E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:35 AM   #1421
_.dstrukt.n1ne
libtorrent 0.13.3

My Ride: AC Schnitzer E46
BTW, the best way to transfer your sheit is to sync your old iDevice to iCloud and then restore via iCloud on your new iDevice.

That way you get all your apps in the same position, along with your settings, sms, contacts, photos, etc.

Much better than backing up onto computer and then restoring on computer.

Unless it's a new iOS 6.0 thing...?

Oregon, USA

2000 323i | Brembo | Technik | HRE | Toyo | Meguiar's | AC Schnitzer | Alpine | Alumapro | H&R| Porsche | ASA | MOMO | Rogue Engineering | Rennsport | Hamann | Supersprint

_.dstrukt.n1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:40 AM   #1422
Tauce says

My Ride: is imola
Just FYI, that jailbreak that chpwn is doing requires a developer certificate and some code that's not legal to distribute. It doesn't mean that an iPhone 5 jailbreak is coming soon.
Tauce says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:45 AM   #1423
_.dstrukt.n1ne
libtorrent 0.13.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by _.dstrukt.n1ne View Post
If it was like the 4S, it might take as long as a few months. They need to clean up the code before they release it to the public.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauce says View Post
Just FYI, that jailbreak that chpwn is doing requires a developer certificate and some code that's not legal to distribute. It doesn't mean that an iPhone 5 jailbreak is coming soon.
Yep.

Oregon, USA

2000 323i | Brembo | Technik | HRE | Toyo | Meguiar's | AC Schnitzer | Alpine | Alumapro | H&R| Porsche | ASA | MOMO | Rogue Engineering | Rennsport | Hamann | Supersprint

Old 09-22-2012, 01:29 AM   #1424
alphawhiskey

My Ride: Foxtrot
Got one today from the Apple store.

First impressions:

It looks great, and while I thought the thinness wouldn't be significant, it actually does make a dramatic difference.

The phone is lighter, but it makes it feel cheaper imo compared to the 4s (which always impressed me when I picked it up).

The screen is gorgeous, but looks comically small coming from a Galaxy Nexus. Had they made this a 4.5+ with a little more width, or just a 720p screen, this would have been perfect for me personally.

The os is incredibly stale, but it is just so much more precise and reliable compared to my old nexus.

Did I mention a gorgeous screen?

Missing some quickshare features like being able to upload to dropbox from the gallery, but a very capable (stale) os overall. I understand why people keep coming back despite being virtually the same platform since 2007.

Camera is increadibly fast.

LTE is fast (20 down and 20 up in LA, CA); and so is wifi. The whole phone is incredibly snappy (much more so than my galaxy nexus or ANY device I have ever used). Web pages load as fast if not faster than my MBP.

Battery drained pretty quickly for me, but I was downloading apps, setting up, playign with nav, etc. It was an abnormally heavy day. I will see whats up tomorrow.

In sum: this is your go-to phone if you don't mind boring. It gets things done right the first time around without messing around. You won't have the customization that you have with Android, but you will almost never find yourself pressing buttons 3 times to get something done. You just message, browse, call, etc. quickly and efficiently, but without any flash.

For me PERSONALLY: if they made the screen larger and wider, had data/voice siimultaneously, and free tether, this would be THE perfect phone. I would definitely turn my back to ROMS and all the customization without second thought.

Last edited by alphawhiskey; 09-22-2012 at 01:33 AM.
alphawhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:33 AM   #1425
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Yeah got it yesterday around 7pm... I was basically convinced I wouldn't see it till October, was having a beer with a buddy when my 4 buzzed for an email. Looked at it, smiled, drank another beer

Haven't even turned it on yet.. figure i'll get to it at some point tomorrow.
U sound like u won the lottery. Dude u got a phone that 7 million of us have.

It's a phone that's a little taller.

I like it don't get me wrong but brah... Chill out

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:58 AM   #1426
E36Eric

My Ride: E36
Send a message via AIM to E36Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawhiskey View Post
Got one today from the Apple store.

First impressions:

It looks great, and while I thought the thinness wouldn't be significant, it actually does make a dramatic difference.

The phone is lighter, but it makes it feel cheaper imo compared to the 4s (which always impressed me when I picked it up).

The screen is gorgeous, but looks comically small coming from a Galaxy Nexus. Had they made this a 4.5+ with a little more width, or just a 720p screen, this would have been perfect for me personally.

