E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #1421
benjamin1

My Ride: 350z track edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
The fact still remains that sputtering was likely the way it lost its atmosphere. The same could happen to us with a sufficiently large CME pointed in our direction.
How long would something like that take? Assuming it happened at 6pm tonight, would we wake up tomorrow? Next week? Months?

benjamin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #1422
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
I have no idea, but I can't imagine it would be too long, maybe a couple days tops...

Research group has claimed they're on their way to room temperature superconductivity
http://www.technologyreview.com/view...nld=2012-09-13

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #1423
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
^ I don't see a resistivity vs. temperature plot anywhere in the original paper (as it is customary in these kinds of articles), probably because this is a surface effect and the graphite particle won't be able to sustain superconducting behaviour long enough to take the measurement. Still a good progress though. I find the recipe rather amusing, wonder what the referees said about it...

Black Sapphire MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #1424
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
^ I don't see a resistivity vs. temperature plot anywhere in the original paper (as it is customary in these kinds of articles), probably because this is a surface effect and the graphite particle won't be able to sustain superconducting behaviour long enough to take the measurement. Still a good progress though. I find the recipe rather amusing, wonder what the referees said about it...
It looks like they're inferring superconductivity via the magnetic moment. I don't know a whole lot about superconductivity but the article did mention a change in the magnetic moment being linked to superconductivity.

flickher

Old 09-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #1425
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
It looks like they're inferring superconductivity via the magnetic moment. I don't know a whole lot about superconductivity but the article did mention a change in the magnetic moment being linked to superconductivity.
Magnetic moment having anything to do with superconductivity is called spin-fluctuation theory (still under debate, but majority thinks it has importance), which says the superconducting behavior is mediated by antiferromagnetic fluctuations. This is different than conventional superconductivity, where superconducting behavior is mediated by crystal excitations called phonons (solved in the 50s).

It is well known that high-Tc superconductors fall into the first category, which is what these guys are apparently saying.

Black Sapphire MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #1426
KrasivataSabine

My Ride: 323Ci
God I love this thread.

#BattleBimmer #323RS
KrasivataSabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #1427
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Cooling air from 1000o C to -150o C in 1/100th of a second.

Full 40 minutes on this guy here. I just watched it and it's safe to say he is absolutely brilliant.

flickher

Old 09-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #1428
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
The Warp Drive Could Become Science Fact

Quote:
A warp drive to achieve faster-than-light travel -- a concept popularized in television's Star Trek -- may not be as unrealistic as once thought, scientists say.

A warp drive would manipulate space-time itself to move a starship, taking advantage of a loophole in the laws of physics that prevent anything from moving faster than light. A concept for a real-life warp drive was suggested in 1994 by Mexican physicist Miguel Alcubierre, however subsequent calculations found that such a device would require prohibitive amounts of energy.

Now physicists say that adjustments can be made to the proposed warp drive that would enable it to run on significantly less energy, potentially bringing the idea back from the realm of science fiction into science.

SLIDE SHOW: Introducing the Warpship

"There is hope," Harold "Sonny" White of NASA's Johnson Space Center said Friday (Sept. 14) at the 100 Year Starship Symposium, a meeting to discuss the challenges of interstellar spaceflight.

Warping Spacetime

An Alcubierre warp drive would involve a football-shape spacecraft attached to a large ring encircling it. This ring, potentially made of exotic matter, would cause space-time to warp around the starship, creating a region of contracted space in front of it and expanded space behind.

Meanwhile, the starship itself would stay inside a bubble of flat space-time that wasn't being warped at all.

"Everything within space is restricted by the speed of light," explained Richard Obousy, president of Icarus Interstellar, a non-profit group of scientists and engineers devoted to pursuing interstellar spaceflight. "But the really cool thing is space-time, the fabric of space, is not limited by the speed of light."

With this concept, the spacecraft would be able to achieve an effective speed of about 10 times the speed of light, all without breaking the cosmic speed limit.

The only problem is, previous studies estimated the warp drive would require a minimum amount of energy about equal to the mass-energy of the planet Jupiter.

ANALYSIS: Warp Drives: Making the 'Impossible' Possible

But recently White calculated what would happen if the shape of the ring encircling the spacecraft was adjusted into more of a rounded donut, as opposed to a flat ring. He found in that case, the warp drive could be powered by a mass about the size of a spacecraft like the Voyager 1 probe NASA launched in 1977.

WATCH VIDEOS: SPACEFLIGHT AND EXPLORATION
Furthermore, if the intensity of the space warps can be oscillated over time, the energy required is reduced even more, White found.

"The findings I presented today change it from impractical to plausible and worth further investigation," White told SPACE.com. "The additional energy reduction realized by oscillating the bubble intensity is an interesting conjecture that we will enjoy looking at in the lab."

Laboratory Tests

White and his colleagues have begun experimenting with a mini version of the warp drive in their laboratory.

They set up what they call the White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer at the Johnson Space Center, essentially creating a laser interferometer that instigates micro versions of space-time warps.

"We're trying to see if we can generate a very tiny instance of this in a tabletop experiment, to try to perturb space-time by one part in 10 million," White said.

