E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
silver330xi379

My Ride: 330xi
Brakes and Rotors need help

I need brakes and rotors for my 330xi, i think i want to go the ceramic pad route to cut down on dust but I dont want to lose any braking performance from the OEMs. Any suggestions on good pads and rotors?
silver330xi379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
not possible it u want to cut down on dust...
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
silver330xi379

My Ride: 330xi
Would drilled or slotted rotors with ceramic pads help the performance to match the oem performance
silver330xi379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
ModBargains.com
Sponsor

My Ride: E46 323ci / E92 335i
Id' recommend that you check out theStopTech Stage 2 Brake Upgrade Kit (Blank Rotors/ST Performance Pads) E46 3XX/M3. Th StopTech Stage 2 Brake Kit includes StopTech Street Performance Brake Pads for the front and rear, front and rear Centric E-Coated Rotors, front and rear Stainless Steel Brake Lines, and 3 bottles of StopTech STR600 Brake Fluid. A stage 2 brake upgrade kit is designed to fit your vehicle's stock calipers, and is an excellent choice for the enthusiast whose rotors are nearing the end of their service life. It's an affordable solution that will perform better than the OEM brakes!

BMW Wheels In Stock | BMW Intake Experts
Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am-6:00pm / Sat 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates and discounts!
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Hawk hps pads on blank rotors.
From oe the brake dust is light night and day. I don't notice dust after driving like I did before. In fact I barely notice dust at all. Only after autocross.
Braking is very close to oe with a little less bite and a little less predictability under very hard braking. You will not notice either under normal use.

Modbargains has the best prices for those pads as far as I know

Last edited by peytonracer4; 09-27-2012 at 09:24 PM.
peytonracer4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:30 AM   #6
choxor

My Ride: JDM
I ran the akebono pads on my old 330ci. Way better on dust. Like peyton said, though, they don't have the same bite as OEM, but since I just DD the car it wasn't a concern. It didn't hurt performance.

Drilled and slotted rotors aren't going to do anything for performance. There's LESS surface area on those rotors. It's to help dissipate heat and prevent fading if you're racing the car. If you're just DDing the car it does nothing except add blang blang with less braking surface.

What matters are the pads and unfortunately there's the tradeoff. If you want good bite and the best stopping power it's going to be an aggressive compound that's going to dust a lot. "Dustless" pads don't produce nearly as much dust, but there's going to be a lot less bite as well. So it all comes down to your needs and what's more important to you.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:34 AM   #7
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Adding to what he said above^
With my hawk hps pads: although I do have less bite, but I'm willing to bet the stopping distance is just about the same with these pads. The bite and overall feel is just going to be more predictable and better "feeling" with stock pads.

Last edited by peytonracer4; 09-28-2012 at 01:37 AM.
peytonracer4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #8
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
akebonos, HPS, GreenStuffs, all will have slightly less "bite" but they'll still maintain plenty of stopping force. As peytonracer4 said they have a more predictable feel over stock pads.

As far as drilled or slotted rotors adding performance. Well on the street you're not likely to push the brakes hard enough for the cooling effects of slotted/drilled rotors to be seen, but they do cool a bit better than blank rotors.

As for suggestions for your 330xi. If you want to stick with blank rotors Meyle rotors are very popular, they are a quality rotor which happens to also be nice on the wallet. HERE is a link to them for your car. For pads, I'm partial to EBC GreenStuffs on daily drivers, they are low dusting performance oriented pads. HERE is a link to them.

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
Pierce1

My Ride: 03 330xi
I'm running Porterfield R4S pads on my 330XI.
Pierce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #10
Pierce1

My Ride: 03 330xi
They are a street version of one of their track compounds. R4's. Dusting isn't bad at all. Initial bite is a little lower than OEM, but that's what you get with a higher temperature tolerant brake pad.
Pierce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Get in touch with Anthony at BimmerBrakes. He'll hook you up. Always takes care of me and my friends. Always happy.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #12
vbfronkis

My Ride: 2001 325iT
I went with ACDelco blank rotors (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o04_s00_i01) and EBC pads (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o04_s00_i00). Love the rotors as they're wearing nicely and the anti-corrosion coating keeps them looking nice. The pads, on the other hand, while they stop the car like a champ create loads of dust and every now and again squeal a bit (even though i've got anti-squeal on there). Performance wise, for the money they're great value. I'd just go with different pads next time due to the dust. (Though they've given my front rims a nice coating and are making me consider plasti-diping my rims haha)
Old 09-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #13
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
When did this thread comes to a FS Ad? He was asking what should he get and etc...

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 09-28-2012 at 10:28 AM.
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #14
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
High performance brakes work good on the track, not so good on the street. The reason is that brakes need heat to work, more correctly they make heat as they work, but if the pad material is formulated to withstand high heat then they don't work very well when the heat is very low, such as when driving around town.

It is a fine line between low dust and good performance on the street. If brake pads are soft enough to work well when cold, they will be dusty. If they are hard enough to be dust free, then they don't work so good when cold.

On the track, you barrel into a corner and have to scrub the speed from 80 to 30 (whatever) and then set up for the next turn where you mash the brake pedal all over again. This makes the brakes hot, and high performance pads are a must else the heat will cause serious brake fade. But the same brakes that work well on the track will be entirely too cold to work well when the traffic on the freeway comes to a stop for no apparent reason.

The point is, you need to buy brakes for the primary purpose of having the car. Getting low-dust pads can actually harm braking performance if you go overboard.

Personally, I see no harm in taking the pads from factory stock to the next level harder -- a switch from whatever the composite material is to a semi-metalic, for example -- would strike a good balance of maintaining brake performance while reducing dust. I made a switch on my E36 from whatever was on the car to the Raybestos ProGrade Plus, which is a semi-metalic pad. I found the brake dust was reduced significantly, with a capital S, but there was also new noise from the brakes that was not there previously.

Harder pads are often more noisy, and you hear the noises as the car approaches full stop. As you drive down the street and the light ahead changes to red, you slow as you always do. As you get to a near-stop, speeds below 10mph in my experience, the brakes made an audible screech. I don't know that this can be fixed or not, I chalked it up to the pads that don't make dust, or a lot less dust than the pads they replaced.

All I am saying is, there are implications to the decision you are making today. Understand what they are, and drive happy.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #15
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
if your using it as a daily driver and not a track car I wouldn't bother worrying about the stopping power difference between oem and ceramic. Its really not that much of a difference.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote