E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
Support a Fanatic (original music content)

Fellow Fanatics,

I am in an original band based in St. Paul, MN and my band has been out working hard to tighten up for some upcoming studio sessions. We have been together for 10 years and we don't really have any false hopes (or ambition) about being rock star, we are just really trying hard to put out good solid original music.

Since I spend a lot of time on this board I was hoping to get some support. I know not everyone will like what we do, but the price is right (free) and maybe some will enjoy it. Feel free to leave comments and feedback, good or bad!

Thanks for the support!

******** width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KAM7VDSbbl8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>*********>

Last edited by Brevik; 09-27-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Brevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
Brevik

bump
Old 09-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
I like it a lot man, awesome work.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
Saintluk2

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
My first listen. After 1:47 the instrumental starts nice but seems monotonous fast in my opinion (probably cause i'm not that into that particuler guiter rift). Just before the lyrics start up again at 2:20 i'm enjoying the song again ! IMO

Last edited by Saintluk2; 09-27-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Saintluk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
Brevik

Thanks guys!
Old 09-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
Brevik

Thanks to anyone who viewed the video, I was half expecting to be torn to shreds on here (although I suppose there is still time) as you guys can be a tough crowd sometime.

Thanks again as I appreciate the feedback!
Old 09-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Well done brother

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
Oqey

My Ride: BMW e46 330i sport
Nice dong guys! Like it too
Oqey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
Brevik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oqey View Post
Nice dong guys! Like it too
Old 09-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #10
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
OP,

I really liked the song a lot too, but rather than just leave it there, I'll be somewhat critical too.

First, though, know that I'm old, so listen for other stuff than maybe the kids and your audience would want to hear...and two, because as you may or may not know, I'm trying to get myself better at stand up, and although it pains me to hear criticism, I also really value the suggestions I've gotten from my friends (not really, but it sounds good, right? LOL).

Seriously, though, I think you have a lot of talent in your group. It's easy to listen to, interesting to listen to, and catchy. That said, and I'll try to be careful since I don't know who you are in the group (LOL!)...

I think you could do more with backing vocals...add a touch more harmony (or something). The backing sounds like a detuned instrument...seemingly just a little flat (not sure it's flat really), but I think more harmony in the back would give it more interest and character. Also, I couldn't get all the lyrics, but think the 'come around on you' is too much of the song...and think maybe if you repeated the verses more and cut down on the refrain a little, the song would have more import/impact.

...and for my final 'number' (and I really don't mean to do a 'number' on you)...I like to see the song change intensity as you get to the end. Build up to greater drama, so even as you're repeating the chorus, it's changing...building up.

All that said, even if you totally ignore my amateur impressions, let us know when you're appearing! I've done that with my 'comedy' and although only few have attended my performances, I have to say that having the support of totally random people I 'know' from just here has really given me great false hope and helped me to continue on...and I don't think I would have without the support I've gotten from here. I hope your mileage doesn't vary from mine!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
Brevik

Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Well done brother
Old 09-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #12
Brevik

Thanks Doug!

This is a busy board and you may not remember me, but I did give you a little advice before your first live comedy show via pm where I advised you to go in with a plan and not try to totally wing it, I hope that was helpful

I am the guitar player incase you were wondering. I appreciate your feedback and I will take it all into consideration, I think a little build up would work towards the end of the song.

B. Vocals: We have a studio version with vocals that are (closer to being lol) in key with three part harmonys, but as you know in a live situation it can get a little loose.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
OP,

I really liked the song a lot too, but rather than just leave it there, I'll be somewhat critical too.

First, though, know that I'm old, so listen for other stuff than maybe the kids and your audience would want to hear...and two, because as you may or may not know, I'm trying to get myself better at stand up, and although it pains me to hear criticism, I also really value the suggestions I've gotten from my friends (not really, but it sounds good, right? LOL).

Seriously, though, I think you have a lot of talent in your group. It's easy to listen to, interesting to listen to, and catchy. That said, and I'll try to be careful since I don't know who you are in the group (LOL!)...