He called the project a "humble experiment" compared to what would be needed for a real warp drive, but said it represents a promising first step.

ANALYSIS: Interstellar Travel Is Hard, Why Bother?

And other scientists stressed that even outlandish-sounding ideas, such as the warp drive, need to be considered if humanity is serious about traveling to other stars.

"If we're ever going to become a true spacefaring civilization, we're going to have to think outside the box a little bit, were going to have to be a little bit audacious," Obousy said.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #1429
cowmoo32
drunken science

I saw that. I'll have to go back and find it, but some French?...maybe Australian....researchers found that even if you can build the drive, charged particles build up at the front. When you "slow down" the particles release and obliterate whatever you were headed toward.

flickher

Old 09-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #1430
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
well that would suck. "Honey, I'm home! ...oh sh*t"

Maybe we can have Stopping Areas dedicated away from planets and such.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #1431
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
Came here to post the warp drive story. Sheits cray.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #1432
cowmoo32
drunken science

Here's the article I was thinking about. It was an Australian group
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03...er_warp_drive/

Here's the kicker
Quote:
The problem is that the Alcubierre Drive spaceship is going to encounter matter during its trip: space is only nearly empty, not completely empty. Matter traveling towards the ship, the paper says, will become "time locked" with the ship. When the ship decelerates, these hitch-hikers are released from the bubble emitting huge amounts of energy as gamma rays and high-energy particles.

"The amount of energy released infront of the ship is unbounded, as we can increase the energy of the released radiation and particles simply by travelling across a larger distance," McMonigal explained.

flickher

Old 09-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #1433
cowmoo32
drunken science

Check out this guy's channel, he has some really cool stuff

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 09-24-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #1434
cowmoo32
drunken science

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/09/mo...tire-universe/
Quote:
Over a span of two weeks in October, the Mira supercomputer will crank away nonstop, processing quadrillions of operations every second - something that few other machines are currently capable of doing. It will simultaneously track trillions of particles as they move, expand and react to each other according to the laws of physics.

This simulation will have to use everything mankind has learned about the movement of objects. If successful, it will not only confirm what we've suspected, but will also give us a deeper understanding of how the cosmos came to be.

Mira is simulating an entire universe.

According to The Atlantic, the advent of Mira (along with the more powerful Sequoia and K supercompters) is the first time that machines have been powerful enough to run a simulation of this scale. A normal computer available today simply could not complete the calculations. And when you consider the specs of the Mira, you realise just how massive this undertaking is.

Built around IBM's BlueGene technology, Mira is powered by 768,000 cores spread across 48 blade racks. (This thing is big! Just like other supercomputers!) It has eight petaflops of processing power, and at its peak theoretical performance is able to perform 10 quadrillion floating point operations per second. Oh, and it has nearly a petabyte of RAM.

So what exactly will Mira simulate in this experiment? Essentially, as The Atlantic explains, researchers at the Argonne National Laboratory are interested in seeing exactly how stars - and entire galaxies - expand, clump together and form the filament structures. The behaviour has led scientists over the years to compare the universe to a web-like structure. The simulation will begin with the universe shortly after the big bang, then it will simulate a time lapse lasting 12 billion years to see if our theories of astrophysics hold up.

Supposing that the experiment does validate centuries of research, we can then begin to move forward. As our understanding increases and supercomputers become more powerful, we can begin to explore crazier ideas, like the possibility that there's more than one universe out there (*mind explodes*).

And the Mira supercomputer? Over its lifespan, it will be operational for five billion computing hours a year. The vast majority of its time will be spent cranking out simulations of DOE-sponsored initiatives and challenges. It will reserve a chunk of its time for projects of "immediate need" (such as the Deepwater Horizon oil crisis). It's safe to say this machine will stay busy, even when it's not deciphering the origins of our existence.

flickher

Old 09-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #1435
Ackord02

My Ride: is slow
Send a message via MSN to Ackord02 Send a message via Skype™ to Ackord02
Old 09-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #1436
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Here's the article I was thinking about. It was an Australian group
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03...er_warp_drive/

Here's the kicker
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Navigational_deflector

Quote:
Incredible. That is all.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 09-26-2012 at 05:06 PM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #1437
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Incredible. That is all.
There are more than a few very intelligent and credible people that believe we're living inside of a simulation right now, mainly due to the fact that energy is quantized and the smallest parts of matter have a finite size, which are the same rules we would give a computer to run a physics simulation.

flickher

Old 09-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #1438
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
multiple universes
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #1439
ac_2007

My Ride: E46 - M3 & 325i
Quote:
There are more than a few very intelligent and credible people that believe we're living inside of a simulation right now, mainly due to the fact that energy is quantized and the smallest parts of matter have a finite size, which are the same rules we would give a computer to run a physics simulation.
Interesting. Source to this?
Old 09-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #1440
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Interesting. Source to this?
One of the "through the wormhole" episodes covered this, maybe I can find it.

*edit* turns out it was episode one, DOH!

Last edited by Rubenk; 09-27-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote