E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.27 average.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #3481
steve.k

My Ride: 05' 325Ci, 13' WRX
Costs associated with motorbike

Hopefully someone will have some expertise in this area.. I currently have my Ls rider license and it expires late jan 2013 so I need to go do my Ps test asap.. I currently don't own a bike (that is learner approved) so I'm on the market for one. I'm very interested in the yam r125.. (Thoughts on this bike?)I'd like to know the costs involve with purchasing a bike and everything else that comes with it.. My budget for the bike only is around 5k. How much is insurance approx? I'm 22 so I'm guessing its going to be a fair bit. Also what about registration, maintenance, gear etc? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Steve

*just did an online quote with aami for 3rd party insurance. $208 pa. Comprehensive is $2,150!

Last edited by steve.k; 09-23-2012 at 07:13 PM.
steve.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:20 PM   #3482
YGOAMG

My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.k View Post
Hopefully someone will have some expertise in this area.. I currently have my Ls rider license and it expires late jan 2013 so I need to go do my Ps test asap.. I currently don't own a bike (that is learner approved) so I'm on the market for one. I'm very interested in the yam r125.. (Thoughts on this bike?)I'd like to know the costs involve with purchasing a bike and everything else that comes with it.. My budget for the bike only is around 5k. How much is insurance approx? I'm 22 so I'm guessing its going to be a fair bit. Also what about registration, maintenance, gear etc? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Steve

*just did an online quote with aami for 3rd party insurance. $208 pa. Comprehensive is $2,150!

Ha gaaaaaaaayy

if you want a 125.. get a Aprillia RS125. ( im on the verge of getting one myself)..
They are a single cylinder 2-stroke... and will go MUCH harder than the R125 4 stroke

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:26 PM   #3483
steve.k

Ohhh I didn't realize they were 2 stroke!! I could never figure out why they were so much more expensive lol. I don't really care about power right now anyway, it's more about getting my fulls! The R125, Ninja 300 and Aprilia rs125 are the best looking learner bikes imo.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #3484
timbo2loose

My Ride: 318i
Steve, as a rider of 10 years, I would recommend a naked 250 V-twin (think honda VTR/Spada), which you should be able to get for around 3K or less. Keep in mind if this is your first bike, you will drop if at some point. service costs about $300 every 6000km, tyres $300/15-20k. Please don't short yourself on a helmet think $7-800.

Back to the bikes. 2-strokes do go hard but are a nightmare to ride in the wet, R125 will be a nice bike, but a V-twin will be alot more forgiving with torque to get you out of the **** were an inline or single would stall.

hope this helps
Tim

PS check out netrider.net.au
timbo2loose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:34 AM   #3485
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
Quote:
Steve

Are the laws different in NSW to SA? If you have a full license you would go straight to the R-date without any P restrictions.

My honda cbr250rr learner bike cost sfa over 3 years
- 5k purchase
- $400 for some dunlop alpha spesh tyres
- $50 service (self) I only did 3000ish kms.
- $150 p/a for property insurance only.
- 2k sale - sold in a day.

You wont drop the bike if you take it gently.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:15 AM   #3486
YGOAMG

Once im more confident in riding (and ofcourse legally able to) I want to get a CBR1000rr in white and print up some SAN CARLO GRESINI vynl stickers and make a SIC58 replica bike!!

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
who da F done that?
Old 09-24-2012, 03:30 AM   #3487
Mitch E46

My Ride: M3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGOAMG View Post
Once im more confident in riding (and ofcourse legally able to) I want to get a CBR1000rr in white and print up some SAN CARLO GRESINI vynl stickers and make a SIC58 replica bike!!
ur dreamin bro.

nah jks go do it!

Mitch E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:36 AM   #3488
steve.k

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo2loose View Post
Steve, as a rider of 10 years, I would recommend a naked 250 V-twin (think honda VTR/Spada), which you should be able to get for around 3K or less. Keep in mind if this is your first bike, you will drop if at some point. service costs about $300 every 6000km, tyres $300/15-20k. Please don't short yourself on a helmet think $7-800.

Back to the bikes. 2-strokes do go hard but are a nightmare to ride in the wet, R125 will be a nice bike, but a V-twin will be alot more forgiving with torque to get you out of the **** were an inline or single would stall.

hope this helps
Tim

PS check out netrider.net.au
Thanks for the help! I actually dont mind the look of the VTR250. Is the power difference essential though? I basically plan to be cruising around on sunny weekends and riding in the rain is out of the question for me. I just want something that semi stands out and won't be a pain to ride. Hopefully slow cruising wont get me in those sticky situations!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortinaD View Post
Are the laws different in NSW to SA? If you have a full license you would go straight to the R-date without any P restrictions.

My honda cbr250rr learner bike cost sfa over 3 years
- 5k purchase
- $400 for some dunlop alpha spesh tyres
- $50 service (self) I only did 3000ish kms.
- $150 p/a for property insurance only.
- 2k sale - sold in a day.

You wont drop the bike if you take it gently.
I'm not really sure what you mean by this but in NSW having a full car license has nothing to do with the bike license. This is pretty much how it works for the bike license;

Although if you are over 25 you get the P2 stage exempt if you hold a full drivers license.

I love the cbr250rr! Awesome bike. Only problem is too many km's now.. and decent ones are 6k+
Old 09-24-2012, 03:39 AM   #3489
steve.k

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGOAMG View Post
Do you have your bike license yet??
Not gunna lie i had to look the SIC58 up on google images... it looks sick!!

When i am legally able to i want to get a S1000rr in this exact colour...