I think you could do more with backing vocals...add a touch more harmony (or something). The backing sounds like a detuned instrument...seemingly just a little flat (not sure it's flat really), but I think more harmony in the back would give it more interest and character. Also, I couldn't get all the lyrics, but think the 'come around on you' is too much of the song...and think maybe if you repeated the verses more and cut down on the refrain a little, the song would have more import/impact.

...and for my final 'number' (and I really don't mean to do a 'number' on you)...I like to see the song change intensity as you get to the end. Build up to greater drama, so even as you're repeating the chorus, it's changing...building up.

All that said, even if you totally ignore my amateur impressions, let us know when you're appearing! I've done that with my 'comedy' and although only few have attended my performances, I have to say that having the support of totally random people I 'know' from just here has really given me great false hope and helped me to continue on...and I don't think I would have without the support I've gotten from here. I hope your mileage doesn't vary from mine!
Old 09-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #13
dmax

I do remember that...and that spurned me on to work harder...which I did. Now, I'm working harder to live with less of a plan...and that's not working either! LOL I'll find a balance!

Back in the day, I do know from attending many live concerts, that it's a different energy...and not the same as studio.

Oh, btw, you're very good!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com

Last edited by dmax; 09-28-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
Brevik

Not going by a plan is cool, but it never hurts to have one to fall back on and I am sure you will find a good balance of reading the room and using a plan.

It is a different energy live and in this case we were thrown a total curve because the band that opened for us was a very powerful, all girl punk rock group from Japan called the "Akabane Vulgars" and they rocked, so we had to feel out the room and change it up a bit.

Here they are from a different show:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I do remember that...and that spurned me on to work harder...which I did. Now, I'm working harder to live with less of a plan...and that's not working either! LOL I'll find a balance!

Back in the day, I do know from attending many live concerts, that it's a different energy...and not the same as studio.

Last edited by Brevik; 09-28-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #15
Brevik

Honestly how do you follow these chicks?
Old 09-29-2012, 05:48 AM   #16
dmax

From the first vid I saw, I thought you were 10 times better! But, that said, even when you think the act before you is better than you, you have to remember that you're not the audience.

I've been up after comics that got much bigger laughs than I ended up getting--but you know what, I still think I'm funnier! LOL

Of course, you can always begin by giving the great band before you props...asking for another round of applause for them. You're all part of the same show, and although the business is competitive, you don't need to make a show that...it's a cooperative effort to make a good show for the audience.

If you ever want a warm up act that sucks so you sound better...give me a call! I know all the words to Ave Marie and La Donna Immobile...and also UB40's 'Reggae Music.' I'm sure I have a horrible singing voice, so would be glad to help you out!

A recent set

Old 09-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #17
Brevik

You are correct Doug, when it comes down to it we are all part of the same show and we always make sure to give the other acts on the bill some love, in this case I was just blown away by those girls and felt like we had to step up our act. I have some video from the show they did with us were they did house of the rising sun that I am going to post to YouTube that was what really hooked me.

I have watched some of your stand up and enjoyed it so if we ever get out your way I will look you up!
Old 09-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #18
dmax

http://www.salamanderarmy.com/

"I was born on a cold December morning at a low income hospital on Chicago Ave in big time Minneapolis. I was so ugly when I was born the doctor slapped my parents. I grew up in a small town in Northern Mn called Parkers Prairie where the population always stay's the same, every time a kid is born some guy leaves town.

I met the guy's from Salamander Army through a friend. We played two gigs. One at a coffee shop and one in Dave's basement, know as the kegger. Although Mike moved on, they couldn't shake me that easily. We tried out many bass players and none of them really worked out. I stuck around until Nick had a meltdown possibly provoked by me, and left us without a drummer. "

That's so funny! Everyone wants to be a comedian, I guess! LOL You weren't born on December 2 by any chance, were you?

Anyway, I'm sure that Japanese Girls band is better than they sounded to me...and House of the Rising Sun is a great song...so I'd like to hear their version of it!

You make it out this way, I'll definitely come out...and if you let me know in advance, I'll pitch your show during my show...if I get any more!

A recent set

Old 09-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #19
Brevik

My dad who is the drummer in that video was born Dec 2nd! I just posted the video of them doing house of the rising sun on YouTube, I will post it here in a bit.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #20
Brevik