E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
NFA Talk

Thought it might be nice to create a thread specifically devoted to NFA questions and issues. I know I've created loads of threads regarding my own stuff and ask loads of dumb questions, but this might be a nice thread to keep all that sort of discussion in one place.

For the sake of being productive, here are some links to common ATF NFA Forms.

Form 1 --> Application to Make a Firearm

Form 4 --> Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm

Form 20 --> Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain NFA Firearms

Certification of Compliance

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...072&highlight=

Slacker, you even posted in it.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
He's trying to steal your ideas.

Onto NFA talk though whats on everyones shortlist for NFA items:

1. When my seekins lower comes in I will have it engraved to be an SBR.
2. When I get my PS90 engrave it and form 1 it.
3. 556/762 Can
4. 9mm can

Long List:
Draco SBR
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
david05111

Quote:
Oh God...that's a serious on my part. Why the hell do we never use that thread??!

Thinking about having this one closed...but for the hell of it, expanding on your idea Adam.

1) Pay off and take delivery of the M16
2) Profit?

Actually have no idea what I want at this point, as far as NFA is concerned. My latest Form 1 is in for approval, but won't be set til feb/march. The SDN6 will be sweet, but I won't get that til then either. The only other stuff I can think of are more machine guns, more specifically an MP40 or an MP5. But seeing as one would cost me at least $10,000 and the other upwards of $30,000, I don't see either happening very soon, if ever. At the moment, I'm sorta NFA'd out, aside from uppers and stuff.

Last edited by david05111; 09-22-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Oh God...that's a serious on my part. Why the hell do we never use that thread??!

Thinking about having this one closed...but for the hell of it, expanding on your idea Adam.

1) Pay off and take delivery of the M16
2) Profit?

Actually have no idea what I want at this point, as far as NFA is concerned. My latest Form 1 is in for approval, but won't be set til feb/march. The SDN6 will be sweet, but I won't get that til then either. The only other stuff I can think of are more machine guns, more specifically an MP40 or an MP5. But seeing as one would cost me at least $10,000 and the other upwards of $30,000, I don't see either happening very soon, if ever. At the moment, I'm sorta NFA'd out, aside from uppers and stuff.
I can see you picking up one of these would look real nice next to that benelli

Old 09-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
david05111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
I can see you picking up one of these would look real nice next to that benelli

Tromix Saiga?

Funny thing is that my buddy is on the trust as well; he's a co-trustee. He is obsessed with shotguns and has a Saiga right now that he plans to Form 1 and have cut or modified. He was super jealous when he found out I bought the Benelli, though he doesn't really have any right to be. He hasn't added anything to the trust yet haha; so far, its been all me!

He might be picking up a LWRC PSD, Mini 7, a Striker Shotgun, and a Street Sweeper Shotgun soon though...I think the last two are actually AOWs with a $5 stamp.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Tromix Saiga?

Funny thing is that my buddy is on the trust as well; he's a co-trustee. He is obsessed with shotguns and has a Saiga right now that he plans to Form 1 and have cut or modified. He was super jealous when he found out I bought the Benelli, though he doesn't really have any right to be. He hasn't added anything to the trust yet haha; so far, its been all me!

He might be picking up a LWRC PSD, Mini 7, a Striker Shotgun, and a Street Sweeper Shotgun soon though...I think the last two are actually AOWs with a $5 stamp.
Shottys are fun. the PSD is a nice little toy...local shop had 1 I was playing with before.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
david05111

Quote:
Shottys are fun. the PSD is a nice little toy...local shop had 1 I was playing with before.
See I don't see the appeal of something that short in 5.56 personally...maybe in 6.8, but I'd never get into that caliber myself.

I just the effectiveness of the 5.56 round is fairly terrible at that length. Now, if the PSD came in 300 blackout, then things might be different for me at least. I know that Noveske makes an 8 inch upper in that...

