E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #101
turbo diesel

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterC17 View Post
SAP Delete Bracket is being ordered from Germany, should see it by the end of next week.
Quote:
Just need to do the SAP Simulator
Curious to know more about the SAP delete bracket and the simulator as this is the first I have heard of either so any pics and info you can share is appreciated.
turbo diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #102
MasterC17

My Ride: hates A/C & Sunroofs
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo diesel View Post
Curious to know more about the SAP delete bracket and the simulator as this is the first I have heard of either so any pics and info you can share is appreciated.
Part Number: 11121438086

Simulator: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=828355
MasterC17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #103
turbo diesel

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Part Number: 11121438086
Oh its just the block off plate... I misunderstood and thought it was a bracket to hold the coolant overflow without the SAP. That bracket weighs almost as much as the SAP system IIRC.
Quote:
Now that is good stuff! Does it work reliably or is it a crap shoot like O2 simulators?
turbo diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:55 AM   #104
MasterC17

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo diesel View Post
Oh its just the block off plate... I misunderstood and thought it was a bracket to hold the coolant overflow without the SAP. That bracket weighs almost as much as the SAP system IIRC.

Now that is good stuff! Does it work reliably or is it a crap shoot like O2 simulators?
Works great! Basically, when the SAP Sim is "running" you send a signal to the O2 sensors that it would expect if the SAP were actually running. When the SAP Sim "turns off" the signal returns to normal as it should. You use the SAP Power to power the Sim as well.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #105
MasterC17

Got my $700 alignment today

Specs are as follows:

Ride Height:

FL: 14 1/8
FR: 14 1/8
LR: 14
RR: 14

Corner Balancing:

FL: 865
FR: 838
LR: 770
RR: 748

Alignment:

Front:
Camber: -3.2 Deg
Caster: 6.8 Deg
Toe: 0.00

Rear:
Camber: -2.2 Deg
Toe: .30 Deg(3/6" Total)

Total Weight ((Wet) No Driver/No Fuel): 2,980lbs

Last edited by MasterC17; 06-28-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #106
MasterC17

Well Lime Rock was a bit of a bust. I only got to drive 2 of the 4 sessions because my car was too loud. Once the sound guy figured out I knew where he was and he started moving around I was all done

I didn't even really push the car, but it DEFINITELY felt a million times better with the new suspension. Every lap I would give it a little bit more, and it would cooperate without any issue. Felt amazing. Amazing feeling quickly ended though, just as I got in a groove they kicked me out. Oh well. Obligatory pics!

P.S. A video from Watkins Glen:

Old 07-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #107
Tarmac_E46_M3

My Ride: 2003 M3
That's too bad, at least the car felt good.

Too loud?! Really... What's your setup? What do you plan on doing to quiet it down?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer App
Current: 1969 Ford Mustang; 351w; Champion 4 row alu rad; Edelbrock Intake Manifold; Holley 600 CFM Carb; Cragar Wheels; 215/60-15 f, 255/60-15 r; Doug Tri-Y Headers; Dual Side Exit w/Xpipe; MSD 6AL; Electric Fuel Pump; U/D Pulley Set; Monte Carlo Bar.

SOLD: :( E46 M3 SMG; Evolve-R Tune; much, much more... 2980 lbs.

Home biz info: www.HelpMeFightTheForcesOfEvil.com
Tarmac_E46_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #108
MasterC17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac_E46_M3 View Post
That's too bad, at least the car felt good.

Too loud?! Really... What's your setup? What do you plan on doing to quiet it down?

Currently, I'm running the "Top Speed" muffler. Yes, it is obnoxiously loud - that's why I love it! For the amount of time I drive the car on the street I don't mind it at all, it provides more laughs than anything. I though it might be too loud for Lime Rock (their dB limit is only 86) and it was actually WAY too loud (96 dB). I already bought four "muffler tips" which attach to the tips on the exhaust and muffle the sound (they're about 5" long each). I'll just bring them with me and attach them when I need them. Honestly though, I don't expect any other track to have a problem with the noise.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #109
Tarmac_E46_M3

Ah, ok. That's loud, but not "crazy" loud. Like a BW exhaust, Haha. Any sound clips with the muffler tips and without?

