E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
stevenluczynski

My Ride: Is Steel Blue<3
Smile Help a guy get a solid plan to reach his goal?

So I've been going to regularly for about 3 years now and I have seen Improvements with my strength but I have seen little change in my physique. I have been following this routine for most of the time without the cardio part.http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...n-routine.html
My biceps and chest have definitely grown but I feel like my results should be better after a few years of going 5 days a week.
Here is the most recent picture of me http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7439756b.jpg
and I guess this would be my goal http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...psa38fe0af.jpg
P.s.
I'm 6 foot and 165lb
Thanks
Old 09-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
what are your lifting numbers?

That routine is all high reps so you should have made improvements in the way you look. What does your diet look like?
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
stevenluczynski

bench-1165x10 reps, 210max
squats-165-10reps not really pushing myself
So about a year ago someone told me to try out doing 3 sets of each exercise in 10,8,6 repetitions, so thats what I have been doing for the past year.
I havent really logged my diet but its mostly healthy foods, but lost of carbs(bread) i can log it for the next few days and post it here.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
I feel like you've given a couple hints as to why you have yet to reach your goals.

#1 - Nutrition.

Are you getting enough protein? You should have at minimum 165g a day, and be more in the 165-230g a day range.

What is your fat intake? If its only around 20-30% of your daily calorie intake, with protein being 20-30%, that means 40-60% of your calories come from carbs... and at 4 kCal a gram you are probably not eating over maintenance calorie level.

My suggestion to you is to calculate your maintenance calories. This is the start level for where you need to eat to maintain your current weight. Since you want to add weight, but with the goal picture you posted be at a sub 10% BF level, you should consider the following:

Calculate your maintenance calories, and eat 500 calories more than that on workout days. It's impossible for most men to do this in 3 meals eating clean. If you slam down 6-7 pieces of pizza, different story. This is counter-intuitive to your goals however. You should aim for 4 meals minimum, im guessing your maintenance will be around 1800 calories... so 2300 calories, at around 600 a meal. This is for workout days only, and since intense weightlifting burns significant calories, you should add a 5th "meal" post workout, of a protein shake in the 300-500 calorie range. Achieve this by using 2 scoops of 24g per scoop protein (ON whey etc), and some high fat moderate sugar greek style yogurt, or heavy cream if you like the taste.

I do not believe you are eating enough food, nor the proper amounts of each nutrient for extensive muscle growth. I honestly believe you are past your initial gains where everything is much easier, and its going to be more difficult to see gains without more specific nutrition/work ethic. IMO at least!

#2 - Intensity & Reps

That workout program is so-so imo. If you want other examples just say. From personal experience, if you like training in the higher rep ranges, you should stick to between 8-12 reps. You may need to be training more intense, your body has adapted to the initial shock of lifting and you need to step it up to the next level in order to see gains from here on out. If you like the 10-8-6 reps (I hope they told you to up the weight each set, reverse pyramid is the name for the rep scheme) then you should pick a weight that you come close to failing on the last rep on each set... easier said then done but once you find the right one you can monitor progress as it feels lighter each week.

You need to push yourself more I think... your squats should be heavier (given your bench number) and you should be squatting to parallel.

Sorry for the paragraph reply but unlike most people who post this sort of stuff and don't have a clue, you seem dedicated and have just hit a wall. Lots of people here can help you get past it
Old 09-19-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
dabears

Give this a read:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...gaining_muscle

And consider this routine, its currently working wonders for me in only two weeks. I love the science behind the rep ranges (and corresponding weight lifted).

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...out-split.html
Old 09-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
Based on where you are now, you'd easily look like the guy on the left (..in the goal picture) simply by dropping body fat. Neither of those guys are overly muscular, so it is my opinion that you've given yourself a realistic goal based on your current state. Dabears has provided some information for you, so now it's time for you to eat up, lift hard, and post the results.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
stevenluczynski

Thanks for the replies!
Another question that I have is to loose body fat percentage, will that happen when I'm going over my maintenance calories on workout days?
Or do I have to do the Weightlift and bulk, then Cardio and try to lean down?
And with the plan Dabears posted should I be doing some kind of cardio to loose the body fat%?
Old 09-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #8
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Just about any "split" that hits all body parts will be sufficient. The one thing I would really mention is to focus on upper chest, triceps, and lateral raises for shoulders. These movements will give you huge bang for the buck (visually).

