E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #21
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
You replaced the sensor that tells the fan to turn on (irrelevant) and the one that tells the car the temp of the air intake charge (also irrelevant).

What you need to replace is the coolant temp sensor which is mounted on the head between the valve cover and the fuel rail.

PN: 13621433076
Item #3: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...=11&fg=15&hl=7

The DME is not the problem, please don't mess with it or pay anyone to reprogram it.

Also, when you say they say the DME is the problem, who is they?

Last edited by SamDoe1; 09-13-2012 at 08:51 AM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #22
studjon006

My Ride: 2001 330xi
^^^ sorry when i said the sensor under the intake manifold i was talking about the coolant temp sensor that is on the head under the manifold back by cylinder 6. and im trying to find the place which talked about the DME needing to be updated by the dealer for this problem.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #23
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by studjon006 View Post
^^^ sorry when i said the sensor under the intake manifold i was talking about the coolant temp sensor that is on the head under the manifold back by cylinder 6. and im trying to find the place which talked about the DME needing to be updated by the dealer for this problem.
Can you get an OBD2 scanner and read out the actual temp reading? Maybe the replacement sensor was bad?

I really don't think the DME would just randomly give you false readings without other things going wrong at the same time.

Are you sure the car is, in fact, not overheating at all?

Last edited by SamDoe1; 09-13-2012 at 02:52 PM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #24
studjon006

so i just got off the phone with bmw and they said that its a good possibility that it would be the DME. its only 95 bucks for them to update it to the newest software they have so im going to try it out on tuesday and see what happens.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #25
studjon006

i did the obc reading of the temperature while this was happening on the freeway the temp would usually stay around 93 degrees C and then when it would slam over to the red the temp reading would say -125 for 1 full second and right when the needle would start going back to normal it would skip from -125 to saying 93 again even before it got back to the normal range.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:36 AM   #26
studjon006

So I found some good info on an m5 board where people are having the exact same problem that I have and have said the dme update fixed it.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...-goes-max.html

Appointment set for Tuesday. Will let you know how it goes.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #27
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Man, I hate phantom problems where you install related parts yet it never goes away. It's like okay, okay, things are looking good and then BAM, the haunt greets you but again. Grrrrrr!!

The history suggests the seller is either a bold liar or may not have noticed the intermittent needle spikes. Perhaps the "death" lamp doesn't come on when she peaks and he flat missed it? The dealer info. clearly suggests this symptom was something someone has been chasing. I hope the flash makes this monster go away. Good luck!!
Old 09-22-2012, 12:14 AM   #28
studjon006

IT'S FIXED. It is now Friday night and had the dme updated by bmw on Tuesday and it hasn't happens even once. Used to happen several times a day. No check engine light or anything. Thanks for all the responses and help.

Tags
330, gauge, overheating, temp, thermostat