The os is incredibly stale, but it is just so much more precise and reliable compared to my old nexus.

Did I mention a gorgeous screen?

Missing some quickshare features like being able to upload to dropbox from the gallery, but a very capable (stale) os overall. I understand why people keep coming back despite being virtually the same platform since 2007.

Camera is increadibly fast.

LTE is fast (20 down and 20 up in LA, CA); and so is wifi. The whole phone is incredibly snappy (much more so than my galaxy nexus or ANY device I have ever used). Web pages load as fast if not faster than my MBP.

Battery drained pretty quickly for me, but I was downloading apps, setting up, playign with nav, etc. It was an abnormally heavy day. I will see whats up tomorrow.

In sum: this is your go-to phone if you don't mind boring. It gets things done right the first time around without messing around. You won't have the customization that you have with Android, but you will almost never find yourself pressing buttons 3 times to get something done. You just message, browse, call, etc. quickly and efficiently, but without any flash.

For me PERSONALLY: if they made the screen larger and wider, had data/voice siimultaneously, and free tether, this would be THE perfect phone. I would definitely turn my back to ROMS and all the customization without second thought.
It sounds like you should have bought the gs3. Better than the nexus and it's snappy with the 2gb ram. It can do data and voice simultaneously. Free tether too without rooting it.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:05 AM   #1427
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
U sound like u won the lottery. Dude u got a phone that 7 million of us have.

It's a phone that's a little taller.

I like it don't get me wrong but brah... Chill out
if i could buy you a beer over the internet, cheers

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:07 AM   #1428
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five_seveN View Post
if i could buy you a beer over the internet, cheers
Just buy him a fleshlight.

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:10 AM   #1429
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
Just buy him a fleshlight.

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:28 AM   #1430
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by _.dstrukt.n1ne View Post
Poppycock

I really hope it does pan out. I'll owe a donation to the wonderful fellows behind such wizardry.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:28 AM   #1431
Erikx559

My Ride: 2002 325i
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1348295294.857078.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	470358

Edit: forgot to add. It's the U.S version. Only dual core. Like e36eric pointed out, os matters when testing.

Last edited by Erikx559; 09-22-2012 at 02:47 AM.
Erikx559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:37 AM   #1432
_.dstrukt.n1ne
libtorrent 0.13.3

Quick video I made.

iPhone 5 vs iPhone 4 data speeds on Cellular network.

Oregon, USA

Last edited by _.dstrukt.n1ne; 09-22-2012 at 02:39 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:42 AM   #1433
E36Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikx559 View Post
Here's the article to back up your picture.

Quote:
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/09/gee...ats-galaxy-s3/

It is rather interesting that the OS running on a given handset significantly affects Geekbench tests. For instance, while a Galaxy S3 running Ice Cream Sandwich scores lower than iPhone 5, one running Jelly Bean beats the iPhone 5.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:52 AM   #1434
E36Eric

I'm wondering, why are a lot of people doing a comparison of speed test between 3g and LTE? That's like doing a quarter mile between your 325 and your new M3.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:58 AM   #1435
_.dstrukt.n1ne
libtorrent 0.13.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36Eric View Post
I'm wondering, why are a lot of people doing a comparison of speed test between 3g and LTE? That's like doing a quarter mile between your 325 and your new M3.
Are they? And here I thought I was being original.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

Oregon, USA

Old 09-22-2012, 03:01 AM   #1436
Tauce says

Quote:
I'd agree but most people don't know how fast their 3G connection is so you need some basis for comparison.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:01 AM   #1437
Erikx559

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Here's the article to back up your picture.
Thanks. Didn't know that. I wast just watching videos and thought it was interesting considering the specs.
Erikx559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:21 AM   #1438
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Can someone tell me why there is a need for a larger screen? It seems odd that people want to go back to what a freakin Palm Pilot or PDA looked like.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:21 AM   #1439
Tauce says

Here's an article that shows the iPhone smoking everything else over and over
Old 09-22-2012, 03:34 AM   #1440
KOpower

My Ride: 325ci
Wish iPhone 5 had a bigger screen

AND/OR

the S3 didn't have annoying software -

Imperfect world I tell you

Steep learning curve for android over the last year - hopefully their software will be awesome in a years time

My Ride:
2002 e46 325ci Manual - Sport & Premium Pkg
KOpower is offline   Reply With Quote