Last edited by steve.k; 09-24-2012 at 03:55 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:10 AM   #3490
YGOAMG

Talking about like this

Rest In Peace Marco!

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
who da F done that?
Old 09-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #3491
CortinaD

Quote:
Thanks for the help! I actually dont mind the look of the VTR250. Is the power difference essential though? I basically plan to be cruising around on sunny weekends and riding in the rain is out of the question for me. I just want something that semi stands out and won't be a pain to ride. Hopefully slow cruising wont get me in those sticky situations!!

I'm not really sure what you mean by this but in NSW having a full car license has nothing to do with the bike license. This is pretty much how it works for the bike license;

Although if you are over 25 you get the P2 stage exempt if you hold a full drivers license.

I love the cbr250rr! Awesome bike. Only problem is too many km's now.. and decent ones are 6k+
Yeah it is linked to car license here if you hold one.

I was 28 when I got mine but the story was do the L course, 2 half days. On L for 6 months under normal L restrictions. Do "Advanced" course, 1 half day and if you have a full car license you go straight onto R-date at normal rules other than LAMS approved bike, otherwise Provisional for R-Date for 12 months then go get the stamp for R afterwards.

The 250rr was awesome but in hindsight its too old. I just got it because I wanted to own something that sounded insane, revved to 20k and had wide tyres and that was the only decent bike around that didn't look like a motorised pushy.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #3492
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
I just want to get on a dirt bike, no way I could ever convince myself to get my road bike license. Temporarily citizens! I get so scared driving around bike riders because they're so invisible and fragile :S
Old 09-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #3493
YGOAMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by trive2 View Post
I just want to get on a dirt bike, no way I could ever convince myself to get my road bike license. Temporarily citizens! I get so scared driving around bike riders because they're so invisible and fragile :S
Its simple, just treat them like a car.

Be aware when approaching traffic lights that one maybe splitting traffic too.

Most of the time the rider will assess the situation. Drivers just have to keep an eye out ( when you're driving though, you should be concerntrating enough to notice bikes anyway)

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
who da F done that?

Last edited by YGOAMG; 09-24-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #3494
steve.k

The only thing that scares me are other drivers who have no conception about driving what so ever. The ones that are looking straight ahead with no idea of what's happening around them... Yesterday i was driving through a double lane roundabout and this douchebag in a range rover infront of me (very close) but in the next lane pretty much cut right through my lane going straight. I didn't let it get to me as you have to feel sorry for these idiots that have no idea. Further up ahead was a car trying to park and the idiot in the range rover cut me the fvck off with no blinker or nothing to get around it, and still had the audacity to slow right down and stare at me after i got on the horn.... its these F*CKWITS that cause accidents with riders and the stupidity of those around me is what i am most afraid of.

I have actually considered buying a track bike to keep me satisfied just cause i don't trust other drivers on the road.

Last edited by steve.k; 09-25-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:45 AM   #3495
timbo2loose

My Ride: 318i
Quote:

The VTR is perfect for cruising, the torque means you don't have to work the gear box all the time(unless you want to do some spirit'd riding). The sticky situations tend to happen as a course of nature ie: not realising you are in second not first at a set of lights.

Have you thought about a 650 LAMS bike? be careful on the jump from 250 to 1000.
timbo2loose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:32 AM   #3496
steve.k

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo2loose View Post
The VTR is perfect for cruising, the torque means you don't have to work the gear box all the time(unless you want to do some spirit'd riding). The sticky situations tend to happen as a course of nature ie: not realising you are in second not first at a set of lights.

Have you thought about a 650 LAMS bike? be careful on the jump from 250 to 1000.
I do like the VTR. It reminds me of my dads Cagiva Raptor. I have thought of a 650 lams bike or something around that sort of power.. I love the Kawasaki ER-6nL, but most of them are upwards of 8k and i think that is getting abit pricey for a first bike.

I haven't ridden anything more powerful than a Yamaha WR450 and i was surprised at the power of that. I couldn't imagine the power of a 1000 supersport. I will definitely do riding courses once i reach that stage though.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #3497
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
Quote:
The only thing that scares me are other drivers who have no conception about driving what so ever. The ones that are looking straight ahead with no idea of what's happening around them... Yesterday i was driving through a double lane roundabout and this douchebag in a range rover infront of me (very close) but in the next lane pretty much cut right through my lane going straight. I didn't let it get to me as you have to feel sorry for these idiots that have no idea. Further up ahead was a car trying to park and the idiot in the range rover cut me the fvck off with no blinker or nothing to get around it, and still had the audacity to slow right down and stare at me after i got on the horn.... its these F*CKWITS that cause accidents with riders and the stupidity of those around me is what i am most afraid of.

I have actually considered buying a track bike to keep me satisfied just cause i don't trust other drivers on the road.

Yup, I try to be a good driver but it just scares me that at some stage I'm going to unintentionally be your Range Rover driver

Unless you're riding a push bike on the road Then you're fair game

Anyone got a good idea of a trail bike I should look at? Within ten years old, 2-stroke, full-size but for a beginner and less than 2k used.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #3498
11EAS

My Ride: M3

'04 JB/IR M3

Last edited by 11EAS; 09-25-2012 at 08:49 PM.
11EAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #3499
CortinaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11EAS View Post
it wasn't sheer driving pleasure for her
Old 09-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #3500
N4NOOK

My Ride: 323ci
her face in the still reminds me of the face I make when i've drunk too much and don't know where i've woken up
N4NOOK is offline   Reply With Quote