The real issue is your diet. Not to be insulting, but the way you've phrased it tells me that you eat garbage. Log what you eat for a few days and report back. Anything that passes your lips for like 72hours. I bet you'll be shocked how A) high your carbs are and B) how low your protein is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
stevenluczynski

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
Just about any "split" that hits all body parts will be sufficient. The one thing I would really mention is to focus on upper chest, triceps, and lateral raises for shoulders. These movements will give you huge bang for the buck (visually).

The real issue is your diet. Not to be insulting, but the way you've phrased it tells me that you eat garbage. Log what you eat for a few days and report back. Anything that passes your lips for like 72hours. I bet you'll be shocked how A) high your carbs are and B) how low your protein is.
It's not an insult, I always appreciate constructive criticism! Ill log my diet starting tomorrow and report back!
Old 09-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
dabears

Ill wait to see the diet to determine if I think you are ready to wreak some havoc on your body with nutrition... you can lose fat and gain muscle (both at a slow, sustained rate) over a years time with careful nutrient timing. But for the majority, excess calories = muscle gain (if lifting weights) + fat gain, deficit calories = fat loss with minimal to no muscle loss (if lifting weights). Your macros and training determine how much you gain/lose of each.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
stevenluczynski

Ok so by tracking my diet I have realized I'm not getting nearly enough protein and wayy to much carbs.
and pre made diet plans you guys suggest?
Old 09-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #12
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenluczynski View Post
Ok so by tracking my diet I have realized I'm not getting nearly enough protein and wayy to much carbs.
Premade? No. Just get a list of good quality foods and eat the right amounts
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
dwass325

Quote:
I am like the diet swami over here.

Breakfast: egg whites and oatmeal, a couple whole eggs.

Subsequent meals: chicken/fish, broccoli/asparagus, brown rice/sweet potato.

A couple protein shakes are okay, too.

Use a site like livestrong.com to track nutrients of what you're eating. I don't know your height/weight, but I would suggest splitting your calories at 40% protein, 40% carbs, and 20% fat to begin with. Try that for a while and it should work well...then you can adjust from there as you learn how your body reacts to certain things (we're all different).

Quote:
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

Old 09-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #14
M3Inline6

Quote:
I am like the diet swami over here.

Breakfast: egg whites and oatmeal, a couple whole eggs.

Subsequent meals: chicken/fish, broccoli/asparagus, brown rice/sweet potato.

A couple protein shakes are okay, too.

Use a site like livestrong.com to track nutrients of what you're eating. I don't know your height/weight, but I would suggest splitting your calories at 40% protein, 40% carbs, and 20% fat to begin with. Try that for a while and it should work well...then you can adjust from there as you learn how your body reacts to certain things (we're all different).

Do I have permission to change your username to Diet_Swami? How about Diet_Swami325? Or maybe dwasswami325?

Last edited by M3Inline6; 09-23-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #15
dwass325

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Do I have permission to change your username to Diet_Swami? How about Diet_Swami325? Or maybe dwasswami325?

Permission given for Diet Swami. I don't own a 325 anymore - or any car for that matter.

Quote:

Old 09-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #16
stevenluczynski

^rofl
Old 09-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #17
M3Inline6

Quote:

Permission given for Diet Swami. I don't own a 325 anymore - or any car for that matter.
Seriously? Lol! I'll change it.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Bimmer App
Old 09-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #18
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
update OP?

I think you should re-take your own picture with better posture. Honestly, your posture accentuates your deficiencies. Head up shoulders back.

Last edited by rohde88; 09-27-2012 at 10:55 AM.
rohde88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #19
stevenluczynski

well this week I've been following this workout http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...out-split.html and paying attention to my diet.
and I will retake a picture Friday!
Old 09-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #20
dabears

Quote:
well this week I've been following this workout http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...out-split.html and paying attention to my diet.
and I will retake a picture Friday!
How do you find it? I use 3-4 sets for the power with 5 reps, and 3 sets for 8-10 (if i hit 10 I move up in weight) for the muscle ones. Amazing split if you ask me, it's a lot more intense than starting strength / stronglift type programs yet still has all the big lifts within same rep ranges which I love.

POST YOUR DIET!!!