E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #41
EDawg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 4,773
My Ride: :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild willy View Post
All true...But it would not be so much fun for my 2 kids tring to sit in the back......they could manage in the stang...and put things in the trunk
like i said the frs/brz is not perfect. but if rear passenger space and cargo capacity is more important to you than something light weight, then by all means get the mustang. it's great that the market provides us with choices.
EDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #42
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,594
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
I'm not sure the car was ever marketed as a family-friendly vehicle. If I were 18 with a few dollars in the bank and looking for my second car, I'd consider it. But I'd probably pass it up in favor of an older WRX/Evo/GTI, simply because the cars are built on a more trusted platform, have more power, and are all turbocharged from the factory.

This thing is definitely an odd niche car, same as the CRX was.
__________________

Last edited by NOVAbimmer; 09-25-2012 at 12:35 PM.
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #43
v8 5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jarzy, New Jarzy
Posts: 343
My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
But I'd probably pass it up in favor of an older WRX/Evo/GTI
I'm not a fan of milk jug sized engines relying on air not warmer than 75F to make power but
__________________
Gutted with a Getrag



We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #44
brew
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 346
My Ride: F150 X5 MR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
What I think bugs the piss out of me is the fact that everyone is seeming to rave about how the BRZ/FR-S is the Messiah of modern sports cars, when in all reality, it's just another entry-level sports car with a $3,000 higher price tag.
I think people are excited about the FR-S because after 20 years of cars just getting bigger and bigger and heavier and heavier - and RWD becoming exceptionally rare in entry level cars, Toyota an Subaru are finally saying "hey, we're gonna make small, fun, light, sporty cars again - with RWD and LSD". And hopefully that catches on with other makers. It's like the BMW M1 - I don't particularly want one, but it gives me hope that BMW isn't completely lost.

brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #45
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In a squat rack!
Posts: 1,812
My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
I think that the car looks very good............great when lowered on the right wheels.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #46
rohde88
Registered User
 
rohde88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 855
My Ride: S2000
I'd rock one!
__________________
-Ron
rohde88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #47
alkemyst
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 578
My Ride: 06 TiAg M3 ZCP 6M
I think 90% of the craze is because this car is obtainable by many and has RWD.

Without FI, it's only fun in corners.
alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #48
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In a squat rack!
Posts: 1,812
My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemyst View Post
I think 90% of the craze is because this car is obtainable by many and has RWD.

Without FI, it's only fun in corners.

I agree. A nicely engineered chassis with RWD and an LSD for sub-$25k is awesome. That's the reason why the Miata is still the road course favorite. Add a little power and you're off!
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #49
KtecR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 502
My Ride: ZHP, S2K, 4Runner
Send a message via AIM to KtecR
I'd highly consider one if/when the E46 craps out. Still glad I didn't wait to compare newer used S2ks vs a new 86.
__________________

2008 S2000: Chicane Silver/Red; 6 spd
2007 KLR 650
2004 330i ZHP: AW/Gray Leather; 6spd
1996 4Runner SR5: White/Tan
1980 CB400T

Sold:
2000 328Ci: TiAg/Black Leather; 5spd
2004 M3: TiAg/Black Leather; SMG
1995 318i: Arctic Gray/Gray Leather; 5spd
1986 325es: Red/Black Cloth; 5spd
KtecR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #50
Rhumb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 108
My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
I think people are excited about the FR-S because after 20 years of cars just getting bigger and bigger and heavier and heavier - and RWD becoming exceptionally rare in entry level cars, Toyota an Subaru are finally saying "hey, we're gonna make small, fun, light, sporty cars again - with RWD and LSD". And hopefully that catches on with other makers. It's like the BMW M1 - I don't particularly want one, but it gives me hope that BMW isn't completely lost.

I agree with this a lot.

People have been griping how cars have become so big, fat, heavy, complex, overpowered, thirsty, clumsy and expensive.

