E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > Site Feedback/Questions/Suggestions

Site Feedback/Questions/Suggestions
Do you have feedback/questions/ideas/suggestions about the site? Post them here.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
fastsoup

My Ride: currently seeking
50 minimum post

When I was over at MY.IS forum, they never allowed an account to post classified ads unless they had made a minimum of 50 "legitimate" posts. I have seen two beautiful sets of rims for sale, but I am hesitant because they have the 1 post...

Mods, please consider adding this rule to our forum to keep it nice and clean.
fastsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
kaldE46

My Ride: 2001 325i
Maybe you should put this in the site feedback section.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
ryohei

My Ride: '06 325ci w/ sport
I am in favor of an idea like this, but i have noticed this forum seems to have a lot of lurkers who wouldn't have a high post count, me included.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Old 09-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I've been on forums where you're required just a few posts before you can start a thread...and that would seemingly help reduce our recent spate of drive-by spammers.

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
choxor

My Ride: JDM
I totally agree. I've made this comment when reporting threads before when the thread's been in general and the person's first post is a classified.

There should be some kind of post count before being able to post classifieds. It would help deter scam artists.

Dmax, I agree with that as well, however I've noticed in the past that the bots will reply to threads with stuff like "looks great" or "okay" before creating their own threads so the minimum post limit would have to be pretty high to be effective.

Last edited by choxor; 09-28-2012 at 01:02 PM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
I made this same request years ago. I was told something like then you'd need a moderator to just patrol the Classifieds and they didn't have time. I was also told a scammer is going to Scam no matter what limits are set and best to beware of any seller and use common sense in any and all deals.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
fastsoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
i totally agree. I've made this comment when reporting threads before when the thread's been in general and the person's first post is a classified.

There should be some kind of post count before being able to post classifieds. It would help deter scam artists.

Dmax, i agree with that as well, however i've noticed in the past that the bots will reply to threads with stuff like "looks great" or "okay" before creating their own threads so the minimum post limit would have to be pretty high to be effective.
+1
Old 09-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
fastsoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
I made this same request years ago. I was told something like then you'd need a moderator to just patrol the Classifieds and they didn't have time. I was also told a scammer is going to Scam no matter what limits are set and best to beware of any seller and use common sense in any and all deals.
Fair enough...but when you drop a limitation as easy as the one I have suggested, it deters people from invading this site.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Can't it be done with promotions? By default new users can't create threads until X number of posts except in maybe new member introductions? Maybe not with a 50 post minimum, but with 15 or 20? That way new members could still introduce themselves, but we wouldn't get people using the site as craigslist, it would give a chance to catch the bots before they create 5 spam threads, and it would lessen the "what intake is the best" and "what oil do I use" threads that litter general because people would be forced to search before mindlessly starting new ones.

Just my two cents.

And alex, I totally agree, it's not going to completely stop scammers. People have to rely on their own common sense when doing business on the internet, but I think it would make a pretty good deterrent for the lazier ones.

Last edited by choxor; 09-28-2012 at 02:12 PM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Can't it be done with promotions? By default new users can't create threads until X number of posts except in maybe new member introductions? Maybe not with a 50 post minimum, but with 15 or 20? That way new members could still introduce themselves, but we wouldn't get people using the site as craigslist, it would give a chance to catch the bots before they create 5 spam threads, and it would lessen the "what intake is the best" and "what oil do I use" threads that litter general because people would be forced to search before mindlessly starting new ones.
Just my two cents.

And alex, I totally agree, it's not going to completely stop scammers. People have to rely on their own common sense when doing business on the internet, but I think it would make a pretty good deterrent for the lazier ones.
I absolutely agree. It was not my response, mine was a call to have a minimum post count to weed out those bad elements. I have posted this suggestion more than once.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #11
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Shiet.

There should be a minimum post of 50 in a separate room before you can post anything on here.

This place is an idiot magnet.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote