #12
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness
Dick sackler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraisil View Post
I have a much funnier story regarding this particular name, but it's personal so only people I know or meet in person get to hear it. Sorry.

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #13
daedalus34r

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
richard ~> dick
william ~> bill

never really understood this myself
daedalus34r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #14
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
I once worked on a deal where the attorney on the other side had the last name of "Merkin". Every time he was being abusive, I would just think to myself "ha, well at least I'm not a merkin!" and laugh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkin

"Merkin (first use 1617) is a pubic wig. Merkins were originally worn by prostitutes after shaving their genitalia, and are now used as decorative items, erotic devices, or in films, by both men and women."
brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #15
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
My father law goes by Dick..

Sent from my damn phone
Old 09-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #16
guest1008
Banned User

My Ride: 08 Lexus ES350
How old is this guy?

For those above a certain age, dick was never really used as a reference to a penis. So, to them, it's no different then any other normal nickname. I had a boss who insisted on being called Dick. Again, he was older. Dad or grandpa age to most people on this board.
guest1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #17
Levim9

My Ride: S54 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
How old is this guy?

For those above a certain age, dick was never really used as a reference to a penis. So, to them, it's no different then any other normal nickname. I had a boss who insisted on being called Dick. Again, he was older. Dad or grandpa age to most people on this board.
It's not that we're referring the name Dick to a penis, although Dick Sackler in combination is kind of funny. We just don't understand why Dick is short for Richard. Rich makes sense but Dick doesn't sound similar.

Slicktop - S54 - 6MT - 3.62 LSD - Active Tuned - JVT Headers - TMS Tracksport Coils - Hotchkis M3 Swaybars
Levim9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #18
guest1008
Banned User

My Ride: 08 Lexus ES350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black E46 sedan View Post
It's not that we're referring the name Dick to a penis, although Dick Sackler in combination is kind of funny. We just don't understand why Dick is short for Richard. Rich makes sense but Dick doesn't sound similar.
Yeah, why it's Dick and not Rich is weird. Kinda like how another poster mentioned William and Bill.

And yeah, there are some weird combinations out there. Still, I'm not sure that's where OP was exactly going with this. It sounds like he's accepted that Dick is short for Richard, but why someone would willingly go along with being called Dick.
guest1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #19
nardog

My Ride: e34, totaled e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus34r View Post
richard ~> dick
william ~> bill

never really understood this myself
Also

Robert > Bob
Old 09-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #20
CJPatel

My Ride: E92 335, F430 Spider
My gym teacher in High School was named Andy Dick, so on my schedule it came up as A. Dick. And his wife's name was Anita, my english teacher. Anita Dick

Edit or was it Tara.... hmmm its been a while

DD -
2009 E92 335i M-Sport 6spd - JB4, ZCPs, M3 Lip Spoiler
Weekend -
Ferrari F430 Spider - F1

Gone: 2008 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Stratus White/Bitter Chocolate, coupe w/ Aston Martin Powerpack and Quicksilver exhaust
Gone: 2003.5 Mystic Blue M3 6spd :(
CJPatel is offline   Reply With Quote