E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #21
lsteg

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by aahmed2016 View Post
sit guys.. alright, I didn't mean to start WWIII...
No worries.

I'd would reccomend getting the car checked out by your own mechanic and see what he says. If there is a list of issues we should be able to tell you if it's worth it.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #22
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
Quote:
sit guys.. alright, I didn't mean to start WWIII...
ahem.........

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #23
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
should I go to the dealer, or an indy?
A car is a significant purchase. I'd start with the CARFAX. If that is acceptable to you, then it makes sense to make a small investment to help insure you get what you expect for your money. Unless you know cars very well, without a PPI (and objective comparison with the vehicle you currently own), making plans to sell your current car might be premature.

If you have an indie that you trust (and, even better, knows the e46), that's the best. If not, a local dealer with a good reputation in the service dept is your best bet.

If you are OK with the results of the PPI and decide to follow your friend's suggestion (and he has a pretty strong financial interest in the matter), keep in mind a couple of things:
  • The dealer may not want to sell your current car on commission.
    You would need to find another that wants to sell on commission, or sell it yourself. Unless you have mad sales and negotiation skills, this probably means a lower transaction price than a retail sale.
  • A commission arrangement is one where the devil is in the details.
    Fixed commmission? How much is fair?
    A percentage of sale price? How much is fair?
    A combination? How much makes sense?
    Do you have the legal background to write a clear and enforceable contract? If not, you'll want to visit an attorney.
  • You may recall that the common wisdom from the list is that the car you have now wasn't worth $7K. Granted, this was sight-unseen, but some thought less.
    These assessments were from people who are passionate about E46s. The dealer may not find another buyer at the price you paid. In that case, you are out the difference between what you paid and the selling price, plus the commission.
  • If he does sell on commission, he may not push the sale as hard vs. a car he owns. It could take a long time to sell and the car won't get more valuable with age.
    This is because his profit is likely to be smaller. Your commission will probably be far less than his average markup which pays for the salesperson's commission, rent on the land and other overhead, plus profit. He also has loans to "floorplan" the other cars. So selling one of his own means taking something from the cost side of the ledger. I can imagine something like this: Oh, you like that 325? It does look nice, but has almost 200K miles. Unless you're in love with the color, why not look at this 330/328/Audi/C-class/Infinity/ etc. instead? It has much lower miles!
  • The likely result is that you will come out of this weeks--or even months--later with a lot less money.

If you decide that this "new" vehicle is twaht you want, it might be easier to shop your car around to a couple of dealers and sell it outright. If you get $6K (which isn't likely for "trade-in" value), then you are even money (less taxes) and almost no hassle. If it looks like the car will bring less, then it is time to decide whether this new vehicle is worth the cost differential compared to what you now own.

Last edited by sunsetcoast; 09-26-2012 at 09:23 AM.
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #24
tkrotchko

My Ride: 2002 330i
This is great wisdom.
tkrotchko is offline   Reply With Quote