Current: 1969 Ford Mustang; 351w; Champion 4 row alu rad; Edelbrock Intake Manifold; Holley 600 CFM Carb; Cragar Wheels; 215/60-15 f, 255/60-15 r; Doug Tri-Y Headers; Dual Side Exit w/Xpipe; MSD 6AL; Electric Fuel Pump; U/D Pulley Set; Monte Carlo Bar.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #110
MasterC17

Well, this project has been put to the backburner a bit yet again. Just bought an E60 M5 and the E34 LeMons car just received new fuel lines and now working on the brake lines. Next event is August 17 w/ SCDA @ NHMS. Will have some updates before then.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #111
MasterC17

Well, NHMS went pretty well. I dual-drove the car with one of my friends and the car ran perfect without issue. I did almost go flying into the wall on the front straight leading out of turn 12 after a Mustang in front of me dropped coolant all over the track. One second I was going straight the next I was aimed at the wall - luckily I was able to bring the car back, but it shook me up. At the end of the day my lap times were the same as when I went there in May, but I wasn't pushing the car hard at all like I was in May, so there is certainly much more left. New pads and rotors going on soon and next event is Labor Day weekend at Watkins Glen. I finished the front splitter made of Lexan and attached the Bimmerworld Dive Planes. The rear wing is going to need adjustments made to it now and a rear diffuser is going in soon. Pictures below - and one of the M5.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #112
E RaK

My Ride: 2001 325xit
Very nice build! What kind of times were you running at NHMS? My uncle runs a Spec Racer Ford in SCCA there once in a while.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:29 AM   #113
MasterC17

Quote:
Originally Posted by E RaK View Post
Very nice build! What kind of times were you running at NHMS? My uncle runs a Spec Racer Ford in SCCA there once in a while.
1:24 was my best this time and back in May. However, there is certainly much more left in the car now, so I think a 1:20 is possible if I get into a groove. I wasn't even squealing the tires this time
Old 08-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #114
Tarmac_E46_M3

Nice update! Looking forward to more updates on the races. Like you said, seems like you have more to.squeeze out if the tires weren't even talking back.

Both cars are sexy!

Last edited by Tarmac_E46_M3; 08-20-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #115
E RaK

My Ride: 2001 325xit
Quote:
1:24 was my best this time and back in May. However, there is certainly much more left in the car now, so I think a 1:20 is possible if I get into a groove. I wasn't even squealing the tires this time
Surely you can get it faster than that with practice! A spec Miata runs about a 1:20 around there if you were running the oval in 1 and 2! It's hard to get used to the speeds involved and the braking distances
Old 09-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #116
zanga254

My Ride: 2002 325xi ZPP
Send a message via Skype™ to zanga254
Subbed for inspiration. Great car man.
zanga254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #117
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
updates?
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #118
MasterC17

Unfortunately, no updates to this project. To be honest, the car has just been sitting for the last two months. Too busy working on the LeMons car which we finally finished up Friday night before the event. The weekend went really well, save a belt snapping and a tie rod assembly nut backing off. At the end of the day we ended in 55th of about 120 cars, finished the race (with next to no fuel left), and I ran the 12th fastest lap of all the teams. I also passed Will Turner in his Sweetish Fish car, who passed me back, and then proceeded to launch a caliper bracket at my windshield after the left rear caliper exploded. He went off track but fortunately was OK. For the first time for our team, and considering that none of us had actual race experience, I am very happy with how it went. Next year, with a few minor tweaks, an actual strategy, and no belts snapping, I think we have a damn good shot of winning it. Plus, it looks great!

Old 11-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #119
MasterC17

Heater core is out! And so is pretty much everything else on the inside of the car. I have a spare body wiring harness I'm beginning to disect to reduce weight, already down to 51.2lbs from 52.8! May also do engine wiring harness but we'll see. Starting to clean up the engine bay a little further as well. I haven't actually weighed anything yet, but based on what I know I think I've pulled about 125lbs by now, brining us down to right around 2875lbs. 2700 is not far off! That combined with power mods (should bring us to 375hp+ crank), and this car will be a lot of fun!

Old 12-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #120
MasterC17

Got some more work done today, and lots of things ordered over the last few weeks. The car is up on jack stands, brakes are completely off, the exhaust is out, my custom Lexan quarter window fit so I'm making the other side now, etc. Now I need to take apart the whole front of the car, drop the front and rear subframes, pull the diff, driveshaft, etc. and pull the wiring harness. There won't be much left.

Bimmerworld:
Front Brake Backing Plates
Titanium Thermal Barrier Plates (F+R)
Front Subframe Reinforcement
Rear Subframe Reinforcement
Aluminum Subframe Bushings
Silicone Intake Throttle Boot
Soild Engine/Transmission Mounts
Race Bulletnose Studs
12mm Spacers (Rear)
Solid Differential Mounts
C&R Oil Cooler