Finally, somebody comes out wiht a small, trim, light, simple, efficient, nimble and affordable RWD sports car and people immediately start whining because it's won't fit four overweight linebackers and two-weeks worth of luggage, has less than 600hp, won't crack 185mph, doesn't have everthing including a power map pocket, or all the features of a Rolls Royce, and costs more than $15K.

Wake up, the car is what it is and does what it's supposed to do brilliantly. Sure, maybe a few more hp might be nice, but hardly necessary much less disqualifying.

Last edited by Rhumb; 09-25-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #51
Bartacus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,225
My Ride: 2002 320i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
I agree with this a lot.

People have been griping how cars have become so big, fat, heavy, complex, overpowered, thirsty, clumsy and expensive.

Finally, somebody comes out wiht a small, trim, light, simple, efficient, nimble and affordable RWD sports car and people immediately start whining because it's won't fit four overweight linebackers and two-weeks worth of luggage, has less than 600hp, won't crack 185mph, doesn't have everthing including a power map pocket, or all the features of a Rolls Royce, and costs more than $15K.

Wake up, the car is what it is and does what it's supposed to do brilliantly. Sure, maybe a few more hp might be nice, but hardly necessary much less disqualifying.
I agree with YOU a lot! Anyone with 2 kids who craps on this car for not being a family vehicle, not enough room, etc doesn't get it.
Bartacus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #52
325inthe510
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Best Coast
Posts: 6,315
My Ride: 152ci of madness
Wow, are people actually surprised that buying new is a terrible value?

It is faster than a v6 mustang, and it's not running mid 7's it's running mid 6's
__________________

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #53
someguy_99
Registered User
 
someguy_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tdot Oh
Posts: 342
My Ride: E46,335Xi,Lambo,...
Id drop a 2jz and decimate all
__________________

A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. J Clarkson
someguy_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #54
andrewrossnagel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: nyc
Posts: 245
My Ride: .
Car of the year easily. And well over 400hp on stock internals if you want to make it faster
andrewrossnagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #55
SPDSKTR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Posts: 2,146
My Ride: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325inthe510 View Post
Wow, are people actually surprised that buying new is a terrible value?

It is faster than a v6 mustang, and it's not running mid 7's it's running mid 6's
Under what circumstances? Through the twisties? Definitely. On straight road? Yeah... good luck with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrossnagel View Post
Car of the year easily. And well over 400hp on stock internals if you want to make it faster
You'd have to go the forced induction route, which a few companies are working on kits for it. I figure with 300 HP, it would be a nasty, nasty car.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer325 View Post
I know I suck as an OT poster, but at least I have Edken to make me look good.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #56
325inthe510
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Best Coast
Posts: 6,315
My Ride: 152ci of madness
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
Under what circumstances? Through the twisties? Definitely. On straight road? Yeah... good luck with that.



You'd have to go the forced induction route, which a few companies are working on kits for it. I figure with 300 HP, it would be a nasty, nasty car.
On pretty much any track.

The mustang is still a pigfat murrikan pos, while the brz is as true a sports car as you can get today.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
__________________

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #57
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,594
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325inthe510 View Post
On pretty much any track.

The mustang is still a pigfat murrikan pos, while the brz is as true a sports car as you can get today.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
you're really reaching by calling the new mustangs a pos while saying the brz is the truest sports car available today
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #58
SPDSKTR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Posts: 2,146
My Ride: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325inthe510 View Post
On pretty much any track that involves more than four turns.

The mustang is still a great value for what it is, while the brz is a fully loaded entry-level sports car with the major benefit of LSD, light weight, and a low center of gravity.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
Fixed that for you.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer325 View Post
I know I suck as an OT poster, but at least I have Edken to make me look good.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #59
albeee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 45,838
My Ride: Fit, Z4, XJ6
Everything is a POS. Some are just fatter than others.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMONT View Post
stancewerks is for dudes who pick up dudes for a little stretch and poke.
albeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #60
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,570
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy_99 View Post
Id drop a 2jz and decimate all
Only if you overnight parts from Japan.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use