E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #61
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Only if you overnight parts from Japan.
Don't forget NOS. You need NOS. The car only tops out at 140. You need one of those... one of the big ones. Actually... let's make it two.

330i/Ci Bang for the Buck Horsepower Guide
Want 5% off any BimmerBrakes.com purchase? PM me for details!
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #62
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
Don't forget NOS. You need NOS. The car only tops out at 140. You need one of those... one of the big ones. Actually... let's make it two.
You'd be lucky if the 100 shot of NOS doesn't blow the welds on the intake.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #63
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
you're comparing a $20k car to a $40k car.
it's stupid so just stop.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #64
andrewrossnagel

My Ride: .
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78

full blown kit is the nicest imo
371hp

Last edited by andrewrossnagel; 09-25-2012 at 07:09 PM.
andrewrossnagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #65
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
I think people are excited about the FR-S because after 20 years of cars just getting bigger and bigger and heavier and heavier - and RWD becoming exceptionally rare in entry level cars, Toyota an Subaru are finally saying "hey, we're gonna make small, fun, light, sporty cars again - with RWD and LSD". And hopefully that catches on with other makers. It's like the BMW M1 - I don't particularly want one, but it gives me hope that BMW isn't completely lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I agree. A nicely engineered chassis with RWD and an LSD for sub-$25k is awesome. That's the reason why the Miata is still the road course favorite. Add a little power and you're off!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
I agree with this a lot.

People have been griping how cars have become so big, fat, heavy, complex, overpowered, thirsty, clumsy and expensive.

Finally, somebody comes out wiht a small, trim, light, simple, efficient, nimble and affordable RWD sports car and people immediately start whining because it's won't fit four overweight linebackers and two-weeks worth of luggage, has less than 600hp, won't crack 185mph, doesn't have everthing including a power map pocket, or all the features of a Rolls Royce, and costs more than $15K.

Wake up, the car is what it is and does what it's supposed to do brilliantly. Sure, maybe a few more hp might be nice, but hardly necessary much less disqualifying.
THIS!!!!

Thank god.

The BRZ is not about being fast in a straight line or even really being fast in general. It's about going back to a small light sports car with a low CG; a car that that is light, RWD, and has a LSD, that will engage and teach the driver. That's what makes true drivers cars fun. I'm sure a Mustang could smoke it on in a straight line, but it doesn't matter. There's no other new car like this on the market until you hit around $50k+ like an Elise or a Boxster.

Could it use more power? Definitely. Is a turbo the right way to do it? No, it will change the personality of the car. I bet with most of the turbo kits out there you aren't hitting full boost until at least 3-3.5k RPM. Even if you keep the RPMs up above that, you lose the crisp throttle modulation characteristics that makes a NA engine work so well in a car like this, thereby ruining an essential component to what makes the car so great in the first place.

However, a supercharger could work well with providing more power and maintaining the characteristics of the car, as long as heat management was addressed appropriately.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #66
KOpower

My Ride: 325ci
I think everyone has interesting comments
It is a bit like the BMW 1 series so good on 'em for making a different car than your heavy mustangs

Seems like most of you dig the car

Maybe buying it cheaper in a couple/few years is more intriguing

those back seats are tiny though

Didn't realise as someone mentioned the lack of power seats is because of weight saving reasons

But gee - it would be a better idea to have had a slightly more powerful engine with power seats - than without!

My Ride:
2002 e46 325ci Manual - Sport & Premium Pkg
KOpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #67
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
I like the Subaru better.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #68
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #69
ANREC330

My Ride: C6 Vette & M3
Not my cup of tea. I'd probably pick up a used one for a DD I could beat on in an empty parking lot or something.
ANREC330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #70
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
I like the look of it but the fact that all the young stance crowd cream themselves over it is enough to turn me off owning one.

Last edited by CortinaD; 09-25-2012 at 11:00 PM.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:35 AM   #71
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325inthe510 View Post
that mustang seems to be missing something... hmm.

Oh that's right, it's missing two cylinders
Old 09-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #72
SPDSKTR

You know... all this time, I thought it was a two-seater. No joke. I guess the back seats help keep insurance rates down?

Another car that was around the same price range (although far less standard features) was the RX-8. Didn't it start around $25,000?

Old 09-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #73
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
You know... all this time, I thought it was a two-seater. No joke. I guess the back seats help keep insurance rates down?

Another car that was around the same price range (although far less standard features) was the RX-8. Didn't it start around $25,000?
Yeah, 10 years ago. Back then, you could get a base 3-series for $2500 more.

Today. This is cheaper than the Acura ILX, a car based on the Civic with FWD and 50 less hp. I think the BRZ is a great deal for someone willing to spend $25k on a new car.

Last edited by 'busa; 09-26-2012 at 08:10 AM.
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:18 AM   #74
SPDSKTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
Yeah, 10 years ago. Back then, you could get a base 3-series for $2500 more.

Today. This is cheaper than the Acura ILX, a car based on the Civic with FWD and 50 less hp. I think the BRZ is a great deal for someone willing to spend $25k on a new car.
Of course, you can always kiss the salesman's ass and talk him down to $23,000...

Old 09-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #75
CoconutPete

My Ride: E90 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANREC330 View Post
Not my cup of tea. I'd probably pick up a used one for a DD I could beat on in an empty parking lot or something.
This post doesn't make any sense. If the car is not your cup of tea - why would you buy one? There are hundreds of cars out there.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.” “They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”
-----------
Extra Credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3"
not "I'm looking for a M3".
-----------
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #76
ANREC330

My Ride: C6 Vette & M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
This post doesn't make any sense. If the car is not your cup of tea - why would you buy one? There are hundreds of cars out there.
Makes perfect sense, I would never pay the amount there asking for rite now for that car. In a couple years it'll be dirt cheap and be what the 240sx is now, a cheap car you can beat on and track, yet maintenance isn't expensive.
ANREC330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #77
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANREC330 View Post
Makes perfect sense, I would never pay the amount there asking for rite now for that car. In a couple years it'll be dirt cheap and be what the 240sx is now, a cheap car you can beat on and track, yet maintenance isn't expensive.
Are you kidding me? The last 240SX rolled off the assembly line on July 23, 1998. Does "a couple years" mean 14 years to you?

Last edited by 'busa; 09-26-2012 at 11:10 AM.
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #78
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
Are you kidding me? The last 240SX rolled off the assembly line on July 23, 1998. Does "a couple years" mean 14 years to you?
Old 09-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #79
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOpower View Post

Didn't realise as someone mentioned the lack of power seats is because of weight saving reasons

But gee - it would be a better idea to have had a slightly more powerful engine with power seats - than without!
Why do you need power seats? You'd sacrifice some performance in order to be able to push a button instead of pulling a lever?

I specifically ordered my 325i from the factory with non-powered sport seats because power seats are pointless. They are a luxury that no one really needs. Power windows and mirrors - that makes sense . . but power seats don't really do anything that manual seats can't do, except have the memory setting.
brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #80
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
Why do you need power seats? You'd sacrifice some performance in order to be able to push a button instead of pulling a lever?

I specifically ordered my 325i from the factory with non-powered sport seats because power seats are pointless. They are a luxury that no one really needs. Power windows and mirrors - that makes sense . . but power seats don't really do anything that manual seats can't do, except have the memory setting.
Lol okay...
Power seats are worlds more practice than manual seats.
Ever try adjusting your manual seat while driving? It's freakin annoying.
Also manual seats only have notches for settings. So there might be a setting between notches that you want.
Auto seats will cover the whole range of adjustment.
Sorry but the majority of people buying a luxury car, me included, will pass on a car due to manual seats