Old 09-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #9
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
8" barrels for 5.56 certainly isn't optimal, but there are certain loads that work quite well with it. Your range is just heavily limited with them.
Heavy loads actually tend to do better. The Mk262 77gr OTM loads work very well because they will yaw easily. The best option is actually going to a Barnes TSX bullet. The 70gr TSX is designed to optimally expand all the way down to 1800fps, but they'll come out of an 8" barrel at around 2100-2250fps or so. 45gr and 50gr TSX bullets will be much faster, and still perform well. Short of those loads though, an 8" barrel is not good for much for actual offensive/duty use. They're fun to shoot, though. But holy shit do they have a lot of concussion.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 09-23-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
david05111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
8" barrels for 5.56 certainly isn't optimal, but there are certain loads that work quite well with it. Your range is just heavily limited with them.
Heavy loads actually tend to do better. The Mk262 77gr OTM loads work very well because they will yaw easily. The best option is actually going to a Barnes TSX bullet. The 70gr TSX is designed to optimally expand all the way down to 1800fps, but they'll come out of an 8" barrel at around 2100-2250fps or so. 45gr and 50gr TSX bullets will be much faster, and still perform well. Short of those loads though, an 8" barrel is not good for much for actual offensive/duty use. They're fun to shoot, though. But holy shit do they have a lot of concussion.
Interesting...I figured there was some load that might be effetive. I'm just not convinced something that short is for me though.

And yeah, my 12.5 with the brake is crazy concussive. I imagine that an 8 inch barrel is just nuts. The thing that gets me is: how in the world do people who might actually have to use these things in combat deal with the noise, flash, and concussion? I mean, for instance, the PSD stands for Personal Self Defense I think...might be wrong about that. Regardless, these things AR supposed to be used by private security forces, etc. for close proximity protection of ViPs. I doubt that these guys wear hearing protection on duty...these things must be so disorienting and painful to shoot in those conditions

Old 09-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I

tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
david05111

Question about a Form 20 (application to temporarily export or travel with nfa weapons).

One part of the form asks for "mode of transportation." Now, I'm applying for this thing for a year to a friend's place in Virginia. It says I have to provide the name and address of the common carrier if I use one.

How in the hell am I supposed to be able to provide that information? If I don't know precisely when I'll be traveling, how can I tell them what airline I might use. Maybe I'll use Jetblue the first time and Delta the next. That's an absurd question.

I could just put Automobile and be done with it, but I know for a fact that I'll not always want to take the car and might just want to take off for the weekend by plane. Surely there must be some way of satisfying the box without limiting my options that way? I was going to try "Automobile or Commercial Airline to be determined" but I doubt they'll approve that.

If no one has a clue, I guess I'll call the NFA hotline tomorrow and ask about it. Surely there must be some way around this...

Old 10-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #13
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Question about a Form 20 (application to temporarily export or travel with nfa weapons).

One part of the form asks for "mode of transportation." Now, I'm applying for this thing for a year to a friend's place in Virginia. It says I have to provide the name and address of the common carrier if I use one.

How in the hell am I supposed to be able to provide that information? If I don't know precisely when I'll be traveling, how can I tell them what airline I might use. Maybe I'll use Jetblue the first time and Delta the next. That's an absurd question.

I could just put Automobile and be done with it, but I know for a fact that I'll not always want to take the car and might just want to take off for the weekend by plane. Surely there must be some way of satisfying the box without limiting my options that way? I was going to try "Automobile or Commercial Airline to be determined" but I doubt they'll approve that.

If no one has a clue, I guess I'll call the NFA hotline tomorrow and ask about it. Surely there must be some way around this...
I know somebody on the local forum put down "car, personal gyrocopter, or motorscooter"

But another person commented and said they always put and have no problems with:
"Personally Owned Conveyance", is what I normally put.

That way anything for the mode of transportation will be covered (Boat/Vehicle/Motorcycle/Plane/Bicycle/Hiking).

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=90224
Old 10-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
david05111

Quote:
I know somebody on the local forum put down "car, personal gyrocopter, or motorscooter"

But another person commented and said they always put and have no problems with:
"Personally Owned Conveyance", is what I normally put.

That way anything for the mode of transportation will be covered (Boat/Vehicle/Motorcycle/Plane/Bicycle/Hiking).

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=90224
@ gyrocopter

Trouble with that one is that I don't own an airline haha...that's not a "personally owned conveyance"

Old 10-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #15
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
I want a .22 suppressor. Give me some options.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #16
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
I want a .22 suppressor. Give me some options.
Ss sparrow, great can, easy to take apart and silencerco are good people. I paid $375 for mine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Old 10-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #17
david05111

I have an element and I like it

Old 10-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #18
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport